Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Tow

Cawlur, I always wanted a tour of Ardnacrusha.

I had planned to visit a finished but not commissioned 1970/80's nuclear power station, but de Covid hit. Ended up being told to wash my hands for few years. I need to hurry up, because de current powers that be are planning to fuel that almost 50 years old reactor. Total madness! They must count in Joe years. But it is a vanity project to finish off dictator daddy's work. I suppose they could build a modern reactor and use it to power the original Westernhouse turbines, but we will see.

Anyway, until almost 30 years ago nursing was thought using an apprenticeship type system. The teaching hospitals had live in accommodation for student nurses, they did a few months training and then alternated between being on the wards and having classroom lessons.

This was all scrapped and Nursing became a university degree subject. The scrapping of the old system was what started our continuing nursing shortages.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,569 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Why are you replying to a post of mine that's nearly a year old and makes absolutely no sense in this context?

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 39,569 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

The Marcos Project?

Sounds like a 70s thriller, riddled with graft, corruption, sleaze and betrayal.

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Will I be able to insult a few people before this happens?

Cawlur, It is like our Children Hospital on steroids. Multiple times over budget, delays, committees, fix the issues after 3rd party safety inspections (which I believe cost as much as the original project again), then let to sit there for 40 years unused with a minimum maintenance crew. They even had all the fuel rods ready, but eventually sent them back to America.

As Uncle Gaybo would say from on Banana Republic to another Banana Republic.

At least we only got at far as laying the foundations for our Nuclear Power plant before cancelling the project.

Recode, was your aul man involved in that project, I believe it was in Rosslare?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

• Yes, I knew people who literally apprenticed to be nurses, they got a very good hands-on training and became aware early on whether it was a suitable career or not. Even if they changed career before becoming registers nurse the training stood to them, eg to become an Aer Lingus flight attendant having done some nurse training was considered an asset.

But decades back, I’m talking 1930s, nursing wasn’t considered a “suitable career for a young lady of social standing”, as evidenced when my mother’s cousin dearly wanted to care for people and asked her parents to talk to a doctor friend and get her into nursing. Her parents said it was more like the work the maid would do, and sent her on for banking instead 🙁 which was considered a highly respectable career. Dems were de daze, as my mother said her cousin would have made a splendid nurse as she later proved when caring for her mother & brother when he was dying of cancer.

I am surprised at that. Both de grannies were nurses from well to do families. When one married my grandfather who was a solicitor, it was seen as marrying beneath her. Her parents objected and there was some sort of family rift there after. Then again to 'Da Wealthy Farmer' marrying a Banker/Doctor/Solicitor who had to put in a days actual work would have been a lower social class back them.

• I can’t imagine O MungYawn doing hairdresser radio but I wonder will he let up on the GAA at all today and field calls about how we were robbed of going on to win the Eurovision with “We’ve been done”.

It’s World Lupus Day (9 out of 10 victims are wimmens) and these mainly female patients are being denied a treatment available for 10 years elsewhere. Lupus can very much be a killer disease, it wrecks organs and kills the immune system. Surely Joe would love to cover this topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭golondrinas

The dreaded DoS . A scary thing years ago on DOS in the floppy disk era. i wonder where i put that commodore (must be worth a few bob now to some anorack) .

• Advertisement

• I visited the one at Wylfa (rhymes with Fanny) on Anglesey in the 1980s. An indoor “attraction” on a rainy day. On the same trip I did a rally driving course and visited the Centre for Alternative Technology which was established to showcase the potential future of green energy. Fantastic centre, I considered buying a solar panel but they were priced beyond my pocket. I spent that money instead on a ride on board a vintage aircraft in a DeHavilland Rapide at Caernarfon Airport. I was quite new to driving, had just passed my test, almost straight away took the car over on the ferry. When I think of it, in my 20s, I thought nothing of taking on the rally driving course, but alas with very little driving experience I was slowest, by 4 seconds, in a race against 3 lads!

How banking has fallen. The Black Axe Nigerian crew has people working in irish banking. Very lucrative for them .Gets the cash through our system more smoothly. Theres plenty of that going by the sophisticated scams described on here.I studiously ignore all the scam warnings now as we know no matter what passwords, pins you give away wont BOI give it all back to you.!! If BOI runs out sure wont we refinance them again. great little country indeed.

• Nursing & banking swapped status. Re scams, the sheer amount of them pouring into my email etc etc etc is unbelievable. And very often a phishing email would arrive which could seem pertinent to a recent transaction if you weren’t examining each email closely.

Some of it worrisome too, eg I had recently updated payment method on a legit genealogy site (and not via link of course) having been originally prompted to by a legit email; several days later I got a phishing fake email from an imitator of the company stating they were “still awaiting update of payment method”. The update had been effective on the legit site.

The timing was very suspicious, and I suspect the site has been hacked, bi-annual subscription dates obtained by SQL from the database (actual payment methods being on separate sever etc) and said subscription dates used for phishing, as everyone has to update payment methods every couple of years. It’s one people could easily fall for if you weren’t very much on your guard and did t have insight into how these things are done. I really do believe there should be education TV programs about protecting yourself, and explaining exactly why rather than simply patronising people into believing they couldn’t grasp the concepts of how hacking is accomplished. When people understand stuff they are more empowered.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I’d say it’s Eurovision day today if Cuulim is at the wheel.

Cuulimm wouldn’t be cut out for ‘hairdresser radio’ I’d leave that genre to D’Arcy.

He was like a child in a chocolate factory yesterday, like Tubridy after getting a big bag of box-sets.

My goodness…

• Registered Users Posts: 15,351 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Eurovision - Didn't see it, I've never heard de Irish song either TBH.......though I heard something about dem trying to be all woke and sh1t with somebody saying a man is a woman or vice versa.

......but I'd be happy with a show of bitter callers whinging about how we were cheated and "all dem eastern bloc countries just vote for each udder Joe" etc

"It's a disgace"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Expunge

I hope there's discussion of how that poor lead singer had his manhood horribly squashed into that gold jumpsuit.

Maybe GAA legends of the past could call in to share their experiences of "no ballroom" syndrome.

People may recall how unbelievably tight GAA shorts were back in the 70s and 80s.

It's a disgrace, Cullum. I thought we had left such barbaric practices behind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

He’ll go down in history as the man with 2 bums!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭notwhoyouthink

When is Joe back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭johnbarrett35

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

What a bizarre choice of clip to use in the advert. An unintelligible caller speaking over the host with a rambling, incoherent point.

Oh wait, that's a perfect clip.

• Advertisement

He's drinking frothy beers and playing Boules with the locals in his French hamlet by day and enjoying domination in one of the many Cote d'Azur fetish clubs by night.

Maybe time to see a graveyard or the preserved remains of a local saint now and again.

Cawlur, It is AIB de Tax Payer has bailed out (I believe) a total of 3 times. I am losing count at this stage.

BOI sold their crown jewels, so got a 'smaller' bail out.

In any event, you appear to be correct. BOI will cover scam events. However, de foreign banks like Revolut will happily let customers swing.

Yes it probably is. Linen suit, Panama hat and a silk scarf on him as he searches the lavender covered fields with his canvas and easel looking for the perfect spot for an afternoons painting 🎨

All the while with a Tupperware bowl of coddle and a chardonnay in his wicker picnic hamper (carried around for his Majesty by his manservant, Yew Ormond)

Well, it's a better image than him cursing as he steps over the dogsh1t, needles, broken bottles and used condoms on Dollymount Strand.

Was there no promo today?

There was. Eurovision... Are we still paying for sending Dustin that time?

How is it that Croatias song can get through and ours didn't?

Do the rest of Europe hate us?

Was the jist of it.

Well I don't think it helped not having the UK voting last night.

• Advertisement

Aaaah heeeyur……maybe the needles ,broken bottles,used condoms,and the couple of dozen fully loaded nappies might be correct but is t the Bull Island flooded with dog wardens now it says in the papers?

Friend of mine took his lurcher out for a trot and he suddenly stopped and lifted the tail to drop a copper bolt.

Friend says he was ‘fully crowned” when a dog warden came out of the bushes and pulled the bolt from the hounds hoop with a litter picker!

” Bag that me good man he says,and take you and your canine out of here”.

”We have standards here now”.

Now I doubt that happened but that’s what the lad said.

Advertisement