Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

Go Freak or Go Home!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Barbara Pravi came close in 2021. Helped that she was French and essentially doing Edith Piaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,753 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There's different ways to make an impression at Eurovision.

The manic \ novelty \ mad staging acts - typically Ukraine, Moldova, Iceland, Finland.

The catchy Europop - typically Sweden, Denmark, Israel.

The ballad \ torch song with powerful singer - typically France, Italy, Switzerland.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

if we do enter a ballad type folk song, we'll need to lose all references to The Famine, Cromwell, The Black n Tans, 1916, The Brits, Michael Collins, The IRA.

i dunno how you could create an Irish folk song without those references? Maybe we could do one on the Housing Crisis, or the state of our Health system?

Here goes,

"Oh me Granny spent 5 hours on a trolley

We'll never find a house in Ringsend Molly

Why oh Why did we elect that Wally?"

Clearly it needs a bit of work, but i got all year ....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Advertisement

It's not just a song contest, it is about the staging, performance etc but then again it always has been.

But let's be honest the best songs/performances rise to the top.

If you send a good song and good singer you will do well, just look at UK last year they would have won if not for the situation in Ukraine.

i would like to think so, but sadly the cream doesn't always rise to the top. all too often its washed away by foul smelling pish

Let's be honest Ireland blew any chance of qualifying by picking the wrong act, the public vote (predictable given wild youth fan base) and jury (it helps to be a name for them) went with them...the international jury didn't. They went with Connolly. A song written entirely and performed by a hugely talented 19 (I think) year old, it wasn't perfect but it had potential, heart and didn't come from some faceless Sweden pop factory writer. It would have had a chance of doing reasonably well imo.

I would rather we take a risk and fail than go with the generic forgettable dreck we sent this year.

Has it though? How would you describe the Duncan Lawrence song that won in 2019? It isn't exactly relying on an OTT performance.

• Advertisement

at least tonite i can watch the CL in some peace.

Not always of course, but the best songs/performances tend to make the final and finish on the left hand side of the board. Give me some examples?

The only recent time when Ireland did poorly undeservedly for me was "playing with numbers" in 2015. I actually think that was ahead of its time bizarrely for us in Eurovision, it would qualify and do pretty well now imo. The juries had it 7th in that semi but it just didn't get the public votes, which happens sometimes.

sorry to say this but the lad that sang for us last nite should have wore something else. he did not look good in that sparkly one-piece. failed to carry it off. looked like a fat farmer going thru a mid life crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Sorolla

True

he reminded me of an overweight aunt in a tight dress.

he did not have the charisma to carry the song.

his band colleague, Dave whelan is a much better singer and performer and looks amazing.

with Dave we would have got out of the semi

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭squonk

Great song indeed but it’s maybe a big low key fir the Eurovision but you’d also need good staging fir it. I think there’s heaps you could do though but I’m sure RTE wouldn’t be arsed

• Registered Users Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well the UK also spent a ton of money advertising the guy and pushing him as a favourite long before the show.

I think it was an average song boosted by a singer with a strong social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

I agree with this.

I think when world travel became so accessible in the last 40 years most European adults have been to, or had the opportunity to go to, far more beautiful friendly exciting places then Ireland, cheaper more interesting, more things to do, see, less dirty, better weather etc.

Europeans don’t view Ireland with the affection, nostalgia and admiration that they used to. A lot of people don’t realise this.

Plus we could sing in English... there's a reason why the vast majority of acts choose to sing in English now, so ourselves and the UK had that as an advantage under the old rules. That edge is gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I think someone said it on here earlier, but I think the ideal Irish Eurovision song would be something along the lines of the Ed Sheerin monstrosity ‘Galway Girl’. Like it or not, it’s wacky, catchy, very Irish in a modern way and once it enters your brain there is no chance of it leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Oh, I didn’t at all like the uk song from last year, and could not understand why the fella did so well. It was something space themed but not up to the standard of Spaceman by either the killers or Babylon AD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,994 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Michael Kealy is on Ray Darcy at the moment and sounds very much like a man whose arse is on the line. So defensive about everything.

No idea when it comes to the advertising spend etc.

I know he was well known (via social media anyway) beforehand but so are a lot of acts that other countries pick.

I thought it was an excellent song personally, well staged and with a really strong singer any other year it would have likely won.

RTE do not give a toss that is pretty clear at this stage, maybe let Virgin media...or even TG4 have a good even at this stage (they did a terrific job with junior Eurovision last year she finished 4th despite being ill).

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

we lost better 'teams' qualified for the grand final. No blame on anyone but the A players brought a better game. Our team sucked but so did the rest of them. You'll never see another ABBA or river dance, those days are long gone it's all about style over content now.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

A lot of folk songs don't reference those.. Literally hundreds of love songs like Raglan Road, Katie, Loveing Hannah, Maid of the Sweet Brown Knowe, The Ploughboy Lads etc etc. Half our folk songs are non political. Not to be confused with rebel songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

Most of the songs if not all that qualified for the final last night were all over TikTok, Youtube or have amassed tons of hours of stream time on Spotify/Apple Music etc. The Eurovision is run by the social media generation. They are the ones who are voting. If they haven't seen it, heard it on social media several times or know who the singer/singers are prior to the contest they won't vote for it. The only thing I heard about our entry on social media was it won't qualify and the fact it was booed at Eurovision pre parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭greenpilot

I'm really astounded at the comments on thus particular thread. Are folks thus tone deaf? Has anyone taken a look at the comments on the Wild Youth Twitter account? The backlash against the band has been pretty relentless.

I think the elephant in the room here is the backlash against the band for the manner in which they put virtue signalling before their careers in the most logic-defying manner.

Whatever your beliefs, the way they sacked their Choreographer, without either reading the room, or understanding the back story, was career-ending. Everyone and their mother leapt and are still leaping to the defence of Bantham.

That's why they didn't qualify.

Don't take my word for it. Just take look.

RTE seem to be completely tone deaf!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

You think Germans/Poles/French etc didn't vote for them because they sacked their Choreographer??

Id say it was because the song/performance was magoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Actually, judging by the many international comments on their Twitter account, it seems so. True, the song was deplorable. But they also showed support for a person that stabbed and raped a women. Something that everyone seems to have noticed apart from RTE and the Irish contingent.

I just happened to look at their twitter page yesterday as a friend in the UK mentioned the backlash to me. I dismissed him until I looked myself. Sweet Jesus. Talk about burning your career!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

You've lost me now. I thought it was because they sacked someone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭riddles

In 2008 we sent a Turkey and no one got the joke. Russia won that year pipping the Ukraine. Maybe Philomena Begley and Margo are the answer.

Advertisement