Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The IT figures from the PPR are broadly the same as the CSO. The trends are the same.

and also at odds with Cairns thinking another 10k will be added to prices when the current price is unaffordable

Again with the "current price is unaffordable". This is a vacuous statement, it's immeasurable. You have no idea whatsoever how broadly affordable prices are right now.

You are suggesting prices and costs cannot possibly go up because people cannot afford the current prices. This does not tally with the actual facts, and this is not how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

My own two cents is that the slowdown, such as it is, will not last. The ballooning of prices in the last few years was caused by the state's reaction to the 'rona. I.e., shutting things down and flooding the country with funny money. Naturally, things cooled off when "normal" market conditions returned, and likely rate hikes and uncertainly played a role also.

However, the demand for housing here has not changed, and there is still plenty of money floating about. I would love to see a crash as we badly need one, but I just cannot see where it's coming from.

There is still, quite obviously, a very substantial demand for property. YoY prices are trending up. MoM prices are trending down, but by inconsequential amounts. From the latest figures that the CSO released, prices are back at September 2022 levels.

Leaping from this to property being "unaffordable" is quite a leap across a vast chasm. The data does not point to any affordability issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Of course you can measure it. if prices are dropping they are dropping for a reason. We have an under supply of properties and had ravenous demand up until last year that is a fact and yet with more and more increases in our population and no increase in supply we are now seeing prices dropping so why is that, the demand is still there, the only parameter that has changed is the access to cheap credit which was there 12 months ago and this access to cheap credit is no longer available to anyone getting a new mortgage and this has quelled demand this is a fact. We are facing at least 2 more interest hikes before July. Look proof is in the pudding lets see if current month on month decreases we are seeing continue for the rest of the year. So this basically boils down to affordability its not just the price of the property that people and banks have to factor in they now have to factor in the repayments and the good auld stress tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

That pinhole leak in the boat is nothing to worry about... 😋

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Is this Misinformation, malinformation, disinformation or fake news - Its a bollox story used by the mainstream to push narratives and agendas.

Imagine the Ditch or some 'disruptive' news outlets stated something so misleading - Politicians and the mainstream would have a field day attacking them and portraying them as 'fake news'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

this has quelled demand this is a fact

Let's be clear though, by an inconsequential amount. MoM trends are dropping incredibly slowly, we are at September 2022 price levels. Prices are still up significantly YoY.

The rate of price growth has absolutely slowed, maybe prices have plateaued, but jumping from this to "current prices are unaffordable" is garbage. Clearly, prices remain affordable for the overwhelming majority, as the sales data tells us. Extrapolating from this to thinking prices cannot go up because nobody can afford it is purely wishful thinking.

Maybe prices will continue to drop, maybe prices will start to drop faster, maybe they'll go up again. We have absolutely no idea at this point.

It depends on what you would class as affordable. I can afford a 300k house with ease, but that would not be the case for everyone. High earners can still find a place to buy, but those on the average wage will struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

Been watching houses for 3 years now through some crazy times, but this with multiple bidders up to €1.23m after a few weeks on market might be the new record for craziness that I’ve seen.

https://huntersestateagent.ie/properties/17-anglesea-park-killiney-co-dublin/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Even high earners are struggling because there is nothing on the market to begin with!

Volume is incredibly low regardless of your price point

Ok so if prices are so affordable and we have a record number of people looking to get on the property market and a near all time low stock of supply what does that tell you about affordability and why have we seen 5 month on month drops in the county that is the most desirable place to live in??. Price in simple economic terms is supply vs demand so its not garbage to come to the conclusion that if access to cheap credit has gone this has greatly increased the amount of people who would have been in a category of looking to buy a house to the category of those who can no longer afford to buy a house. (its not just the head line property price, its the repayments and the stress tests that banks have to do for every one before giving out a mortgage) Demand is being seriously diminished by interest rates otherwise prices would of continued going up and the proof is 5 month on month drops in the face of our ravenous demand vs p1ss poor supply paradigm. The proof of the point I am making is staring you in the face with those price drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Maybe a hike in corporation tax causing MNCs to run for the hills, and the resultant mass loss of jobs causes Dublin's population to shrink by 5-10% in a short period of time. I don't see how a crash would come any other way than large-scale demand destruction, and speculation of what could spark it all off is getting off-topic..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ha I saw that go up a few weeks ago, immediately thought it was very underpriced and would go for well over a million. They wouldn't give us a suitable viewing time so we said we'd leave it for a few weeks, might as well let somebody else go first and see what the actual price is going to be. It was €1.13m when we enquired at the start of the week 😱

I'm bidding on something else and am the only bidder thus far after nearly a month on the market, it needs work though so maybe the decent quality stuff is still in high demand. That Angelsea Park house is hardly in turn key condition either though.

