Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a bike in uk

Options
  • 28-04-2023 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Can anybody tell me how the vrt and nox tax would work on a 2014 t120 triumph bonniville bought in uk and brought to the republic. Thanks

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This isn't related to boards.ie. Moved to a forum that's related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Not sure if I can post a link, but if this link doesn't work do a quick google for "importing a motorbike from the UK into Ireland" and you will get some good information https://www.motoworld.ie/importing-a-motorcycle-to-ireland/#:~:text=VRT%20Registration%20Process,-What%20is%20the&text=correct%20registration%20process%3F-,A%20vehicle%20imported%20into%20the%20State%2C%20must%20be%20presented%20for,of%20entry%20into%20the%20State.

OK - link works. That link should provide you with all the information you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Wyomingzak

Hi is there a nox tax on used motorcycles from uk to ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

• Registered Users Posts: 35,058 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Don't forget the 23% VAT on the bike price + ferry fare or courier fee + customs agent fees.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭muddle84

How do you work out the value of the bike if you haven't bought it?

That's why you need a customs agent tbh

I mean like if youve acquired it without having to pay for it, like won it or swapped a bike?

Customs don't care about that. You are importing goods from outside the EU and will be taxed. If you can't provide a genuine invoice they'll assign a value to the goods and charge you VAT accordingly. Don't forget the VRT as well of course.

It's not a dubious tale and a very real situation. I have the option of a bike that i'll be swapping another bike for so there won't be money changing hands for it. So to be more specific, how do they determine the value? VRT is based on CC so that's easy to figure out, but the duty and VAT are based on the bike value. I can't find a Parkers price guide for bikes!

Bike is in storage in Scotland at the moment so would have to be changed over, thus the questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Money changing hands has nothing to do with it. You are exhanging one item of value for another item of value. It's the value that triggers the tax.

I assume a T120 is 1200cc, so going on that basis, the calcs are as follows, and low-balling the T120 value a bit : you will pay out just over €3,100 to bring it in.

Down to you whether it's worth it or not.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I completely understand that and that's my exact question, how do you determine the value?

By looking at what they sell for in the open market : that's how Revenue do it. If they can't find a value, they'll ring the official importer here and ask them to value it. No prizes for guessing what that does to your calcs...........

And whilst you say you are 'swapping' one bike for another, you have a value on yours, so that's your yardstick.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Those calculations make the decision for anyone lucky enough to win one of the McKinney (or the like) competitions very easy. Take the cash equivalent and run.

Not quite.

Say you won a bike worth €20k, and your bill to bring it in is (even) €10k - that's still half price. You could ride it for a year and still get €15k for it.

The calculations for cars is a much harder one to justify alright: I know someone who won a Porsche in one of those and he really wanted the car, but the numbers involved to do so were huge. You'd need to have €75k+ in your back pocket just to bring it in.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement