Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Go

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

The split season is another false argument. Games in August and September only ever affected a handful of counties and they tended to be the same counties. That was never a reason why a proper fixture list could not have been put in place.

And "the club game has never been as strong!".........(not saying you're wrong - or right) but I'm wondering how you measure this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,667 ✭✭✭elefant

The organisation is so big, so popular and so important in Irish life that it needs to be managed by competent professionals. You can't have lads on 50 grand a year running an organisation with revenue like the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,528 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

with illegal streaming growing rapidly, this could be a very risky venture for the gaa.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Why pay them more, when they made it so big, so important and so popular on 50 grand. Let them at it, they must be doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Why does The Sunday Game not use GAAGo commentary on their highlights packages? Aren’t they using GAAGo footage or no? Why is ger canning or someone else commentating on TSG on games only shown on GAAGO? Whose cameras are being used? Do Rte have cameras there?

Does MCBennett and co plan to jump ship from Rte to a more lucrative private streaming business down the line?

• Advertisement

Why so many questions? You already know the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭shmeee

I'm measuring it on games in my area, the playing numbers and the crowds attending matches. With spilt season players and supporters know what weekend games will be on, not a case of "if county X lose a qualifier game, we will have club games on the following weekend", that was never a good option and made a complete tit of the club player.

The number of teams clubs are entering in lower grades is higher, junior c etc is only taking off now last year and was a great success as was penciled into the fixture calendar and the casual player was delighted with such. If a club has more players playing the game, that a success in my book.

At the end of the day they are overseeing an amateur sporting organization and getting 6 figures for doing it. There is no doubt that the GAA is very successful in generating new sources of income but do you not agree that county level players should be getting a percentage of that income for their role in generating it. Every time the GAA generate a new stream of revenue i.e. GAAgo should we not be asking is now the time that they should turn the sport professional at county level?

This did happen in clubs and county boards around the country. It happens in all kinds of businesses, where population and demand growth causes the money involved in operations to grow massively, and the structures and individuals involved are totally unequipped to handle the new, increased responsibilities. An organisation the size of the GAA needs to have professionals of a very high calibre managing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Making it professional would completely change the sport. You could no longer reject transfers of players to other counties. Players wouldnt be released from their county to play club.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I agree, no.

I'm not opposed to players getting looked after, but why should the county players be getting the income and not the clubs? It's a community-based organisation that doesn't exist to promote the intercounty game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

But you mentioned August and September. Teams don't lose qualifier games in August and September. In general a few inter-county games in August) September is irrelevant to 99%+ of club players. The split season should have made no difference. That's a matter of organising fixtures locally. The impact of the split season is a mirage. It could've been done anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

He won't pay €300 for a year's sub? Thats ridiculous, one decent game with a nice crowd in covers him

Unless they have been reduced since 2019, there are plenty of top brass in the GAA on more than 50K.

The GAA have today revealed, for the first time, the aggregate salaries paid to senior management via their annual report. 

Director-General, Tom Ryan’s review revealed that there are 14 members of the senior executive team whose salaries amounted to €1,761,840 in 2019. Salaries are not included for each individual but the average wage across the 14 works out at €125,845. (Feb 11,2020).

Yes, and I think they should be. You couldn't attract the level of professional required to run an organisation of that size on 50k.

On the other hand, the GPA leadership are on over 100k a year on average. I don't see any reason they need to be paid anywhere near those salaries.

No problem we will just have to agree to disagree.

As I see it there is no reason why any player at any level shouldn't get a share of the income generated off the back of their hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

You can't just turn it professional at county level without completely turning the whole organisation upside down, for a start the idea of players only playing for their counties is out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

i think with a few small changes this could be a non event controversy.

Change GAA Go to allow 2 types of users. Subscribers and non-subscribers.

Change matches to be either free to all or just for Subscribers.

then the argument that there are competing Provincial football matches on tv so we have to show the hurling on pay per view can go away.

GAA GO can then also show the free to air matches (or others that are on RTE, but could be FTA too).

You could also link user accounts to (eg phone numbers) and allow them watch a set number of PPV games for free each season to encourage people to buy the full subscription

etc etc. plenty of options here. will to find a solution is missing.

