Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Surprised people are having issues with the 3rd act, to me the 2nd one was more of an issue - the whole heist bit is done to death at this stage in the MCU, it didn't really add much to the story that couldnt have been done elsewhere, and really seemed more just an opportunity for nice visuals and general weirdness. That left elements of the 3rd act being a bit rushed.

Having said that, Volume 3 probably cements GotG as the best comic book trilogy for me, definitely the most consistent of any. It might not have reached quite the high points of some others but it is amazing what they did with completely unknown characters to have so many compelling and fulfilling story arcs, building its own world(s) within the MCU while mixing near perfectly humour, heart, action, and visuals.

I remember some posters a few months back claiming the delay of Volume 3 impacted Phase 4 because it was supposed to be central to it.

The movie was either significantly rewritten or that wasn't the case.

It was in line with most non-crossover MCU movies, where it introduced new characters who we'll likely see later and left other characters in spots where they can be used in future movies/shows but that was about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well remembered. He's such a minor character I'd never had paid notice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd be surprised if we ever see any of the Guardians again, bar as, at best, some one shot cameos at some suitably epic scale "event". The Guardians always existed slightly on the fringe of the rest of the MCU, and it wouldn't take much to simply write them out of the universe.

Obviously we still have a team, technically, but that scene felt like a coda than an intro to the Brand New Guardians.

Might be misremembering history here but that we even got this Guardians 3 was because its cast went to bat for James Gunn when he got fired after that hatchet job over Gunn's off colour tweets; they had his back, and that speaks to a loyalty that might suggest the actors won't come back for anyone but Gunn. That if he's gone, so are Batista, Gillan, Saldana, Cooper and Klementieff. IIRC Pratt was the slowest to speak out for Gunn (again might be way off base here but too lazy to Google lol).

Money talks of course but I've got the impression the MCU shoots are especially fun - more so as they've become more green screen dominated. Many actors hate that shít.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

I loved the Fact that hes Grandfather was called Jason... i thought that was very clever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,950 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Really liked this. Much better than the recent offerings from marvel. Hope it gets good word of mouth, which marvel needs these days, and gets good numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

In the Comics J'son of Spartax was his father.

Ms

Oh right.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Early indicators are it’s going to have a bigger than 60% drop off in week 2 numbers. 60 or less is the target anything over 60% is worrying.

• Advertisement

Not sure Gunn or Feige will care either way how this movie performs. It's out, it's done. They won't be coming back.

The chances of a poor performance causing the cancellation of, I don't know, the Blade movie, are slim to none. The Box office takings are meaningless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I can see both angles. While yes, the new material's success or failure will matter more in the grand scheme of things, the failure of a popular and well-reviewed film from the MCU of yore isn't exactly proof of rude health either. It could be read both ways IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Best comic book trilogy?! No chance - Nolan’s Batman films unlikely to ever be beaten

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

what is the list ? (possibly for another thread)

as a trilogy....

Dark Knight

Blade

Patrick Stewart of Xmen

Xmen first class

Guardians

original superman?

Toby Maguire's Spiderman

Thor has had 4 (although I am prepared to ignore Love and Thunder)

Captain america had 3 + avengers to be honest.

It's only the middle film that's outstanding. The other two are only OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,443 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

More emotional than I imagined

Yet another new race into this bloated universe. How come Kang was never mentioned in this ? Surly he would of been more powerful and similar to the baddy in this ??

Be interesting to see how Star lord gets roaped back into things

Will Drax be killed off screen if its true about Batista finishing up

Middle film obviously is the best but the first one is brilliant and stands up really well. Third is definitely the weakest but still a good film, especially by today's standards.

Some of them are not self contained trilogies they're just a series of films.

Absolutely none would come even close to Nolan's trilogy, whilst there are some super films within them (X2, Reeves Superman etc.)

What makes Nolan's stound out is the absolute quality of the first 2 films - equal or better than any of the standalone comic book movies per above. And then add in last 10mins of Dark Knight Rises they ended the trilogy just perfect IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Yes, big fan of Batman Begins & The Dark Knight. - 3rd one... not so much...

X1, X2 very good (considering X1 started alof of the superheroes, Spider-man wasn't until 2002). - X3 rubbish

Blade 1 & 2 very good ... - Blade 3 rubbish

Xmen First Class and Days of Future Past... excellent - after that, not so much...

Guardians 1 & 3 ... very good - 2nd.. not so much..

As you say, Thor and Captain America are a series of films contained within a larger Universe. Honourable mention to The Winter Soldier and Ragnarok.

I know you've gone all in on the MCU approach failing but you're really grasping here for any negative news, even if it is pure clickbait 'early indicators'.

Not sure where any 'worry' is coming from - this movie is likely to cross $400m worldwide today.

To put that into context, after just one week it will have made more than 3 times the amount of the last DC release took in over its entire time in theatres.

• Advertisement

This is my feeling on them too.

To me the Nolan trilogy gets extra credit from many because it has a different than most comic book movies, with it being more 'street level', and that it was a big pivot from what we'd seen from Batman in the past.

On the other side I give bonus points for the far more difficult challenges that Gunn faced in what he built, introducing complete unknown set of characters, building multiple unknown worlds, finding balance between humour, action, and heart in all the trilogy, dealing with space, aliens and super powers, having to fit into a larger comic book universe, and having character development arcs for several characters across all three movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

What trilogy is the best is purely subjective anyway , the 2nd nolan film is massively overhyped aswell because of heath ledgers death , rises was awful , Batman Begins was the best 1 by far in my opinion

Loved Guardians 3 better than the 2nd one but nothing beats the 1st one that was absolutely fantastic

I think it's clearly the high point of the MCU either way, and whatever trilogy one thinks is the pinnacle across the genre, it's no coincidence that Guardians' success is down to its creator having the space to make it the way he wanted.

I'm sure James Gunn still had certain mandates & constraints - the Bollix resurrection of Gamora for instance, Guardians 3 openly calling our the inanity of that felt like Gunn's voice - but there's no mistaking the craft of a single creative force working driving the bus vs. committee scripts and PreVis driven plots.

Same can be said for Ant-man. OK Edgar Wright left the director chair before 1 got finished, but his influence still shone through into, OK not a Wow phenomenal movie, but a decent little spin. That was all but gone by the time we got to 3.

God I forgot we came so close to having an Edgar Wright superhero movie. Oof. Some of those other universes really have it better. As you say the footprints were there, so might also speak to how the sequeld tapered off so dramatically from that template.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought Bradley Cooper was singing the slow acoustic version of Creep, again great songs, love the soundtrack

The film was an awesome mix of Firefly, Serenity, Annie, War of the Worlds, Noah's Ark and Secret Life of Pets, a good final swansong which Drax stole, mvp

Post edited by JP Liz V1 on

Want to see Guardians last night thought it wasn’t great. First one was brilliant but I think vols 2 and 3 were fairly shite.

they tried to shoe horn too many songs many of them felt abrupt and unnecessary. Wil Poulter and his character were under used. Story was fairly crap and a lot of set pieces just thrown in for the sake of it (that whole planet they broke into with Nathan Fillian)

really poor film I hope he does a better job on superman.

peacemaker Tv show was one of the best of the last few years

Ms

Jeez someone must have been having a bad day if you think this was shite. It's a brilliant film, funny and heartwarming as well as having plenty of sad and upsetting parts too. I can not wait to go and see it for a second time as I know I will enjoy it even more now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

As expected, the 'early indicator' MCU doom mongers were completely wrong.

51% drop, looking like it'll be another one to go well over another $500m haul.

Around $3.6b+ taken in by the MCU in the last year over 5 movies - very 'worrying'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

in fairness nothing has changed, Marvel cant depend that all their films make a profit, even with Guardians, people didnt give it an automatic chance, they needed word of mouth to confirm its worth going to see. Marvel still need to get a handle on their bloated production budgets and the fact people just wont automatically q up to see b team movies.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement