Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Even allowing for them all to get ridiculous pay cheques, it still would have left $50 million to make the film.

For comparison, EEAAO had a $25 million budget. Banshees was apparently $20 million. How much can it cost to shoot a rom com? The Lost City cost $68 million, which presumably included Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum's pay. Ticket to Paradise, with George Clooney and Julia Roberts, cost $60 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On the financial side, streaming services must have to strike very different deals compared to more traditional formats... where a lower budget non-streaming funded movie can offset lower wages to a star/director with an additional % of gross revenue on the back end, a streaming service basically has to pay everything up front since theres no real route to residual income.

In this case, that still sounds like a ridiculous figure, but in general I'd imagine that's part of why we see these big up-front budgets for some of Netflix star-laden projects.

Yeah there's definitely that element, and I'm pretty sure that's why Johansson sued Disney when they put Black Widow straight to streaming during Covid.

Still, wages aside you'd wonder how much it costs to make a rom com? You'd think they'd be at the cheaper end of the scale.

The ones I mentioned above both filmed in exotic locations, and The Lost City had a lot of stunts, CGI, etc. Can't imagine a Nancy Myers joint having anything like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Plus, it wouldn't be like the film was being made by any old chump; Nancy Meyers would surely be a big enough draw to work with at a lower scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,269 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

In fairness, though, her directorial output isn't that enthusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I just saw there's a film about the making of Tetris coming out, one about the making of the Blackberry phone, and a trailer just popped up for a Matt Damon film about Nike Air. Wtf is going on? Are companies paying studios to make these films or something? Who cares about how Nike Air came about?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm sure everyone was thinking, we really need a live action remake of a 7 year old animated movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Those soulless live action husks keep making Disney serious money; they'll keep remaking them while audiences are suckers enough to watch them, buy the merchandise crap.

I'd say we'll be a long time waiting for any Treasure Planet remake though!

This is a bit of geeky fun: I'd like to think most who post here have heard of the Wilhelm Scream; well turns out, the original recording has surfaced thanks to some preservation work. Turns out, it was the 4th Take that nailed the scream:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,884 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

At least the volunteer didn't suffer in vain and it only had to be done once...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

I have to admit, I'm absolutely sick of the Wilhelm Scream. Every time I hear it in a movie I just roll my eyes. Ben Burtt has a lot to answer for. 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

I imagine this asshat is going to be in it and they need to make it sooner rather than later as they really haven't got long left before even the copious amount of steroids begin to fail him.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,387 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I was sure there was a Wonka movie thread anyways Hugh Grant is playing an Oompa Lompa

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Registered Users Posts: 86,387 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭RickBlaine

Just looking at the IFTA awards, I see that The Woman King has won VFX. I don't understand why Avatar 2 wasn't even nominated especially as a guy from Dublin is the visual effects supervisor so there is a strong Irish connection. He even gave a speech on stage at the Oscars.

Derry Girls winning Best Drama Script is a bit of an odd one. It definitely deserves awards, but either do a comedy category, or just have best script.

I honestly never pay any attention to the IFTAs, but is there a reason An Caitlin Ciuin didn't figure in the nominations? Presumably the awards vote on films from 2022, and missing a pretty noteworthy, Oscar nominated film, seems ... curious. Unless I'm being completely blind here.

Awards ceremonies are absolute bunkum. But the IFTA's hold a special place in that arena.

Seriously, 'Derry Girls' won for best drama script?

fkn 'ell.

I've only seen limited amounts of the show, but I must have missed the...ahem..."drama".

An Cailín Ciúin was eligible last year and won pretty much every award they could. I'm not 100% sure why that was the case, but I assume it was the Berlinale screenings that made it eligible even though the cinema release wasn't until the summer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

An Cailín Ciúin opened the Dublin film fest right after its Berlin premiere too so it definitely screened over here well before its general release.

It was specifically the last episode that was nominated, which did have some very poignant and moving moments, but yeah, generally speaking it's not a drama.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Huh, seems like Beetlejuice 2, directed by Tim Burton, is actually starting production today (if Variety is to be believed, although other trades also reporting a September 2024 release date):

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/beetlejuice-2-release-date-theaters-1235607767/

I haven't watched Wednesday, but interesting that Jenny Ortega seems to have channeled the spirit of 80/90s Winona Ryder / Christina Ricci and seems fairly instrumental in a 'goth chic' revival after all these years. And just as Ricci actually had a role in Wednesday, Ryder will be back for Beetlejuice 2 (as will Michael Keaton, of course).

Can't say I'm particularly optimistic given Burton's output for the last decade or two, mind you.

Rather telling that Tim Burton retreats to a fondly remembered film from back when anyone cared for his work. A few years degradation as a bland gun for hire might do that to someone who used to be a singular talent. Hmmm what's his last good film?

If they're starting a shoot then I wonder if the script's locked in, perhaps Burton himself will riff where and when he can?

Big Fish IMO has become something of peak Tim Burton's last hurrah - not an all-timer, but a pleasant, idiosyncratic film that felt like a director making the film they wanted to, even if it has a fairly middling reception. I know some subsequent films have their fans (Sweeney Todd is 'fine', I suppose), and the two animated features are okay (if not exactly Henry Selick level), but it's been autopilot or thankless corporate gigs for basically two decades now. Hell, if you discount Big Fish, you'd have to look back to the 90s for the real good stuff - Mars Attacks! and Sleepy Hollow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think that has been blown out of proportion slightly. It's generally accepted that dialogue and scripts are "punched up" to use her words on set and one of the placards in question said "without writers Jenna Ortega would have nothing to punch up". The writer who had said it was not intended maliciously.

She wasn't overly complementary about the writing, to be fair. But listening to her talk I get the impression she wasn't really on the same page at all with what kind of show they were making. I know the writers are just having a laugh but the fact she's now apparently starting work on a film with no writers on set..... fuel to the fire.

Babylon 5 is returning... as an animated feature-length film; seemingly jumping on the bandwagon of multiverses, the plot will revolve around alternative timelines, with surviving members of the cast returning to voice their respective characters.

I do recall the CW were meant to be producing a reboot of the entire concept, so without Googling not sure if that's still a live project, how much involvement Straczynski had/has with it etc. Especially given in the interim since I first heard of it, the CW was sold off.

Low-key one of the great Sci-Fi shows, perhaps a little more lost to time than it deserves; a bit of a pioneer for FX too, extensively using CGI to often give its stories more scope and scale than many shows of the era (and arguably, since). Unfortunately, it was CGI that has since aged like milk - and is impossible to remaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Was just coming to post about this:

While I'm a Trekkie at heart, I absolutely loved this show. I can't wait to see what the Great Maker gives us.

• Advertisement

Dunno how I missed the news, but Rick Dalton passed the other day...

... (Tarantimo revealed this odd little bit of random trivia in the below podcast).

There have been sequels to this already; two DTV follow ups; I can only speculate as to the "quality" they might have possessed. Speaks to Harlin's fall that this is where he finds himself. No loss to Hollywood but he had a profitable enough purple patch back in the day.

Advertisement