Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭TheBetsy

Was it a busy flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

Not up front in Business Class, where I was sitting, but Economy seemed pretty full. Almost all German from what I heard. I'm coming back on the Friday flight, I'll try to have a closer look then.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Having the late night Amsterdam flight with KLM really helps too. Makes for nice easy (and sensible) connections on the Amsterdam side.

Especially when both your flights happen to use the same plane, as happened to me yesterday. 0 minute connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Cork Airport have revised the projected figures for 2023 up to 2.6 million. That is about 50k more than 2019 and would be the busiest year since 2009 for the airport. Given the pullback from Airlingus during and after covid it's a great achievement. The summer 24 schedule will be huge, if the airlines buy in you'd think 3 million pax would be not far out of reach. The Ryanair winter 24' schedule has been a bit underwhelming so far, hopefully we can see some new routes to reward the buy in over this winter period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Very cool. When you see the amount of planes they have parked up in that big open space, with all the buses going back and forth, you got pretty lucky there.

• Advertisement

@TheBetsy As a follow-up, the return flight today, LH984, was pretty full. The Economy class cabin had one empty row as did Business, gut beyond that, almost every row was full. I'd say the jet was more than 80% full, possibly closer to 90%. Pretty good mix of German, Irish and other nationalities and well.

Oh, and I like the CRJ-900 even less now. Those fold-out stairs are an accident waiting to happen when they're wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

In regards to Winter 24', Ryanair haven't made any announcements yet and are only loading existing routes into the system. If there is announcements to be made, they wouldn't be made yet. Still plenty of time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm looking to book flights in October and Aer Lingus are saying they haven't released the timetable yet. Why would they not have a winter schedule yet?!

They have mostly, would probably mean that route doesn't run in the winter.

Hmm, thanks for that. I've checked the Cork Airport site and they don't list it either so I guess it's not running any more (or I imagined it ever running).

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭coleen

Cork to Tenerife runs every winter with Ryanair at least not sure about Aer Lingus

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭TheBetsy

If I remember correctly it last ran in W21/22 it was dropped as a winter route for the winter season just gone along with Malaga which is now just summer seasonal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Am I right in thinking that Cork used to fly direct to Aarhus Denmark last year ?

Seem to recall flying to Venice in September and seeing an Aarhus flight on the departures board - if so, anyone know if its a seasonal route likely to be back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Aarhus was probably a one off special event flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fjr13

I see Aer Lingus have Malaga back ×3 per week from December. Hopefully they'll add Cdg all year round post the Rugby World Cup trial!

I'm confused, was this service to Seville not already announced with the other services? Why is it getting sole mention now? New service to La Rochelle kicks off this bank holiday too, no mention of that.

Very odd reporting, I've seen it since replicated among several other low quality media outlets.

It appears EMA is going to 3pw and I cant see any prior mention of that, but who knows maybe this isn't recent.

Saw that too. A bit odd, but the likes of The Echo just publish what their handed by businesses.

Seville, like La Rochelle is close to another destination already served by Ryanair. There's a big continent out there lads.

Maybe Seville isnt selling as well as they hopped. Would be serious heat there during the timeframe of the service. Would be an ideal march oct destination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Agree, we were in Seville a couple of years ago in November and it was fantastic but it would definitely be too warm in the summer months. It would great if it was extended into the winter months as I imagine it would definitely sell well.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fjr13

Seville is already loaded into Ryanair's winter schedule

That's good. Would probably be nice in the autumn or spring, but I wouldn't fancy it at the height of summer with the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

interesting article with the head of the DAA on Cork airport. Key points:

Pax estimates for this year have been revised up again to 2.7 million, meaning 2023 will easily surpass 2019.

He sees 3.5-4 million pax in the close future and 5 million pax by the end of the decade.

He is bearish on transatlantic and says airlines won’t look at Cork until next year at the earliest.

He is bullish on European capitals and specifically calls out Lisbon, Madrid and Berlin as key targets for year round routes.

He also foresees a return of the Cork Dublin route at a much lower frequency than before (amazingly this had 500k pax at one stage) and essentially says it would be used to feed transatlantic traffic.

The old terminal will (eventually, his words) be knocked and the space will be used to facilitate planes and pedestrian access. It seems the plans for another business park are gone

Would agree with lisbon and madrid for year round routes particular giving the makeup of the Irish population now and the increase from south america working here.

They will need to invest in the airport itself too if irs going to reach those numbers. Currently on arrival if more than 1 flight lands round the same time its tight enough at passport control if a queue starts to form

Yeah, that passport control checkpoint is way too small. What were they thinking when they designed that? I mean, it's better than whatever Hogwartian/TARDISesque maze Frankfurt airport have managed to pull off in Terminal 1 there, but come on, that's claustrophobia waiting to happen once it gets crowded!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Not sure I see the point of a Cork Dublin flight. You don't get a flight connection for transatlantic if flying Ryanair and with Aer Lingus, cost will likely be too high for it to be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It would work for transatlantic if you can buy it through Aer Lingus. Security at Cork, fly up to Dublin, two hour layover in Dublin airport doing preclearance, then off to go to America.

Or feed into Aer Lingus's much larger route network through Dublin.

They were thinking of doing it again just before Covid, but I still reckon it would work for feeding transfer passengers.

I think he's right about transatlantic. It would be nice, but Cork doesn't NEED it. We don't need Cork, Shannon AND Dublin offering New York services.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

When you can get aircoach for 28 return to Dublin, the flight would want to not be too expensive though. With Aer Lingus, the flight is likely an extra 100-150 and then there's the environmental issue so politically it might be challenged too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This would presumably be with EI Regional on an ATR. A very fuel efficient aircraft on routes like this.

As rightly pointed out, the only issue here would be the eco Taliban. But it can be rightly pointed out to them that you can redirect Cork-Paris/London/Amsterdam-North America traffic via Dublin and save quite a few passenger air miles, added to the fact they would now be going 20 minutes in an ATR (half the fuel burn per passenger mile isn’t it?) instead of 1hr in a jet plane.

Advertisement