Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Do please enlighten dont keep us in suspense .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Just to follow up on a point I made early about future mass migrations completely eclipsing what we are seeing now.

Number of internally displaced people hits record high (rte.ie)

Record number of internally displaced people due to war, climate change

The number of internally displaced people reached a record 71.1 million worldwide last year due to conflicts and climate change events, according to data published today.

The Geneva-based Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC) said that figure represented a 20% increase since 2021, with an unprecedented number of people fleeing in search of safety and shelter.

The bulk of displaced people last year - 32.6 million - was due to disasters including floods, droughts and landslides.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I recall my elderly geography teacher frequently commenting how Bangladesh was unsuitable for human habitation, due to the inevitably of catastrophic flooding and associated tropical diseases. This was before Climate Change was taken into account. However, there was no talk of the population of Bangladesh moving to Europe to escape.

Monsoonal Climates in general are doomed to either have too much or too little rain from year to year. It is a human conceit to assume the weather should behave as we expect or desire.

If the hurricane that struck the North East USA in 1938 occured today we would never hear the end of it. It would be held to up as an example of Climate Change for decades to come.

For thousands of years we adapted our ways to suit the climate. Nowadays we live the way we want to live and how dare the Climate not cooperate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭batman_oh

This and the population in poorer countries is exploding at a level that is unsustainable regardless of climate change. So obviously there are going to be more people fleeing places that can't support the relentless population growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

he only way to enable change is to vote for a different party that has a chance of getting into Govt.

The problem is that there are arguably no realistic options for an alternative vote.

The beauty of PRSTV though is you don't have to worry about the highlighted bit. You just give your first preference to whatever candidate you feel closest to ideologically, irrespective of how likely you think they are to get elected. And as you move down the ballot paper you can take realistic options into more consideration...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Juran

No 1. Free and easy access to birth control in these poorer countries is the only solution. No use throwing money at them, the men in charge just take it for themselves. No use in sending food, well fed women are too fertile.

No 2. Western world, UN, WHO, world bank, etc need to invest in education and training, for boys and girls in these countries. Divert resources into education (and birth control as I said above), then innovation, businesses, employment, better healthcare, recreation & sports, etc will naturally follow. This will make the people want to stay in their homeland.

Corrupt leaders, lack of womens rights and too high birth rate is a big root cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,392 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Refugees and immigrants are extremely beneficial.

Ireland is a much better place now than it was in the 1950s where we were an insular theocratic backwater.

The vast majority of refugees find work and contribute to society once their application is processed. They bring food, music, culture, sporting ability and enrich our lives.

Refugees are not a burden but an opportunity - OECD

• Registered Users Posts: 34,101 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Enrich our lives?

Can you provide a link the vast majority of refugees and leave to remain are working ? The 90k Ukrainian refugees and asylum seekers that have recently come will soon be working . I love your optimism .

Your link is outdated and does not mention Ireland but makes comparisons with other countries . The cost of welfare , accommodation, language and skill training is substantial in comparison to those that come legally and find employment .

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

Akrasia, you are spouting unproven globalisation propaganda. Without any selective criteria you are going to get the good, the bad and the ugly. An entire spectrum of people are probably showing up. They are able to show up with no documentation and we have no idea whether they have been in prison or if have criminal records. It's absolute madness and nothing but a detriment.

https://youtu.be/eTuwcCxducY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Lol. Sweden sure got enriched recently until they stopped pretending everything was going great.

If we had surplus housing, a functioning healthcare system etc. then maybe we might have a chance of integrating huge amounts of refugees properly, but you are deluded if you think the current trajectory of just letting everybody in from everywhere with nowhere to put them is going to enrich anything.

No point trying to get somebody so fully onboard with this ideal to see reason though.

Look at this for BS !!

Minister for Justice Simon Harris will tell a Cabinet sub-committee today that the number of applications fell this year by 50% between January and April. There were 1,300 applications for international protection in January 2023, compared with 633 last month.

IPO figures . First Quarter 2023 , 2995 applicants . First Quarter 2022 , 2182 applicants . The April stats are not available yet .

http://www.ipo.gov.ie/en/ipo/pages/statistics

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

German bring in striker controls.

Cause and effect.

“In the first four months of 2023, some 101,981 asylum applications were filed in Germany, an increase of 78 percent from the same period in 2022.”