If demand was being seriously diminished then we'd see prices seriously dropping.

Have we seen prices seriously dropping?

The CSO have stated 5 month on month drops. In dublin its over 2% of a drop in the months from Oct 2022 to Feb 2023. Let me flip your argument on its head we have a near record level of low supply so if demand was not being diminished we would be seeing property price continue to rise as it was up until around Q3 of last year ye know just before interest rates started jacking upwards.

Definitely underpriced but given it needs a full redecorating and likely some general quality of life improvements (200k or so at a minimum), I expected in the the €1m-€1.1m range - that said it was 2019/20 since we last looked closely in that area so maybe I’m out of touch!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

@awec

What is your definition of affordable?

Housing may be affordable to state bodies with deep pockets filled by many that are priced out and funds who pay no tax

What proportion of the non home owning population between age 25 and 40 can afford current prices in your opinion? My guess would be between 15 and 30% climbing as they age within that range.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

if you look at the prices expected for new builds around the area now there has been further inflation, so while i wouldnt pay it for that anglesea park house i can see why the price is where it is. I would be pretty confident that the new build we bought in 2017 proximate to both these houses is worth 60-70% more than we paid which is bananas.

I believe these are all sale agreed for example:

What ever happens they borrowed and used it for revenue generating assets that move the country forward economically.

Water under the bridge, but builders were working on projects that now appear surplus to requirements like commercial real estate.

With regards labour, can always be sourced were the will to do so present. Many of our nurses are not even from the EU, despite the country educating sufficient numbers to cover our own needs. Many other examples of sectors that sourced labour internationally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

A broken nation at this stage. I other news very little clay being stripped on new sites/big projects around the Dublin are this last 6 months. There will be a big slow down in construction come 6 months to a years time when these projects are completed as nothing coming down the tracks - what that will do to house prices - guessing game

Yeah, you’re definitely right that new build inflation has been remarkable since 2020. We’ve seen new builds near us increase their asking prices by €500-€600k (40%-50%) from their first soft launch two years ago and quickly selling out anyway.

With the cost of doing any work these days, I don’t blame people for wanting a walk in ready house - which that Anglesea house most certainty isn’t!

Govt see home ownership and inflation as a strategy to get reelected. If more people are damaged by their policies, that's an acceptable opportunity cost. The key is to try to get as many into partial or full ownership and capture their votes.

This puts the market on steroids oscillating between boom and bust

The clowns could not operate a bit more discretely. Now this is plastered all over international media, this will spark investigations into where this money is coming from

That time period would correlate with the ramp up in investment fund activity diversifying into houses from apartment blocks. The Maynooth mass purchase story was early 2021

More a money printing, government policy, tax free entities story than an inflation story

Perhaps, although I doubt investment funds are too active in the €1.9m Dalkey new build market! I guess it does apply a squeeze up from the bottom though .

The massive increase in cost of funding in 2022 will have very quickly dampened demand from these funds so hopefully a thing of the past. On the down side, no doubt it will also impact home building , particularly much needed apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

No surprise developers are jacking up the prices of new builds when Local Authorities, Investment Funds accounted for the purchase of 42% of all new builds last year. Blank cheque operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭herbalplants

"In 2021, Ireland agreed to an Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) plan for a global rate of 15% tax — a move set to be phased in from 2024, but that has been flagged as potentially jeopardizing Ireland’s attractiveness to big firms, particularly as many attempt to rein in spending in the wake of recent interest rate rises."

Living the life

I wouldn't be surprised if the state manages to engineer a situation of 2008 unemployment where house prices and rents continue to rise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SummerK

This video although made for australia perfectly matches with the situation in Ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqFPhsO-2W0

Advertisement