Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Munster Build-up Tread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

I agree with this. I had high hopes for Munster at the start of the season as I thought Snyman's return would make a difference and they had another few players who ended last season in great form and who had a fantastic tour to NZ. The start was a car crash but they've turned it around and I'd say they are feeling good about where the team is at currently given the story of this season and all the current injuries notwithstanding. None of that means anything if they haven't closed the gap with Leinster though, and none of the players will consider a loss to be anything other than the full stop on what turns out to be a very bad season. I think POM, Murray, Earls, Zebo and the other senior players would be raging to be so far off the pace in Europe, never mind the URC. It's still Munster ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

that home loss to Glasgow aside

There was also the 50 points conceded in the European round of 16...

I think this season has definitely been one of progress for Munster, but that progress hasn't always been linear.

We've seen a few guys come through to the first XV and definitely an improvement in the style of play - but still there's a concern that the depth of squad isn't good enough to really challenge in Europe.

I think win or lose on Saturday, we'll have to wait until next season to really know where we stand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I don’t think anyone expected Munster to really challenge in Europe this season tho.

(And it always tickles me when you use “we” while talking about Munster, particularly when used in a thread about a game vs Leinster ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think an issue for Munster (and this will almost always be ongoing) is that you really need either a) a squad with significant depth of talent or b) a very good injury profile (which is increasingly difficult). The rationale in particular for the former is that players will inevitably move on and you need new players ready and available to step straight into the jersey and perform to the same level if standards are to be maintained.

In the next 15 months, it's conceivable that POM, Murray, Archer and John Ryan all walk away. There might be people ready to step in to their jerseys but the overall 23 (and it's very much a 23 man game now) will weaken without significant signings or younger players reaching another level.

Consistent success is almost always a matter of trying to improve a team whilst fighting the clock for certain players. In 18 months, Tadhg Beirne will be almost 34, RG Snyman is potentially gone elsewhere. It's a tough situation. I'd advocate for a couple more NIQ signings for Munster (and Ulster) to plug some gaps if it can be worked into the finances.

This weekend will largely depend on what sort of team Leinster field and their mindset for the game ahead of the following weekend. But the Munster bench will be inexperienced at best and, more likely, a stand out weak area.

If POM and Barron are ruled out, I imagine the bench will be something along the lines of Buckley, Wycherley, Salanoa, Edogbo, JOD, Kendellan, Cronin, Scannell. That bench can come on and dig in for the team to hold out Leinster but if they're coming into a game and behind, I don't see them as having the ability to change things.

No, but challenging in Europe has to be the goal in the next two years. The point was more that hammering Leinster, getting hammered by Leinster or somewhere in between will be hard to interpret until we get deep into next season or even beyond.

As Buer notes, there's a big wave of retirements looming, and it's finally looking like Fekitoa will be a loss so even keeping the current level as a baseline will be tough. I have no clue what Nankivell is like, Sean O'Brien is decent but not top-drawer.

[And by any sane definition, I'm a devout Munster fan]

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Nakiville is certainly a step down from (current form) Fekitoa, but the main pluses are:

1. hes young enough but experienced at 26 years of age with 7 seasons of super rugby experience

2. hes utility, with an ability to cover both 12 and 13 to a high degree, and wing if required.

similar to james lowe, hes in that level just below the all blacks and at 26 it looks like his chance to grab a black jersey is gone. Is he someone you could build a back line around? possibly, he has a power game along with a high skill level. When you consider the dearth of centres coming through the munster academy previously and currently he could turn out to be a very important signing.

Thornley going full on pashun, honesty, nobody-beats-Munster-twice bolloxology on MNR. If that's what Munster are relying on for the weekend they're screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Not that simple. Unfortunately and amazingly.

Failed HIA 1 BUT Pass HIA 2 & 3 - Player can return to play on DAY 7.

e.g. Sexton farce v NZ 1st test and played 2nd test 7 days later.

NOTE: Player must have "No concussion history" & "They will need to complete the 6 stages of their individualised rehabilitation AND consult with an Independent Concussion Consultant (ICC) prior to an earliest return to play of 7 days."

There is also the scenario of return to play "less than 10 days after their injury" and "earliest return to play of 12 days" as of July 1st 2022

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/player-welfare/medical/concussion/hia-protocol

Glad Fekitoa, Murray, Nash and Snyman are not playing this wkend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

He comes out with this every single time, has done for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭durthacht

bolloxology 

Bolloxology is a uniquely Irish word, I think. I don't remember hearing it anywhere else.

O'Mahony out on the field for Munster today. Obviously not ruled out yet.

Andrew Conway (and Simon Zebo) out there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

"And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Vitas Gerulaitis Munster 17 times in a row!"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Hope he's fit, but the same set of photos also show Andrew Conway running about so not sure it tells us a lot.

Unless.............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

O'Mahony looked to be doing just a fitness blast judging by the inpho photos. Insiders will probably know tomorrow whether he is available or not once his scan comes back and word filters out

Sounds like POM had some sort of a stinger. If he's training today having had a scan yesterday, it can't be much. Fully expect to see him line out on Saturday.

Huge boost for Munster ahead of the game. Ex-Munster player, Corkman, purveyor of red cards against opposition who look squint at Munster players, Frank Murphy has been appointed ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Tickets slow to sell by the looks of it. Upper tier hasn't been released yet so Ticketmaster looking to sell out lower tiers first. I ain't paying 130 quid for two pitch side seats where you haven't a clue whats going on elsewhere on the field. Will hold out for Upper tiers and birds eye view!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Capacity is set at 29K. The upper tier won't be opening.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

at this stage the lower tiers will not sell out, so no hope of the upper tiers opening.

probably looking at about 25K attendance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

No issue with Frank Murphy as referee, beside the fact it'll be a complete whistle fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Yep. I don't have any issue with perceived biases because of teams he played for. There is no player in the Munster setup whom he would have played with.

I just don't feel he has a good feel for the game. I think he's too pedantic about stuff and too inconsistent about when he's pedantic about it leading to, as you said, a whistle-fest.

But to pay him his dues. I think he has improved this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭letsbefair

Why not get a Welsh, Scottish or Italian referee. Amateur hour from the URC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

How in gods name is a Munsterman and former Munster player allowed to referee a f*cking SEMI FINAL involving Munster? The URC really doesn't help itself

Yeah. Everyone would have been delighted with Mike Adamson or Ben Whitehouse.

Neither Murphy nor URC are the issue here.

The times are Leinster playing about 6 or 7 games in Lansdowne back-to-back with quite literally days notice between the match being confirmed and the match actually taking place for people to buy tickets. Added in the fact RDS is unavailable, and 29k would be perfectly respectable.

Look at the games and attendances in Lansdowne earlier in the season when people could actually plan ahead? Munster ~45k, Racing ~42k, Ulster a full sellout, Toulouse ~47k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Also, and perhaps as much a factor, Leinster and Munster play each other frequently and Leinster have won 3 out of the last 20 fixtures between the two sides. Far cry from the days of the 2008 semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Leinster have lost 3 of the 20.

And we didn't play Munster in a semi in 2008. That was 2006

• Advertisement

Presume he means 2009 and 82,000 tickets sold.

We didn't play Munster in the 2006 SF. Noooo sir.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement