Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Go

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ah you'll never keep everyone happy all of the time.

There are more GAA games than ever available on free to air.

Despite the GAA being made up of a tonne of volunteers there are significant bills to pay. It costs money to broadcast a match, some more than others depending on any number of variable.

The solution to the problem is for the state to throw another, let's say ten million a year , into the GAA for them over the lost rights packages and throw another 8 or 10 million between RTE/TV3/TG4 in grant funding to support broadcasting fees. The money can come from the redistribution of the gambling tax income which currently only goes to HRI and greyhound racing.

Job done, every match free to air, all parties happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

The comment that "there are more GAA matches free to air than ever" is another false argument. There's a real demand for only a limited amount of games. Pointing out that you can watch a whole host of games you don't want to watch is irrelevant. Put the big games on free to air and then if there's such a convincing argument that Wicklow v Longford is so compelling that it needs to be shown on TV but "costs money" to broadcast then charge and see if it pays for itself. The delusional argument about the number of games being shown would soon be shown up for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What's false about it?

Aren't there more GAA matches free to air than ever? Aren't all of the "business end" of the season games FTA?

I personally don't want to watch any games that don't involve my county and for a significant proportion of the GAA watching audience that's the same barring an AI final or similiar. Indeed, there's only certain sports that I watch in any event - should the broadcaster cater to my own personal requirements?

But is that fair either on the "smaller counties"? Or shouldn't we try to grow the game but making the less attractive game FTA?

The whole thing will be sorted either way with the solution I've described above anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There are more games than when the championships were just one outing a year for 16 or so counties in football. Or when the hurling was about 15 games in total. The extra games were created in the football Qualifiers, and the three lower tier hurling competitions. And round robins. Now we have the Tailteann, which people can ignore

None of this was done with a view to giving wall to wall TV coverage. It is part of an ongoing process to turn what were originally straight knockout competitons into something which gives a second chance or more to the also rans. People will get more Free to Air games than in the old days. But that won't make everyone happy. Something which is not often mentioned, is the "rights" of the majority of TV viewers who have no interest in any sport, never mind GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Firstly, there is no Free To Air TV in Ireland, any TV viewing is subject to a TV license, of is it 165 E a year (edit) or something.

The 5 year deal - I'd say whoever RTE /GAA are getting the money from to invest in the streaming service would need some certainty that it wasn't going to be thrown up after one year

Virgin are full of sh1te IMHO. If they are so worried and interested in providing free access to sport, they have rights to Champions League and Europa League and international games, most Iof which is behind a pay wall. That's fine, that's their model, but when stay out of this argument it's nothing to do with you, you have shown zero interest in showing any gaa. Regarding the above idea of the government buying and distributing the rights (if they are so worried about Timmy in Borris being able to see that first round Leinster game), I can guarantee Virgin will look for more money to produce the shows as they are making a loss on it or something.

Leo and Micheal are so worried about people not having access to streaming, who is responsible for putting in decent infrastructure around the country like broadband if not these clowns 🤡

People say Hurling is our national sport, I disagree.... Giving RTE a kicking when you get the chance is the national sport in many quarters. What next, free admission into every game in the country because people think the tickets are too expensive? Will we lay on free busses and taxis to bring ye too?

Post edited by theoneeyedman on

• Advertisement

It is something, but not €165 a week.

Funny how the GAA partnered up with RTE to develop a streaming service when RTE have such a poor record with their own RTE Player.

Cost wise the GAAGO app is about 50% the annual cost of the likes of Netflix or Disney Plus for 38 or 39 games and some archived matches vs all the content on the other streaming services deliver. An advertising supported model would have been a better approach.

I think people would be more willing to pay for the service if the GAA turned professional, the players who there would be no income generation without deserve to get a portion of the revenue the GAA collects. We are always told that the money is used to support local clubs but if that's the case why do local clubs need so many church gate collections, shop bagging collections, lotto's, car raffles, property raffles, donations from businesses and membership fees when the GAA is raking in nearly €100,000,000 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,667 ✭✭✭elefant

GAAGO is only €59 a for a year in Ireland - it's very good value. It was a bit more expensive for me, as I live abroad, but I get even more value for it since I wouldn't have access to any games on Irish television otherwise.

I can't say I've really felt that same frustration with how the GAA spends its money, as you've highlighted there. What areas do you think they spend too much money on, and should be spending elsewhere? The only expenditure of the GAA that I have qualms with is how much goes towards the GPA, and obviously I'd have even more issues with that if they decided to start paying inter-county players from the proceeds of volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Butson

I don't agree with that.

The intercounty season is now 3 months long. Looking at last year, I paid €10 per month for Sky sports pass on NOW TV. Got all the other sports they show too, including Irelands rugby games in New Zealand etc.

Most people in Ireland are general sports fans, we watch everything.

Sky deal was way better value for money and was easier access.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

GAAGO made 1 million in PROFIT in 2021. That's long before they got their hands on the Munster hurling championship. They say their figures are now commercially sensitive... (McBennett) how are they sensitive when there's no competition?

This whole thing stinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

There's a strong case to just have RTE cover the semifinals and final in both GAA codes free to air. Let everything else go behind a paywall and then there can be no confusion. As for auld ones down the sticks, let their local clubs sort them out. Trip to the pub or community hall.

GAA's revenue for 2022 96 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

All the matches cannot be on free-to-air, unless they set up a new channel(s). Clearly something needs to happen with streaming, that's just the reality, and I guess GAAGO or similar cannot exist for free if they need presenters, cameramen, equipment and so on.

I think Donal Og's point was why do so many of the big Munster hurling games seem to be behind a paywall. Hurling has relatively few games so you shouldn't need to put so many behind a paywall. How can 3 of Clare's 4 championship games be on GAAGO, seems a bit off to me?

Perhaps the top games should all be free-to-air and GAAGO is used to stream the other "leftover" games which cannot be on regular TV. I know that would mean GAAGO get less subscribers but maybe it needs to be just a service created to break even rather than make money. GAA needs income but they also need to promote the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,667 ✭✭✭elefant

Clare Limerick was slated to be on RTE, but the match was moved because of the Great Limerick Run, and if GAAGO hadn't picked it up it wouldn't have been shown at all.

With that, it was originally planned that 3 of the 5 Munster hurling games so far would have been on RTE. And it would have been 5 of 8 by May 21. The whole thing is being way overblown.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭vid36

Gaago should offer a monthly package.People are saying the Christmas offer was good value but who wants to pay 5 or 6 months in advance when the fixtures have not fully been determined.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If Mayo v Kerry (arguably the two best football teams in the country ATM) Saturday-week turns out to be a solid-gold classic, there'll be riots in the street over this...

As a 50% stakeholder, in essence, is the GAA paying itself for the rights to show games? How would that pass an investigation from the competition authority?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kerry_2008

The GAA and RTE are never going to win in this situation. If the 2 Munster Hurling games were terrible matches there would be no argument about it. Just happens they were behind a paywall and the 2 provincial championships finals show were terrible. All the provincial finals are FTA as far as I am aware. And there is hurling on the next few weeks. They Kerry V Mayo and Tyrone V Galway matches are on GAAGo Sat week and both have the potential to be crackers.

If GAAGo wasnt around there would be far less matches to watch. TV3 / VM didnt want to pay the money to broadcast matches and RTE couldn't afford to show all the matches with schedules etc. Antrim & Killkenny wouldn't have been shown in any form last week apart from a 2 min report on the Sunday Game. Everything can't be FTA. RTE were obliged to show the 2 game on Sunday with their rights package where as the GAAGo have Saturday nights in the old sky slots with some added single camera games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Yeah, and charities pass on 100% of the money they get. Nobody ever skims off the top.

I think you know a lot more about this than you are letting on. But you keep posing questions to us anonymous people on the internet, as if we had the answers. Just come out with your information, and keep us all in the loop.

• Advertisement

• "All the matches cannot be on free-to-air, unless they set up a new channel(s)."

The RTE News channel was used to broadcast soccer World Cup games if there was a few on on the one day. Why can't they do similar for the GAA games?

• But that €10 per month NOW TV offer isn't available all the time. I logged into my old account yesterday to check out the current offers, and was offered Sky Sports for €20pm for 3 months, otherwise the full price is €39pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Butson

Fair enough, but even at €20 it's way better value than GAA Go. The local pub here has Sky and BT, costs them an arm and a leg. Owner was saying yet another bill for GAA Go for the pubs, said he couldn't justify it.

• I'd agree. It's horrible that multiple subs are needed to view stuff. You need more than one sub to view English premier league soccer for instance. A commercial sub for GAA Go is €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭shmeee

Correct, the new spilt season is so compacted. Something had to give - and because the games turned out to be crackers, the country is up in arms.

What annoys me is many saying why aren't games played in Aug & Sep and spread out the games so more TV slots available..... At this point you got to just laugh, you know these people don't follow a local club. The spilt season is the best thing to happen to club players in recent years, they can plan their lives for a change and know the master club fixture plan early in the year. The club game has never been as strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I've heard this argument quite a few times that if the Munster hurling games were poor there would be nothing said. I don't agree with this at all. How poor could they be anyway with the teams involved and so much at stake? Even if a game wasn't great i would still want to see it to see which team and what players were playing well. Whether the match is top class or otherwise it doesn't change it for me that the big Munster hurling games should be free to air.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Didn't the old Sky package have two of the provincial football finals? (or definitely at least one). Will be interesting at the end of the season to see what games were FTA and what games were GAAGo exclusive. Fair point on the marginal games but aren't RTE sending a camera or two there anyway for Sunday Game highlights for most of the medium to larger games - how much extra production and cost goes into a low scale live online broadcast with no punditry?

When it comes down it, RTE arent showing the business end of the championship for the good of their health either - the two finals in '22 were in the top 5 most watched programmes in the country, the Kerry Dub SF was 16th, Limerick semi 34th, Galway Derry Semi 44th and the Munster final 49th. Audience for all these was greater than 400k. This was also in a world cup year which occupied 13 of the slots. So it's fair to say that the business end of the championship has the audience and it would be quite the take that Virgin would have no interest in any of these games.

It's a given that RTE will have the "incumbent" advantage and will get the big games but maybe Virgin have no interest because the package on offer for them to bid on wouldn't generate the audience to justify the spend - ie the GAA can devise the packages and can control the outcome it wants. If RTE have used taxpayers money to hoover up rights and then helped to put them behind a paywall then I'd expect this ruckus to cause some further scrutiny from "on high". If some peripheral TDs in marginal seats (cough Alan Dillon cough) can make noise and being seen to fight the "Dublin media" then they'll take it.

Its €59 a year when on promotion its normally €79 a year or €12 for an individual game.

The GAA charge professional rates and pay the board high end professional salaries for sports in Ireland. As an organization it needs to decide if its a professional sport or a amateur sport. If its the former they need to start paying the players a wage so they can focus on the sport full time and if its the latter they need to stop squeezing every penny out of supporters and there should be no six figure salaries in an amateur sporting organization.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

It's false because it assumes the quality of the service is measurable by the number of games and not what games they are. Nobody is going to have the time or desire to watch a huge number of games. It was Declan McBennett's argument the other day on the news but it was irrelevant then too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jelutong

I got Vodafone TV a week ago. Sky Sports €10 per month for 12months.

Advertisement