Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I thought he was injured around Christmas and that's why he hadn't played since. My mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Liverpool have done the player exchange thing a couple times in the past, so there is scope.

I'm not so sure that Brighton would effectively bin both their keepers for one new guy though, it's not really their style. They like to embed a player at the club for a while before 'promoting' him after a period of time from within the club. It would be harsh for then to just tell both Sanchez and Steele to leave.

Maybe Spurs as they will have a GK opening but they might not be willing to take the risk on a relatively unproven GK. I still think Burnley might suit him, but they only bought their GK last summer. Leicester, if they stay up but they might feel like they were burned by Ward. Brentford perhaps, as Raya has been making noises about moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I doubt they'd get rid of both... probably do the same as what they're doing now, but with an upgraded option. Would reckon they'd sell on Steele, and then have Kelleher and Sanchez fight it out for the shirt.

If it's a sale, would love to see him at Brighton over the other options. They look that little bit more likely to keep their place in the league over the next few years. Tbh, if we weren't selling to them (and getting the benefit of fitting into the Mac Allister deal) then i'd rather we just loan him out somewhere he's guaranteed to play for a year, to everyone's benefit. Then after showing his level, whatever that may be, selling him on to the highest level he can go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

How happy would we be with our back up keeper if Kelleher does indeed go? Never fills me with confidence, but most back ups probably wouldn't.

We won't have a back up because Adrian is leaving as well isn't he?

There is some talk that the German lad Ron-Robert Zieler would come in. He's 34 and playing in the second division in Germany, but he counts as HG as he was on the books of Man Utd as a kid for a few years.

I'd guess the next kid will just step up to backup spot, same as Kelleher did. Pitaluga is very highly rated, would guess he's next in line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Would be a bit sad to see Kelleher go but understandable if he needs first team football.

Not bad business if we get 20 mill for him on top of 15 mill for Ward then 35 mill for 2 reserve keepers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

deffo, always fear playing them. Crazy game a couple of seasons ago we battered them and they came back from behind and beat us 3-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzOk2mM_5FI

Serious skill from Bobby and a nice Salah finish.. then the shít hit the fan- a mental VAR offside decision, Kabak and Alisson got in each other's way....

• Advertisement

If Leceister do go down who would be worth looking at?

Maddison, Barnes, Dewbury Hall, Tielemans, Ndidi, Soumaré, Daka?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

That would be a genius move if it gets us a homegrown player for a role that is almost never needed.

I think Jaros would take Kelleher's place in the squad as he has been out on loan for the past 3 seasons so has some first team experience behind him and he is also a homegrown player that has come through the academy.

Would Klopp get him back performing or does he have a bad attitude problem?

James Justin maybe, as that would cover RB/LB and maybe even the RB/CB hybrid too. HG, but I dunno how viable he is any more with 2 serious injuries (ACL & Achilles) in 2 years.

Castagne could also be worth a shout maybe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

There was a time when I would have paid good money for him. He showed energy, bite in the tackle, ability to get between the 2 boxes etc but that was a while back.

Can't remember a game when he actually put in a performance now.

No more than a squad player now - depending on if there was an attitude problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

A few places now reporting that Liverpool will move for Manuel Ugarte this week. Obviously it could be bull, but if true would he be seen as a replacement for Fab? Any time I seen him play he is always the more defensive midfielder of the Sporting due. 

Last summer Arsenal made a £30M offer for him, there was an offer of £18M rejected in January so I wouldn't be surprised to hear he is joining Arsenal on a free transfer.

He was very impressive the season he was on loan from Monaco and the first season after the move was made permanent. Leicester priced him out of moves at that point. I can imagine that it has been very disheartening for a player who was kept at the club when the team were on the cusp of breaking into the top 4 two years ago, but have since gone into free fall due to a lack of investment. That might explain his lack of stand out performances for the past two seasons, he has just been doing what is required to meet the club's ambitions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,693 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭jack747

I Hope we don't go for Maddison if they get relegated. He is the epitome of overrated Englishman. He has Newcastle written all over him. I would take Mount over him all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

I see Kovacic is being linked to Bayern and both Manchester clubs as he is entering his final year of his contract. I think he would be a fantastic addition. On the negative side, he has just turned 29 and I checked his injury record; he has missed 27 games over the past 3 seasons so in all honesty we would probably break him! But from a purely football perspective I dont know why we are not being linked to him. Would love to see him and 2 younger lads come in also.

I agree but watch him turn up and put in a inspired performance against us on Monday night, like he always does against us!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

More rumours of Ugarte floating around...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

27 games over 3 seasons isn't that bad, that's only 9 games a season, that's acceptable, imagine if Thaigo, Keita or Ox only missed 27 games in the last 3 seasons, we could only dream of that. Thaigo has missed almost 70 games since he joined us 3 seasons ago, how can you build a team with players missing huge chucks of every season.

Player availability is really underrated, imagine if Salah had missed 70 games over the last 3 seasons, I dread to think where we'd be. It's vital we sign players in the summer who have a good injury record, it won't guarantee that they will not get injured, but, signing known injury prone players is not a good idea.

• Advertisement

It looks like we’re going to prepare an official offer alright. That signing to me would see the end of Fab I reckon, I can’t see us spend 60 odd million on a defensive midfielder to sit on the bench!

I read earlier in the season from some Chelsea fans that Kovacic was really struggling as he had been run into the ground in recent seasons. He was there, but the intensity was not the same.

15 days his future will be resolved according to this agent. Using Liverpool's name though....is that trying to snuff out other clubs or is it genuine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I love how agent quotes always seem to start with a startled question, phrased like they've just been approached while walking to their car.

"Alexis to Liverpool? He is committed to the project at Brighton. But who knows. In football, as in life, anything can happen" etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Silly season is in overdrive with the media knowing we need to replace our midfield. Strongest links seem to be Alexis Mac, mason mount, ugarte. I've no idea about ugarte but I think the other 2 would fit in nicely. We seem to want gravenberch but Bayern won't sell is the word, pity he looked a huge talent at Ajax.

I just hope we can get the business done fast. Good preseason together and hit the ground running in the league. I still believe with a few good additions we are best placed to challenge city again.

• Advertisement

I think the agent is using the club's name to get something happening because he has been briefing reporters in Portugal regularly. Last week there was a story that there was an informal contract offer from Liverpool and there was to be a formal approach "next week". It's now Thursday of that next week and the story has changed to them believing that the situation will be resolved in 15 days. It's merely coincidence that 15 days brings us to the final weekend of the domestic season in most European leagues, and it makes it sound like something is happening rather that saying that they will discuss the player's future at the end of the season.

Sporting took the engine out of their team when they sold both Palhinha and Nunes last summer, we have been linked with moves for both players but we didn't make an offer for either player at the time. I don't see the club paying Ugarte's €60M release clause because the Portuguese clubs require that such clauses are paid in full in order to facilitate the transfer and that's not how FSG operate. The only reason I could see a move happening is if Sporting miss out on qualifying for the Champions League next season and that would facilitate a negotiation on the price.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that Liverpool is circling like a vulture ready to acquire one of their talented young players (Ugarte or Inacio) if they become available at the right price. The club maintaining communications with the agent while he continues to talk to the media makes sense in that instance.

And Liverpool have used clubs not being in the Champions League to their advantage in the past too.

Once Porto were knocked out of the CL and needed a boost of cash, they targeted Diaz. Same story again with PSV & Gakpo. PSV didn't get CL money this season so selling Gakpo gave them a nice payday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We're getting linked with literally every desired midfielder in Europe, and all of them are as far fetched as Bellingham, so we're signing Barella, Manuel Ugarte, Ryan Gravenberch, Mason Mount and Alexis Mac Alister they're all arriving in the summer. Yea right

The club passed on Gravenberch last year and there has been strong speculation since his agent was invited to visit Liverpool in January. The Mount and Mac Allister links have been consistently doing the rounds for months. Ugarte might be a possibility, but not if we're getting the first three.

The others are just speculation. Most of the links are click bait stories dragging up the names of players the club have shown an interest in the past. Barella turned down the opportunity of a move to Liverpool in 2021. Piotr Zielinski is another example of a former target (circa 2016/2017) we were linked with a couple of days ago. Today we were reported to have inquired about taking Tchouameni on loan from Madrid next season.

Hopefully all of the club's transfer business gets done in June and it will spare us a summer of nonsense speculation.

The club pouncing on a good value opportunity is definitely a possibility. Though I have a hard time believing that Ugarte is a first choice transfer target.

It's a bit odd that he seems to be the only proper 6 we're linked with buying so far. It's such a huge obvious need in our squad, I'd have expected more names to be thrown out there by now.

We definitely won't be signing all of them, but, if we sign any 2 ot them it'll instantly improve us. Effectively they will be replacing Kieta and Ox in the squad who basically have contributed nothing this season. The emergence of Bajcetic and return of Morton from his loan spell is likely to be seen by the club as filling Milner's place.

I think we should sign 3 midfielders, but, we'll probably end up with 2 new midfielders ( possibly Mac Allister and Mount, )plus Bajcetic and Morton. If we did manage to secure CL we might sign a third midfielder.

Just playing devil's advocate here but maybe we don't want a dedicated 6?

Fabinho wasn't exactly a 6 when he signed, iirc he was more of a double pivot at Monaco who was then coached into playing as a 6 for his first 6 months at the club. Took his time getting up to speed, but when he did, he exploded and was brilliant. The same applies to Rodri. He was more of a double pivot at Atletico and took his time getting up to speed at Man City - 12 months or longer and then he really exploded into the world's best in the position.

The players who are more comfortable in a pivot might allow more tactical flexibility. I'm not sure if the 4-2-4 idea has totally been abandoned now, especially with the increased used of the 3-2-2-3, but someone content as a double pivot suits both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I wouldn't be entirely happy with just 2 midfielders. We were light in midfield last season and absolutely crippled there this season. Now we're losing 3 players from the same position I.e. Keita, Ox and Milner (and possibly Carvalho). Henderson has now shown he shouldn't be a starter and Fab may no longer be good enough.

We need 3 players to replace the 3 starters we have. Then we need Henderson to close out games and blood in both Bajcetic/Elliot. Thiago can rotate when available.

No guarantee that the new players fit our system or could possibly need a few months to get up to speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah the only place he would cover for them is on the physio table

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

We payed 80 million for a striker to sit on the bench

I'm fully expecting either Fab or Thiago to leave this summer,maybe even both, but that might be too risky unless we buy a ton of midfielders.

Fab isn't the sane player he was.

Thiago is unreliable due to injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

At a guess I'd say if one was to leave it would be Fab.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him go.

If one does leave it should be Thaigo, he's constantly injured and is one of the highest paid at the club. Fabinho might not be the player he was, but, has shown some signs of improvement recently, which bodes well for next season. I don't think he'll ever get back to where he was, but, I still think he'll be able to do decent job, plus can cover CB if required which might be an issue next season with Matip and Phillips both likely to leave.

Thaigo on the other hand is likely to miss half the season with injuries, only plays well when the whole team is performing, but, tends to go missing when the team is struggling or not performing like this season. I think we would struggle to offload Thaigo at this stage, so are stuck with him, what top European club would take the risk on signing him, especially with the kind of money he's on.

It's extremely important that any new midfielders we sign have a good fitness and availability record, no guarantee they won't get injured, but, is a good indication. We should definitely stay away from sicknotes, regardless of their ability or low cost, no point having a player in the squad with world class ability if he's rarely fit to play, we have enough experience of that and should learn the lesson.

Christ, it's the one place in the squad where we look well covered, when All players are available.

He won't always be on the bench -but you already know that.

Confirmed or opinion?

Imo, it might be a business decision to move one of them on to free up money. Thiago is probably on a huge wage with little payback.

• Advertisement

Agreed. Surely that's what we want. Top squad players to rotate when required.

Advertisement