Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

i must b the only one in the county to think that them northern teams are middlin When ur on the opposite side of Kerry and Dublin. It’s fairly handy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Think if we had met kerry in the semi final last Yr we would have done them. An all Ireland final is a different ball game all together As mayo well know.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Avon8

The question is simple, were Armagh who had come in hammering Donegal and Tyrone a harder prospect than the other teams Galway could possibly draw, Clare or Cork? It was well known long in advance of Galway Mayo in Castlebar last year that the Connacht winner was due to be on the opposite side to Dublin and Kerry, that carrot was there for both teams.

The idea of winning your provincials is that you get rewarded for it. If Galway manage to get over the line on Sunday, they'll have a tougher group awaiting them than a whole host of non provincial winners. Same short end of the stick as last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

True for you. When did a Northern team win an AI last sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

• Advertisement

Why are all Galway teams being rode by refs lately?

Is the county board not donating any prizes for the referees annual dinner dance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Lineout for Sunday lads and Ladies 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Ah here, are we back to swapping keepers after one game again! Madness, Power hardly deserved to be dropped after one game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

He's not dropped, bit of rotation goin on, plenty games still to come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Jesus what is the **** about with goalies about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭testtech05

Same could be said of Gleeson after the league final, or Power after the Kerry game when he hadn't played up to that round of the league.

It's a very strange situation though, you don't see any other teams near the top swapping keepers. Even those like us who have no real standout option usually pick one and stick with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

We can afford to do it , we should get through the group stages regardless of which group e are in after tomorrow, I expect as connacht winners, when it comes to the quarterfinals I expect a clear no 1 will have emerged and both will be the better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

4 scored. Could be 4 more. Galway very goal hungry.

So it comes to pass. Footballers and hurlers to play in Pearse Stadium 24 hours apart. Just makes you wonder at times....

2023 All-Ireland SFC Group stage

- Galway vs Tyrone

Date: Saturday 20th May @ 5:15pm

2023 Leinster SHC - Rd.4

- Galway vs Antrim

Date: Sunday 21st May @ 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Antrim fixture was set in stone for a few months so it was hardly going to be changed. Tyrone game could easily have been on afterwards. Neither have to finish on the day. So unless it's going to be fixed for Tuam, fans will have to set out about 11.30am on Saturday in order to get there in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Absolute joke. The pitch is well able for two games in the warmer weather and that Tyrone match could have very easily been accommodated. They'd absolutely get a bigger crowd for a double header than they would for the two separate games put together. Casuals like a double-header. They Antrim match wasn't even going to be televised anyways.

Wonder if it was requested by the management?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Unfortunately I'd be inclined to think it's down to the issues the county board are having with the Leinster Board over not getting what they see as their "fair share" of match proceeds.

It's rubbish because it's the fans who'll suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mjp

TV scheduling dictated that this match would be saturday evening as its a double header on GAAGO with Kerry v Mayo and the hurling was already fixed for sunday prior to this and cant turn around and change dates on antrim which has been scheduled well before knew football was scheduled. Saturday evening in Pearse will make for great atmosphere. Tyrone will bring down a big crowd and nice to get opportunity for few pints in salthill beforehand and into town after. Getting floodlights in pearse would make for a great spectacle for saturday night league matches under lights.

Having pearse over tuam would be big advantage to galway and dont remember us ever playing tyrone there as we tend to bring them to tuam for league matches in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

That's bleak for anyone from Tyrone travelling. They'll be lucky to be back home before 12 if, as per usual, the traffic in Salthill is awful.

There's no reason it shouldn't have been a double header tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Looking at the 2 big football matches last Sunday and the highlights again Sunday night, Kerry look a hell of a lot sharper than Galway, and compared to the league.

Inside the Clare 45 where space is supposed to be very limited they were direct, slick, fast and sharp with their passing and worked very well as a forward unit.

I feel Galway operate a bit more as individuals and then lay it off if they're in bother. But it's more often a sideways or backwards pass.

• Advertisement

Not so sure........ God help kerry if something happens to Clifford.

I agree. Probably the reason Tyrone won the All Ireland when Clifford got injured in the semi final 2 years ago. But he stayed fit last year and if he stays fit again, they look very dangerous and slick.

I see general admission tickets are on sale now for the Tyrone match.

Any idea how much stand tickets are for season ticket holders?

25 feels a bit steep for standing on an open terrace. But I'm guessing if any unsold stand tickets go on general sale next week they'd be more expensive.

Season ticket is €25 and all it says on the eticket is "GA" so no dedicated seats in the stand.

Didn't think it would be as high as €25 for these games. Was expecting €15 tbh. Think that was the price of the Super 8 round Robin games.

After seeing this and checking ticketmaster I've emailed season ticket.

1. In previous years as a season ticket holder you would get a small discount on every game bar a Provincial Final and All Ireland Final. That looks to be gone.

2. Worse than that it looks like Pearse Stadium will be completely GA. No difference between stand or terrace. Which means A) as a season ticket holder you may not be guaranteed a seat in the stand and B) if someone wanted a cut a few euro off and get a cheaper terrace ticket that doesn't seem a possibility.

With all the GAAGO furore this seems a but rich and another money grab.....

GA surely general admission? Surely they can't have a free for all for the stand?

If no discount for season ticket holders it's bad form. If no seat guaranteed either it's a disgrace.

They surely wouldn't be able to control the people looking to get into the stand if it's general admission? I've never seen a slick crowd control system in operation there.

Prices are too high. Connacht semi in Roscommon was 20 for seated terrace. This is 25 for standing, and it's a round robin match.

I agree. Seems very little thought has gone into it. I'll see if season ticket come back with a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Walsh was one of our better players in the league final, largely responsible for bringing us back into it in the first half. Kicked 2 scores from play no-one else would get also. He had been ill v. Sligo, and according to management, they only started him because they didn't want to line-out without both he and Paul Conroy.

• Advertisement

Good win for the minor hurlers. Very talented bunch all over the pitch.

I'll need to watch it on TV when I get back but a couple of tackles from the Killkenny 12 and 9 looked very very dangerous. After the head high hits of late I thought we might see a change in attitude with referees but today seemed more of the same.

Advertisement