Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I don’t regard them as a good band as they haven’t even produced an album as far as I know. They are just a tv band, and will come up with a song here and there to try to fit whatever is the current wokey agenda. Picture This are a bit of a tv band too, but they do make albums and are very good live, and their frontman has real charisma. Delorentos are much more at the other end, they are a seriously good band of musicians who are more music artists before being stars. The Thrills I liked too, they were so fresh and original, their last album Teenager is a modern classic. I hate the current wokey drivel music that is Hozier and Dermot Kennedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The Croatia song has been stuck in my head all day, it makes a lot more sense when you see what the song is actually about. Let 3 definitely won't be making friends with Russia or Belarus, won't be surprised to see it getting a good result Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I'm a huge eurovision fan and although Ireland didn't get through I'm still gonna watch it tomorrow and Saturday, Finland to win though 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I think we're suffering from our own success in a way. The Eurovision "experts" in this country are all people who won decades ago. We seem incapable of letting go of the glory days. Our last win was almost 30 years ago. Our experts are the past winners and songwriters who lead to us being the most successful country in Eurovision history. They deserve praise for their achievements (and they have certainly gotten it) but the Eurovision they were a part of is no more. They need to step aside and let a knew generation take the reins. It's akin to letting your grandparents dress a teenager. They may have had style in their day but times have moved on. Yet these are the people heavily involved in selecting our entry and putting our staging together.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭maximus15

We have only qualified twice in last 10 years and both acts first names were Ryan so it's only right to give Mr tubridy a crack at it, seeing as he has abit of time on his hands in a few weeks . That gives him the guts of a year to get 3 or 4 singings lessons a week to sound anyway like a singer .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭delboy85

I'm still hoping for a Finland win on Saturday night but I thought his vocals were very ropey last night. They seemed so much stronger in the Finnish national final.

Was also disappointed with the clip of France. I really like the studio version, and she seemed to have a bit of momentum recently, but her vocals weren't great on that performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,928 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes they sing about "that little psychopath" and "moron" i.e. Vladimir Putin.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Better than the original

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

This idea that the band member being sacked and the twitter reaction brought about our demise this year is ridiculous. The idea that the millions sitting down across Europe who voted were informed! What do any of us know about the entries from similarly small, and fairly insignificant countries like Croatia, Serbia, Malta etc? Twitter isn't that all pervasive medium some think. Like a lot of things these days, a very small minority make a large amount of noise.

I was chatting with 6 people on break in my office aged 22-63, both sexes, differing interests and backgrounds, none of us had heard about the story. We sent another light weight act, a forgettable one. Whether you like Loreen or not she took over the stage with no backing singers, vocals we can only dream of, brilliant staging and choreography. She put on a show, we just never own it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Maybe it has become too much east-eurovision and I think we are disadvantaged on account of our location on the western edge of Europe

maybe it is time to break away from the east-Eurovision and together with Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland, we should form a „British Isles Vision“

• Advertisement

Our 4 Dublin lads were seriously disadvantaged because the UK could not vote in our semi final

I have micro analysed this and my conclusion is that Dustin was right all along about the block voting

because Dustin spoke the truth - we are still being penalized year after year.

every time I am traveling in Europe and talk about music with my acquaintances they always tell me that they will never forgive us for sending a puppet to Eurovision

one Belgian man told me that there is a „Mayo like“ curse on Ireland in Eurovision

another man in Romania told me I should be ashamed of myself being Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 20,437 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I was wondering why they were saying a tractor so had to look it up about Alexander Lukashenko giving Putin a present of a tractor

• Registered Users Posts: 30,753 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Did you listen to the lyrics of some of the other songs? Wokey much? You're banging a drum that has absolutely zero relevance.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Pathetic. Did he have less resources than Serbia, Croatia etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Expunge

Or little Moldova. A proper poor country. 18 appearances at Eurovision since 2005 - 13 appearances in the final.

Whether you like their offering or not, creativity is happening there while back in Donnybrook Mr. Kealy appears to be picking his hole.

More money? The neck of these people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭techman1

I heard a good suggestion that they should have the selection in a different venue like Whelans or Vicar Street rather than RTE, that's what they used to do with national song contest. Even if they get it out of RTE campus it would add a new dynamic. The rot really started when they broke from the national song contest and started faffing around with x factor formats and then the LLS. If it wasn't broken why did they change it

It's an interesting angle but I think it needs to be something more reflective of the Eurovision. If you look at Whelans or Vicar Street they are intimate venues. Eurovision is the opposite of that now.

To argue against my own point, when it was X factor format that was on a big stage and wasn't a success either.

But yeah, get it away from the LLS and make it more of a song contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,690 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Still Sweden by a country mile, or ‘land mil’ if you will (although Finland have closed the gap).

I wonder if Ukraine will get another huge public vote again.

The lead singer there is now the drummer and the lad on the keyboard is the lead singer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭squonk

Someone said he broke his arm and was sitting at the piano. Couldn’t get past 45 seconds of that. Thought the song was ok at first but your man sounded very high pitched. Sounded a bit rough around the edges but I’d say Rte had some of the blame there.

still, not a band that would instantly top my bands I wish we could send to Eurovision list. So I think we sent an average, or else polarising band with a generic song so the outcome isn’t surprising.

• RTE seem to just see it as a Late Late segment and an opportunity to make a few quid on the tele polling for the national competition.

I suspect they’ve absolutely no desire to actually win and have to host it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

This.

The LLS show has become absolute drivel during the Tubridy years, and anything that will fill a show for them is 1 less show where they actually have to find interesting guests, or interesting topics to talk about..

The LLS Valentines Special

The LLS Country Music Special (times 2-3)

The LLS Eurovision special

Every one of these type of shows is 1 less 'regular' show where they actually have to try (and fail) to make it interesting...

I'm reminded of the time in the early days of Covid where they had all the Aer Lingus pilots on who were flying to/from China bringing back dodgy PPE.. So pilots who essentially were at a loose end, who were doing their job (and getting paid) by flying planes, had an hour long segment dedicated to them like as if they were some sort of heroes who were saving the country...

The Late Late Eurovision special, that's not one they'll want to give away too easily otherwise thats a whole show where they'll have to think up who from Dancing with the Fair City cast should be on to promote whatever new RTE show their doing...

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Nope. Our songs are just sh1t it's nothing to do with the east.

Eurovision is gayer than a pride parade so anyone obsessed with this "woke" sht is really in the wrong place. It's just the usual people trying to turn every thread into CA/IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,690 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Looking forward to Belgium’s performance tonight, as well as Germany’s on Saturday. Most of the stuff I’ve heard from Lord Of The Lost is really good.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

They have a song called Can't Move On which this guy is doing vocals on, and it's quite good, but based on that Late Late video I imagine he could have a bit of trouble translating it to a massive live show like Eurovision.

Still, he would have been a better choice to lead them on vocals broken arm or not. I can only guess they thought the other bloke was the better showman. That song I mentioned has a bit of quirky offbeatness that could fit the Eurovision so they are capable, instead all the wrong choices were made.

Advertisement