Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting around Galway

Options

Comments

hand over road space

Road can be reallocated to more efficient modes quite easily. Just means reprioritising away from the car. This is always underway and national policy has already shifted with all national transport and planning policies now placing the private car at the lowest priority by design.

At a local level the shift has been much slower but is more evident lately with the likes of the Ballybane/Castlepark road.

You'll see a much more pronounced shift once the GMATS (GTS revision) is released towards the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭crusd

You may have missed the major upgrade to the M50 in the 2000’s and the opening of the port tunnel in 2006. Those opened the opportunity through moving necessary traffic elsewhere allowing phased implementation of policies to reduce unnecessary traffic. Galway has the opportunity to massively reduce the amount of city centre traffic dedicated to the car. Part of the solution is moving necessary traffic that does not need to use the city centre elsewhere where and opening up opportunities for discretionary traffic to use other modes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Something that I feel is massively overlooked when trying to draw comparisons is that Freiburg isn't a port city or natural logistics hub.

The M50 upgrade, completed in 2010, cost 1 billion and transformed it from a 2 lane traffic jam to a 3 lane traffic jam 🤷‍♂️

It's a perfect example of induced demand.

They spent a billion adding capacity for cars which made it more attractive for cars and resulted in too many choosing to drive, hey presto capacity swallowed up

You forgot the introduction free flow interchanges which increased flow at intersections removing traffic from other roads faster further enabling effective bus lanes etc

• Advertisement

It still appears lost to you all that even in the best performing cities a large proportion of journeys still need to use private vehicles. This combined with large projected population growth for the region means that any reduction in traffic entering Galway through provision of alternatives alone will do one or both of two things, push the can down the road 20 years and/or push people to go elsewhere with their custom where they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

No, I didn't miss it at all, because it's not relevant to the point I'm making. I'll repeat it for a third time, just in case it might help; if you reallocate road space from private cars to more efficient modes of transport then those roads can move more people. This holds true whether or not new roads, tunnels, lanes, flyovers, etc. are added elsewhere.

If, instead of having bus lanes end at the Browne Roundabout, we kept them going across the Quicentenary Bridge and up Bothar na d'Treabh to Parkmore, and we used those bus lanes to facilitate buses that people found attractive to use, then we could move many more people across the Corrib each day than we do today in private cars. Yes, if we added another bridge upstream we could move even more people, if we added two more bridges and put ring roads around ring roads we could move more again. But the presence or absence of ring roads does not change the fact that we could greatly increase the capacity of our current roads just by altering the allocation.

But, if you want to continue to argue against points that other people aren't even making, under the misguided impression that it bolsters your own arguments, knock yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Well I certainly don't want more people moving over the Corrib, peak time or not.

We need real school zoning, jobs West of the Corrib for people who live there and public transport from the North, east and south to get workers to Parkmore / Briarhill/ Ballybrit.

Nope, didn't forget them, those are also clogged up with cars too. As for bus lanes, the M50 had no bearing on their rollout

It still appears lost to you

Give it a rest with that childish silliness as it does nothing to improve your position.

even in the best performing cities a large proportion of journeys still need to use private vehicles

A portion, sure, a large portion, no. There will always be some that have no other option, but for the vast majority there are better options if the objective is to move the most amount of people as quickly and efficiently as possible.

If the objective is to have everyone drive everywhere, well the roads and streets of the city are maxed out already. Galway's population is due to hit 140k (another 55k) within the next 17 years. Having "a large proportion" of those driving will achieve nothing more than more gridlock.

• Advertisement

It’s zealotry at this stage. Even if we reduce the proportion of car journeys to 30%, which would be a massive achievement in a region with a large proportion of rural people who access the city daily, if the population rises to 140k(on a regional basis it would put the effective Galway population at over 250k+) the current street configuration from the Salmon weir to quincentennial bridges will not be able the manage all the modes of traffic that need to use them daily and at it’s absolute best things would be no better than they are today.

Looking at PT only, without also looking at infrastructure, only addresses todays problems. It does nothing for the future. If you still want Galway streets choked with traffic in 30 years times, albeit with most people not using cars anymore, by all means ignore provision of additional road space as part of a holistic solution. Also, just providing additional road capacity would leave the situation even worse. The only cars I want to see in the city centre are those that absolutely need to be there. So provide alternative transport for people who currently choose travel to and through the city centre by car and provide and alternative route for those who need to use the city centre to cross the Corrib.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Reducing it to 30% would leave the roads near empty.

Funny how the person attacking everyone that disagrees with them with condescension and accusations of "zealotry" seems to have launched a one man crusade to push their anecdotal ideals down our throats by "shouting" the loudest. Me think the lady doth protest too much with her IMAX level of projection

I prefer to come at the problem from a different route.

Instead of paying approx 1 billion for a road that will not fix the problem (according to the planning documents) and then looking to provide alternate modes the smarter approach would be to provide the alternate modes first, then see if you still really need the road.

In all likelihood, the business case for it would rank pretty poorly.

To give one small example of what I mean, take school journeys. During the school holidays there is a very marked improvement in journey times for commuters as there are no school runs happening.

Now, if the city added protected bike lanes and junctions throughout the road network, you would likely get 50% or more cycling to school.

Next, we know from census data that 26% of commuters walk. Increased permeability, priority at crossings (push the button, get an immediate green to cross), full provision of pedestrian network (there's a crap ton of missing paths around the city) etc would see that climb even higher.

Lastly, everyone knows bus lanes work very well in terms of enabling an increase in frequency and reliability as evidenced by the likes of route 409. Implementing a full network of bus lanes as well as bus priority at junctions, would see numbers shoot up for PT too as it would be a lot more attractive.

Do that, then come back and see if you still need to spend 1 bil to build a road.

Headford getting some overdue attention though I'm not sure how viable a park & ride would be there given there is no room for bus priority measures (lanes etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Perhaps, it's the processes that Freiburg have undertaken rather than copying and pasting exactly what they have done is what we need to be doing alright.

Has to be noted Galway City has a small Port and nearly half the income derived in Galway Port is from surface car parking around the port. It is a Tier 3 port right now + Rossaveal is getting all the Development for the Offshore Windfarm boom (Galway Port did well from the Onshore one in Galway).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

MOD NOTE - personal abuse is reappearing and it will be dealt with.. Please reread your post before hitting the post button, make sure tackle the post and not the poster..

You talk of a holistic approach here in order to future proof the city and receive an absolute pile on because the opinion challenges the thread orthodoxy that the only solution is one that excludes provision of roads space as part of that solution. Then that challenging of an opinion is then presented as "attacking everyone". Challenging an opinion is not attacking an individual. I am sorry if you you feel it is, but once you present your opinion in a public forum you have also got to accept that that opinion can be open to challenge without throwing about accusations of personal abuse.

The choice of the word "zealotry" in place of "zealot" was deliberate to address the opinion and not the individual.i.e. the opinion was being presented in manner that did not accept deviations from the accepted thread orthodoxy. Maybe "shibboleths" would have been a better choice of word.

My opinion is that even with the provision a world class public transport, pedestrian and cycling infrastructure, the current infrastructure options for cross city transit will not be sufficient for the future requirements of the city with projected city and regional growth. In an ideal world where the population remains static or where 90% of the regional population who utilise the city were to relocate to the city or a handful of adjacent urban centre, it would, but future planning needs both vision and realism. The vision to see that solutions for today's problems wont solve tomorrow's and the realism to know that a proportion of people will always require individual travel and a proportion of people will always make individual choices that don't align with the ideal state.

"

My opinion is that even with the provision a world class public transport, pedestrian and cycling infrastructure, the current infrastructure options for cross city transit will not be sufficient for the future requirements of the city with projected city and regional growth.

"

There is ZERO evidence this is going to occur? Where are the future plans for this?

If you can show us this - then I will be signing up to the GCRR right now and will start making the placard. "BUILD THE GCRR RIGHT NOW"

There is loads of talk of freeing up space - but ZERO details on what space this is? It didnt happen in Waterford, its didnt happen in Limerick?

For example once the GCRR is build - will the current N6 from UHG to the G HOTEL be made into a Bus Lane the night before the road is opened for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Except that is not what happened. Far from piling on, I positively endorsed your holistic approach and noted that, if a credible proposal was put forward, it would likely get widespread acceptance. Your response was to jump down my throat, lambasting me for things I hadn't even said.

I much prefer cordial exchanges, rather than sniping, but that's a two way street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

For a small city it's a nightmare to get around! What's with all the roundabouts?

You are continuing to ignore my point. Both have to be planned, the integrated public transport plan and the outer ring road. If only the public transport, cycling and pedestrian infrastructure is planned it will very quickly become insufficient to deal with future growth and if only the ring road is built the gridlock will just move to different places and get worse in time. The opinion widely expressed here is that because a detailed plan on public transport has not been identified we should automatically rule out any road plan also. The "taking my football home" approach to planning.

I understand why you do not trust the powers that be to align the transport strategy to the road network expansion strategy. I dont either. But that does not mean aligning both is not the right strategy and it does not mean an attitude of "my priorities are not being addressed by the current plan therefore nothing should be done at all" is a mature approach.

My priority is that as many vehicles as possible are removed from the city streets by all means neccessary.

My priority is that as many vehicles as possible are removed from the city streets by all means neccessary.

A ring road will not achieve that, quite the opposite in fact as has been shown everytime a road network is expanded

You are ignoring the point that only ONE is been planned i.e the GCRR - the other is not. Until that is done for both then I cannot support GCRR..... what about Waterford and Limerick, both have ring roads for more than decade now - where has the transformation of freed up space occurred in those City's. It did not happen.

"My priority is that as many vehicles as possible are removed from the city streets by all means neccessary."

Unfortunalty your priority and the designers ARUP dont match. ARUPS numbers in the design documents for the GCRR do not support this. They see increase in car traffic in many of the suburban streets if the GCRR goes ahead + the Modal Share stats they predict is really a no-change scenario.

You don't even need to look as far as Waterford or Limerick, what about Oranmore, Loughrea, Gort or even more recently, Tuam. All got bypasses and nothing was done to improve the situation

True, Oranmore is a stand out example of that alright. It has been bypassed for decades now.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Don Juan II

In fact, the opposite has happened in Oranmore.

Galway County Council has decided to take away space from pedestrians and give that space to the parking of private cars ... all of this since the opening of the bypass of Oranmore!

As you can see in the attached image from Google Maps, Oranmore used to have a nice wide footpath in this location. Now we have space for 4 or 5 cars!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Oranmore was also offered an upgraded bus service, and the locals didn't want it.

Advertisement