Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mario Odyssey is an amazing game and for me a far better game the BOTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,577 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There are an awful amount of older games that might swing it for me. The only Nintendo thing I ever owned was a 3DS. A special edition Legend of Zelda 3DS.... which didn't come with any Zelda game because I bought it in CEX.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,396 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Between the Wii U catalogue and remasters of older titles like Metroid Prime and Advance Wars… it really does have a pretty astounding selection of games! Bayonetta 2/3, Mario Kart 8 (maybe the best arcade racing game ever?), Smash Bros, Super Mario Odyssey / 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Xenoblade, Pikmin, Fire Emblem, Splatoon, Metroid Dread etc… It really is quite the catalogue of games!

Of course, Zelda is killer app if ever there was one. And Tears of the Kingdom arrived this morning, so some very long hours in work ahead 😅

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zelda might be the killer app but games like Xenoblade 2 and 3, Mario Odyssey, Mario 3F world, Splatoon, Bayonetta, astral chain, shin Megami tensei 5, etc would also be killer apps. It's check full of amazing exclusives.

It's also a system that just makes sense. Hard to describe this but I bought mine at launch with not much excitement about the system but when it was in my hands I understood what Nintendo was doing with the system. It's a great place to play indies as well.

The system might not have the third party games the ps/Xbox have but the exclusives and amount of them should embarrass the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭walkonby

I find the Switch a frustrating console. As a home console, it sacrifices a lot to allow for portable play, but as a portable, it’s too large, battery-hungry, and not as rugged as the venerable DS clamshell design.

It has some great games but a lot of them were front-loaded into the first couple of years of its life (it’s been years since a proper new Mario of any description, which seems a real missed opportunity with the film out.)

Its catalogue wouldn’t have felt so meaty if it didn’t have the Wii U’s to cannibalise, which is going to be a challenge for its successor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,396 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Switch too large as a portable? Try moving from a Steam Deck to the Switch - the Switch is bloody tiny in comparison 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭walkonby

The Steam Deck is stupidly large. Seeing it in person put me off getting one. But I’m the kind of person who insists on a smartphone I can comfortably use one-handed, which puts me out of step with current tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭McFly85

The steam deck is big enough but very comfortable to hold for long sessions, and you get used to it fairly quickly.

I have just dug out the switch to buy and pre load TotK and it feels tiny in comparison!

Decided to do the voucher thing and picked up Advance Wars with it. And I was doing so well sticking to my backlog!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I get where you are coming from regarding portability. It's quite large, you need a case as well and the battery life is about the same as a PSP or 3DS first gen so not great at all. The two screen clamshell design of the DS and 3DS were peak handheld console design, it's such a pity we have lost that. However the portability works for me when you take it to another room or if the missus is poisoning her mind with love island. Then it makes sense. Also I've a carry case with makes it great for taking on holidays or trips to an air bnb for multiplayer post pub games. I still primarily use the 3DS or Analogue Pocket for portable gaming instead of the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭McFly85

the switch isn’t that big at all, takes up a about the same space as a tablet. It, regularly accompanies me on trips away.

For long haul flights it’s good to have a USB-A to C cable as most airlines now have a charger in each seat. And a case is a must but you can get pretty slim ones on Amazon.

Also being able to have a few games of mariokart with herself has been a good way to pass the time(until she inevitably accuses me of cheating anyway).

I have a short flight on Saturday, I will absolutely be using the time to get an hour of Zelda in!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,728 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Almost certainly going to get a 10/10 across the board.

Got the time wrong, they are out 1pm. Stupid American time zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

And their dates ...

the game isn't out until the 5th of December in the USA. 😁

The Switch was never meant to be pocket portable. It's meant to be carried in a case in your bag.

On the topic of portability, the Asus Rog Ally is launching today at 3pm with a joint Asus and Xbox presentation.

