Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭jj880

Like something from the first half of Office Space. A strange ad. No wonder comments are turned off on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Smyths charged me this morning too. Hopefully will arrive tomorrow !

Yeah I mean it's kinda a bad message. "Your life, job, wife and house are boring and unfulfilling, pick up Zelda to find some meaning in life!"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Never been so happy to see money coming out of my account. Gamestop charged me on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

My order is still in progress.

Should not have checked the 60 FPS option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Looking it up and reviews are due at 1pm, our time, tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Same here. Contacted them and they said that was just a pre-authorisation and the actual charge will be €59.99. Also just received a 'Ready for Dispatch' email from Smyths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Yeah, I can see the lesser amount on the delivery email, and the order history in website has updated from this morning to match.

So looks like the €10 will be refunded back once it's processed.

I'm really really really hoping it arrives tomorrow now!

I put about 10 hours into it last weekend just messing about, looking forward to actually diving into it properly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just got the 'Ready for Dispatch' email too, Order Completed. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ran through BOTW over the last few night just to get the limbs loose for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Smyths have charged.. should expect dispatch today?..

Smyths charged me this morning around 6am. Got the dispatch email about half 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

We gone dispatch

but an post so no tracking…

now we wait

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

Where are the reviews? Embargo lifted at 1pm. Tell me how good it is please!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Embargo is tomorrow.

Just got the dispatch email from Smyths as well. Haste be with the An Post gods!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭tbahh

Go away, Smyths, with your spoilers. Looks like the Hero of Time is now called Tracking Link.

Of course. Had it in my head it was the day before I get it (which I've been assuming is tomorrow with Smyths). Forgot the game actually releases on Friday!

Really curious how it turned out. BOTW was such a masterpiece that it's hard to follow it up without just being 'BOTW, but slightly better in every way'. Expectations are through the roof. It seems that anything less than a 10/10 would be considered a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 srcmtrl

Whilst botw is definitely one of the best games I've played, I wouldn't personally call it a masterpiece, mainly due to the fact that the world tends to feel empty at times in the sense that there's not much reward in exploration. Which I completely understand for some people is reward itself, but the lack of variety and reward once climbing a mountain or getting to a hard to reach place made it sort of boring and repetitive when you weren't engaging with a quest or story.

From what I gather totk improves on this by giving us things to actually do and have fun with in the sandbox which I think can help elevate it's status against botw.

I think we had two very different experiences with BOTW. I typically hate open world games because the rewards are usually never worth the exploration time. BOTW was completely different. Yes, you could go sheikah tower to sheikah tower but exploring meant you found shrines, stables, enemy camps. Each of them had their own rewards ranging from hearts to weapons. No matter where you went, there was something to find. Exploration was made fast with the glider allowing you to see massive stretches of terrain and head towards whatever took your fancy. When this got boring and you wanted to progress the story, you'd just move to the next sheikah tower and inevitably encounter the right NPC or area.

It was also the first truly open world game I've ever seen once you get out of the tutorial area. You can head straight for Ganon if you want but good luck.

BOTW was most definitely a masterpiece. Elden Ring was similar in nature but I cannot think of any other open world game that nails it like BOTW did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Next chapter of the chat with the developers is on the Nintendo of Europe site/twitter feed now. Didn't post because some folks might still be trying to avoid all news, but looks like they had a bit of craic designing it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

My order has dispatched from Smyths.

Happy days

😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The thing that separates BotW from virtually every other open world game IMO is how it rewarded curiosity. It actually felt like I was stumbling across strange, mysterious secrets purely by chance. Where a lot of other games have faded from memory, I still remember things like encountering a massive locked door in a snowy wasteland in the middle of a Hyrule mountain, spotting a vast labyrinth for the first time, double-taking after seeing what looked like a dragon flying by a ravine, seeing a mysterious light on a hill during the night and venturing up to it...

I love Elden Ring and it has some of those 'oh wow' moments for sure, but not quite with the same density as BotW IMO. The only other game that really captured that sense of wonderful exploration is Outer Wilds, which - despite its galaxy-spanning, open scale - is nonetheless a smaller and more tightly designed game.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

My local GS store rang me earlier today, my copy will be ready for collection on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Snipped from a developer interview on Nintendo's website (answers the question about dungeons in TOTK).

Apologies if already posted, this is a busy thread. 🙂

Dohta:

We’ve made dungeons unique to their respective environments, so we think you’ll be able to enjoy the wide variety of regional characteristics.

Takizawa:

Making a "wide variety" was pretty challenging. The four Divine Beasts were the dungeons in the last game, and they shared similar designs. This time, the dungeons are huge and each carry their own regional look and feel, just like traditional The Legend of Zelda games. We think they will provide a satisfying challenge for players. They were certainly a challenge to develop! (Laughs)

Fujibayashi:

Yes, we haven't talked about the dungeons yet. They've changed from the previous game. For example, there is a dungeon that connects directly from Hyrule's surface. If you dive from the sky straight into the dungeon, you'll trigger an event. We think this will be a new experience that wasn't possible in the previous game.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

For those that ordered it at 99.99 EUR from Smyths, is that what you were charged or the 119.99 price?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭jj880

Dispatched! Hopefully they all arrive tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 srcmtrl

Yeah im not taking away from the games achievements, im just pointing out and criticising some of its flaws which I experienced. Especially in regards to how totk seems to make up for them. Like I said, it just feels likes the reward is the exploration itself (in botw) rather than an event or reward (I know you said rewards range from hearts to weapons, but these are things that are experienced in the first couple hours of the game, making it feel a bit recycled and repetitive especially as most weapons are pretty much identical bar the aesthetics). In Elden ring though, it felt like the rewards made the effort worth it at times. Weapons with their own skillset or abilities with distinct features that refresh gameplay.

I think that totk will make up for these almost "tech demo" feel of the game by adding new mechanics, content and even the ability to build vehicles for me is huge for adding replay value. Im not taking away from what the game has provided, which is a huge achievement and like I said, one of the best games I've played.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭HotWaterCylinder

Ah come on, I loved BOTW (just played/finished it this year) but its nothing compared to skyrim/witcher3 or Fallout (3&NV) when it comes to having a "full world".

There's places in BOTW where there is nothing for miles. Nothing for the sake of nothing, not even a tree!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭tbahh

Advertisement