“The anti-migrant party is currently polling at around 15 percent, compared with 10.3 percent in the last general election in 2021.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I absolutely can't believe what Leo Varadkar is saying on the tonight show VM1 TV.

I'll see it it's posted on twitter and post later. Unbelievable stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,270 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So the Irish improvements are down to immigration or hard work domestically by citizens across all spectra of life here ?

this unlimited policy is going to be to the detriment of Irish citizens long term. The sooner the deniers realise this the better,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Why are you conflating immigrants with refugees here as if I mentioned immigrants at all.

Of course Ireland is better than it was in the 1950’s - who said otherwise? Are you suggesting refugees are responsible for this transformation or something?

Of course the cultural enrichment deriving from immigration is a positive. I’m pro immigration. However I am not pro bend over free for all benefits buffet courtesy of the Irish taxpayer for whoever can manage to get here one way or another.

Can you please provide a source for your claim that the vast majority of refugees get employed and become net contributors to Irish society.

We have court cases for to house people who came here with no passport and we have Leo on VM1 tonight show saying about the 78yo woman that will be homeless soon "I know the case and it is going to get worse".

VM1 still haven't uploaded the video bit I will if the don't by tomorrow evening.

The guy on the VM1 show from the The communications clinic that I believe is run by the women that tryed to distroy the women that broke the story about the dead baby's nuns tried to hide.

Not a chance I'd believe a word he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So what is Musa Dogan the guy in a video on Twitter who was swinging a steel bar at people and is wanted by the authorities in other countries doing to enrich our lives I wonder?

I also wonder how he was able to enter the country in the first place?

Could it be that unvetted men are coming here and nobody is checking to see who they are?

Surely not because the left are always saying to suggest this is fake news by the far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I see this Dogan fella got in "citizen journalist" Phillip Dwyer's face repeatedly calling him a scumbag. He's dead right, Dwyer is a scumbag. Gammon no-brain fired from An Post for abusing animals. Turns to racism because his life is a misery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

People really starting to see the likes of Phillip Dwyer for the absolute gutter-scum that they are. Braindead perma-dole scumbags and scangers with nothing going on in their lives so they have to try to lash out and blame others for their wasted lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

100 percent.

"So I'm an Irish scumbag in me own country?"

Yes, Phillip, yes you are. Glad to see the penny had dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

And that's why people like you need to be locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

They see it perfectly well. It’s absolutely 100% crystal clear.

Young men with no skills no work history no education no qualifications and no English arriving from Albania and Georgia Botswana and Sth Africa every day claiming “asylum”.

Claiming to be unsafe in peaceful untroubled countries. There’s no explanation as to why they needed to get a connecting flight/flights involving sometimes 2 layovers in order to get here. They could have flown directly and cheaply and quickly into any neighbouring country and been safe but no, Dublin is apparently the only place they’ll be safe.

The white saviours here and in England will argue that they are coming here because they have family already here. But that’s rubbish because if their family here welcomed them then why are the lying in tents?!?

No, “libs” as you describe them have to defend their position fanatically even though it’s obviously a nonsense (all of it immigration, transgender, hate crime etc) as their whole agenda will fold like a deckchair if they don’t keep it all going. all If they concede that even one little bit of the progressive ideology is nonsense then the whole thing is a busted flush.

Concede that these men are not bona fide asylum seekers then you might have to concede that men cannot be allowed to compete in women’s sports competitions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If a camp went up on Shrewsbury Road (or any other middle to upper class environs that preach the most upon everyone else) you'd see racism from those individuals like you've never seen before.

They won't be accepting camps in their own neighbourhoods. They won't be on the streets like the scumbags, they've quiter ways of protecting their areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

I was thinking that myself. We all know certain parts of Dublin aren't safe at night. Anyone coming from a safe destination would do well to stay there.

Hope word gets out.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

Rubbish. Most are a burden on us and bring nothing positive to our society. We should be only hand picking the best and brightest not the free for all we are witnessing here the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

The local residents associations would(most quickly) engage a legal team purely and simply to ensure the appropriate enforcement of the planning laws, they condemn the governments treatment of these people and your accusation of racism is unfair......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That's not how the refugee / asylum system works and would render the entire refugee system inoperable.

In fact, it would be extremely difficult to even operate a regular immigration system visa system like this (who is to say that a hotel worker or nursing home employee is less valuable to Ireland than an IT worker?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I wonder if virtual full employment is sparing us from a lot of bad stuff in this area. Perhaps there'sv a fair few like this about

Advertisement