Native support for PC game pass is going to be a big feature for it. Hear that CMA? Native support, not cloud streaming! Although I'm sure it will do that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭quokula

I agree with this. I've had mine since launch and it's by far my least used console of the three. Any form of gameplay using joycons is just a pain, I never play portable and stick with the pro controller. I've brought it on a few long haul flights and things but even then it just feels uncomfortable to use and it's awkward and bulky and I end up playing iPhone games instead because that is a much more comfortable device to hold in addition to the better screen and longer battery life, and the app store does have plenty of content such as Slay The Spire to get you through a journey.

My Switch gets most of its use as a couch multiplayer console, with Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Mario Party etc as this is something the other consoles have sadly neglacted, but as I said before the joycons are a pain for everyone except player one with the pro controller (and some games don't even allow the pro controller, don't get me started on the hoops you have to jump through in controller set up when jumping into certain modes of Mario Party or 51 worldwide games)

Aside from that I do think Nintendo's first party content tends to be very overrated. They benefit a lot from the nostalgia element which I just don't have because I didn't grow up with their games, and they definitely have the most rabid fanboys in the community who will make excuses for any bad design decisions. As far as I can recall BOTW, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Pokemon Sword are the only single player games I've completed on the machine in all the years I've owned it. I bounced off Mario Odyssey and that game does seem to have had a critical reappraisal since all the "best game ever" reviews completely based on hype at the time - I noticed various sites doing best Mario game compilations in the run up to the movie and Odyssey has tended no to rank highly.

I think I've played more PS5 games in the last 6 months than Switch games in the last 6 years. It doesn't help how high Nintendo keep the prices either. There are games I'd play like Pikmin 3 or the Link's Awakening and Advanced Wars remakes that would interest me but not when they're all over fifty quid with no prospect of them ever going on sale, whereas any game you're halfway interested in on the other consoles can usually be purchased around €20 within a year of launch - a side effect of there being far more games and far more competition in those eco systems I guess. Indie games tend to be priced more evenly but again why buy a Switch version when you can get it on either of the other console that will load faster, have more storage space to install it and probably run at a higher resolution with better performance, even in the case of games that don't particularly push hardware.

All that said I'm still super hyped for TOTK though based on the gameplay I've seen. All the consoles have something going for them if gaming is a major hobby for you.

Reviews coming in.

10s flying around the place.

Eurogamer gave it 4/5. The only complaint seems to be there's too much stuff to collect.

It's also reignited the 20+ year old meme of 'better than halo'.

Nintendo really are something else based on those reviews coming in. Incredible what they have achieved again, bug free, and on a such a small footprint device. They wake up the industry time after time.

Will the PC port have shader compilation issues though? 🤣...😄....😅....😪....😭

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I have been using a Hori split pad on my switch recently as the joy-con rail was borked on one of my switches when I fixed it I went back to breath of the wild and I bought fire emblem on the eshop but the memory card slot bust recently so I am now in using an Oled switch and the busted switch in tandem to play my games.

The hori doesn't read amiibos which in my case are essential for both Three Houses and Botw and I am assuming will be useful in Tears when I get it tomorrow but long story short the hori makes the switch seem huge in comparison to the standard joy-con set up they are very light but no rumble and no NFC.

Gone from non chalant about the release to 9 year old on Xmas eve levels of excitement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They also constantly prove, time and again, that there's more to good graphics than "more" of everything. That a strong, guides aesthetic, polished to a mirror shine, will stand out more than the busier, technically more superior games on other consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

That's fantastic to hear there's no bugs trying to find those damn butterfly and dragonflies for the kids at the stables were a horror show 🤣🤣

now that is it for me as if I actually don't stop I'll start reading the reviews and spoilers

Wind Waker on the Gamecube is still the best looking 3D game of all time and no amount of ray tracing is going to change that.

I remember Super Mario 3D World on WiiU looking spectacular and way better than other games on PS4 at the time as well as running at 60FPS.

I'm sure speedrunners will have it beat in 15 minutes in a months time.

Wind Waker is a triumph of art design, but I do think Hi-Fi Rush may have finally taken the cel-shaded crown two decades later. That thing looks incredible in motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I never got into Hi-Fi Rush, but I like to listen to Rush on Hi-Fi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Advertisement