On what basis do you want the GPA salaries reduced, and by how much?

I'm not sure how much they should be reduced by. The basis for my opinion is I don't believe a salary of over 100k a year is required to attract someone to a role in the GPA, a much smaller operation than the GAA at large.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Seems to me there are several different arguments going on at the one time:

• Some people don't want matches streamed online at all. "Unfair on older people and everybody else without good internet". They want everything on free-to-air TV instead.
    • Some don't mind matches being streamed, but don't want to have to pay to view them.
    • Some might not even mind paying for streaming, but have a complaint over what matches are shown where - e.g. they might say Cork v Tipp in hurling last weekend "should" have been on TV, while either or both of the lacklustre provincial football finals could have been online instead. But then what about older Sligo people (for example), who would have been excited about their county being in a Connacht Final, but who wouldn't have had a way to watch it?

How do you square all those circles?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭shmeee

I mentioned Aug & Sep in relation to a point of people ringing in radio stations etc saying why aren't county games played then. These people are unaware of the club game in my opinion and wouldn't grace their doors.

Knowing your first round in you club championship will be the first weekend of August is exactly what club players wanted. Yes of course a team could be knocked out of a qualifier in June or July, and then bang a week later club was kicking off. How can you train towards a date if you don't know what that day was previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

There's a 4th cohort who feel the platform is too expensive for the number of matches you get. Especially by comparison to their rival sports...

A game pass is €12 for example. LOItv is €7 a game, €5 for Tier 2 and free for the ladies. €10 for a Sky Sports Day Pass, how many games across multiple sports does sky show in a day? €20 for a weekend pass for 9 URC games (2-3 of which will be FTA also)

By continuing to show the few games that can be accommodated every weekend on the terrestrial channels. Anyone with only that platform is better served than ever before. They managed to live for many years with even fewer games. And they have to live and let live with the majority in the country who do not watch GAA or other sports on terrestrial.

New technology has opened up the possibility of many more games being shown on the internet. People have to pay to get the internet, and it is their choice after that what further money they are willing to spend on sports or films or whatever. And if Sky or another satellite provider wants to come on board with the GAA, that will be another PPV option.

The choices of which particular games go where, will never satisfy everyone.

Fair enough if it sounds like a big job to you. I disagree though, and I don't believe they're recruiting from a pool of professionals that would need salaries of that size to attract the talent.

On topic: The GAA has half a million members and annual revenue of near 100million. The leaders of such an organisation would indeed need to be offered very attractive wage packets, and I don't think it's unreasonable for that to happen while players remain amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Personally I think it is great. The prices are very reasonable at different levels. I paid 12 euro for the Dublin v Wexford hurling match cheaper and handier than going - to what would have been a souless very empty CP.

Such a system should actually suit the elderly/infirm that get to see matches that would otherwise not have been shown, and they would not have been able to travel to. Others can help them out with the technology. 79 euro for the whole year if people were really into it/needed it. That is for 38 games seems like great value to me. Now a lot of those games would not have been shown in full only for GAAGO.

A 3 for 2 bundle is 24 euro. And if someone wants to go down the club to watch it - Clubs can subscribe for 150euro. All reasonably priced IMO.

I have an app on my Samsung telly that you can cast from the laptop to the telly. It is grand. I have been saying for years that the GAA should stream way more games because otherwise the less glamorous counties only get a few minutes on TSG etc, if that.

As for people moaning about high profile games been taken by GAA GO it is swings and roundabouts In order to cover so many games they surely have to cover costs. What better way to that than with high profile matches?

Plus with the GAA you know that the money/any profit goes back into the organisation and that is good thing as well. I think the moaning is coming from people who just do not like change or want everything for nothing. This is the future as far as I am concerned.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I don't think you are such an expert as you are making out. A few posts ago you seemed to think the GAA was being run by lads on 50 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Stream them all behind a paywall, bar the semis and finals. Simple and clear.

• Advertisement

What? I said the exact opposite. I was 'defending' the high salaries of the GAA executives.

Advertisement