Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Yulu

The Simpsons and Germany:

"We Germans are not a warlike people, but even we have our limits"

"No one who speaks German could be an evil man"

• Registered Users Posts: 60,643 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Babylon 5: The Road Home

Returning Babylon 5 castmembers include Bruce Boxleitner as John Sheridan, Claudia Christian as Susan Ivanova, Peter Jurasik as Londo Mollari, Bill Mumy as Lennier, Tracy Scoggins as Elizabeth Lochley and Patricia Tallman as Lyta Alexander

The voice cast also includes Paul Guyet as Zathras and Jeffery Sinclair, Anthony Hansen as Michael Garibaldi, Mara Junot as Reporter and Computer Voice, Phil LaMarr as Dr. Stephen Franklin, Piotr Michael as David Sheridan, Andrew Morgado as G’Kar and Rebecca Riedy as Delenn.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,525 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Shared same in film forum; very intrigued to watch this and hopefully the animation is decent. And equally hopefully this might open the door to a proper new live action show.

He is very open and engaging on Twitter and answers so many tweets about B5 and where it’s going now

The reboot and talks around it were originally held up by the Warner Brothers Discovery take over and the sale of CW now it’s delayed more due to the writers strike.

Hopefully when this streams it will get the views that entice WBD to invest in the reboot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,525 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You'd hope so. If ever there was a show with a good concept and solid setting for a retread, it's this. Mind you, it not being made by the CW would be nice; I don't need a reboot where Delenn turns into some pouting 20-something Canadian with good hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,173 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I was surprised there wasn't a Babylon 5 subforum on Boards, or none I could find at any rate.

Though I suppose boards came along after its heydey.

How will this be released - TV \ streamer \ movie theaters?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

There was a forum! But it was shuttered a long time ago during the last round of tidy-up (there may be another one coming). I remember it myself and it was as dead as a dodo.

Not sure why Babylon 5 never quite made much of a cultural footprint: maybe Star Trek Ds9 stole its lunch, both existing around similar times. I think this movie is to be streamed but not sure tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

They did the same with Capaldi.

The stories they gave him were not great and I wouldn’t be surprised if that is why he left,

I didn’t like the Tennent and Tate characters but their were the best. Smith and Gillan were much better but the story quality declined.

I did think it odd that the first female Doctor was given a team of companions and some old whites guys - why not a young lad if they were changing the gender?

Is the big deal about the new lead being gay just because he is or is it that the Doctor is also gay? I don’t remember the Doctor having a romance? Wasn’t there a kurffle from fans when Amy threw herself at Smith’s Doctor and he kissed her? Or let her kiss him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I just finished my rewatch of Frasier, I think I'd seen most pretty much all of it before in scattered reruns but I'd never watched it all in order. Just when I was thinking it remained fairly consistent thoughout the quality took an absolute nosedive in the second half of season 11, my god some of the worst and most cliched sitcom writing I've ever seen, culminating in one of the most lackluster finales I can remember. I don't understand how it could have been so rushed, the "Frasier" logo is silver in season 10 and gold in 11 leading me to believe that they knew they were ending but the Ronee character is introduced so late, as is Charlotte and yet they still make time for a filler flashback episode (with some of the worst wigs I've ever seen) two episodes before the finale. A very disappointing ending to what was otherwise a great show. Even Daphne's complete change in characterisation after getting with Niles didn't bother me as much as I expected but I think that's because I hadn't fully realised how much of a one dimensional caricature she was before Donny. I'm very curious now about the reboot but I don't have high hopes.

• Advertisement

Thing is, while the scripts could suck, Capaldi had had a stronger resting magnetic presence. I believe there's a broad template written for the new doctor, the rest given to the actor to bring to the role. Capaldi tapped into that aggro and darkness many of his prior roles tended to have. He has a fantastic "actor face" that the camera loves; think how his introduction was an extreme close up on his eyes.

It also helped he had scripts written by a talented comedy writer in Steven Moffat. Even the crappier episodes would make me laugh through good lines from Moffat etc + perfect delivery from Capaldi, a noted comedy actor. I said at the time Dr Who was a legitimately funny comedy show when it was on song.

I do have a personal theory that Whitaker's utter blandness was intentional though: she was the first female Doctor, already a huge swing that risked a backlash (well, there WAS a backlash anyway but I digress). I've wondered if she was written as inoffensive as possible to avoid rocking the boat too much, and adding fuel to the fire for the Perpetually Outraged class. But all that achieved was to underwhelm and disappoint in aiming so low.

Post edited by pixelburp on

What was the backlash about Whitaker? Was it the blandness?

The backlash prior to the new seasons were simply that she was a woman playing the doctor. To be fair it was mostly the usual Outraged Types screaming on Twitter and YouTube so it was Pavlovian for them, but there was a cohort already on Whitaker's back before she had a chance to play the role. That her Doc was so limp and bland then didn't help turn heads.

Obviously all IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,505 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Irish did well at the Bafta TV awards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

ABC announced their Fall schedule, no scripted shows on it.

NEW SHOWS IN CAPS

MONDAY

8 pm Dancing with the Stars (two hours)

10 pm THE GOLDEN BACHELOR

TUESDAY

8 pm Celebrity Jeopardy!

9 pm Bachelor in Paradise (two hours)

WEDNESDAY

8 pm Judge Steve Harvey

9 pm Abbott Elementary (rerun)

9:30 pm Abbott Elementary (rerun)

10 pm What Would You Do?

THURSDAY

8 pm Celebrity Wheel of Fortune

9 pm Press Your Luck

10 pm The $100,000 Pyramid

FRIDAY

8 pm Shark Tank

9 pm 20/20 (two hours)

SATURDAY

7:30 pm College Football

SUNDAY

7 pm America’s Funniest Home Videos

8 pm The Wonderful World of Disney (three hours)

I guess that means the strike hasn’t a chance of ending anytime soon.

I guess I can use the time to catch up at last.

Streaming services still have other countries for drama series too.

Films and series are being pulled from Disney+ in the US - Willow, Marvel shows included - in a money saving attempt.

How does it save money?

And is it going to happen over here too?

Because every watch of those puts money in the pocket of those set up to receive royalties and residuals; many if not most of these kind of contracts are how writers etc. make recurring income, and IIRC is one of the pillars of the writer's strike; a more equitable reflection of the streaming era WRT to residuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder if it's something they can add to negotiations now, if not already there, since they just suddenly decided to cut off a source of income.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,505 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Philip has quit This Morning, his feud with Holly got bigger

• Advertisement

Thank you. There is a lot of talk on media sites about it but none have explained how it costs money.

So it is happening here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Any sign of when that reboot will be broadcast? I don’t hold out high hopes for it.

And yeah, totally agree with you on the final series of Fraiser- the writers must have been smoking the whacky tabacky or something- it was streets behind the early episodes - I’ve a funny feeling it will look award winning compared to the sh1te they’re about to develop in this reboot

YouTube algorithm suggested this and kinda thought of this conversation about Capaldi. By all accounts the stories weren't great - but here you have a great example of why he was a great Doctor. And it wasn't an isolated case: maybe the episode wasn't great, but Capaldi frequently held them together through sheer angry charisma. There's just no moment as remotely impactful across Whitaker's entire run.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mo Ryan has a new book out. The Lost showrunners don't come out of it well, to say the least.

Not specifically tv related but I'm sure it was an "American cousin" to some here.

Rarbg has shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭jj880

Ah ffs. The layout and grouping of all the different quality rips was really handy. Bollox. Plenty of alternatives available but it was my favourite.

Whack a mole though, right? I'd presume another site would open - unless the specific founders were arrested / prosecuted?

I used rarbg for stuff thats hard to find. Was just about to use it for this:

Found a stream of it elsewhere now. Mad show.

Yeah was handy for seeing all the tv releases of the past day, especially new releases of old shows.

Of course there are other sites but not as tidy or controlled as this.

Was very sudden as well since I didn't notice any downtime lately and it was up at lunchtime.

• Advertisement

I still haven't got the password sharing email from netflix. Working as normal for me.

Advertisement