Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Racecourse - Russian Flags

Options
  • 11-05-2023 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

Very disapointed/annoyed to see this event taking place in Naas Racecourse Co Kildare Last Sunday- seems like there used be a may day celebration over the years ( which many were unware of ) and now its hijacked by Russians living in Ireland ??

So Ukraine has been invaded with tens of thousands killed and many cities reduced to rubble and an Irish racecourse allows this event ?? are Naas Racecourse that desperate for money??

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

It's not against the law to be Russian, I doubt the race course knew there would be such pro Ukraine invasion sentiments expressed. I believe the event is/was for people who were from former SU countries, not just Russians but the Russian contingent seems to be the largest now at the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

If I had my way I'd launch them onto the next plane back to Moscow. But apparently the do-gooders say we can't do that. Madness that this stuff goes unchallenged

If I were in power, I would introduce a law that any overt public support for the Russian genocide in Ukraine is subject to having their Irish Passport revoked and/or deportation from the country.

That would shut them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I think we need to knock the naivety on the head from here on in with these events.

Russian embassy linked (diaspora organisation that's Kremlin linked and coordinates with the embassy), the promo material was all in Russian. People from former USSR countries want nothing to do with V Day any more (except for loudmouth Russian ethnics from those countries). It's Russian nationalism day now. Known brazen endorsers of the war were present and front-and-centre.

In another thread we were told all of the above wouldn't happen / wasn't true. That it's a sombre commemoration of the war dead, not a Russian ultra-nationalist pissup. Lo and behold...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Ah, I don't think you can speak on what people from former USSR want in regards to V-day. Russians here can't be tarred with the pro war brush it's not fair, some of those in attendance may be there to only celebrate vday and meet up with others from a similar background. Of course there are those who are pro war or pro Putin but what can we do with them ? Unless we declare Russia a terrorist organisation and therefore illegal to voice support for it. We have to be inclusive of other viewpoints and cultures after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

We absolutely can tar the attendees with the same brush. Both last year and this year, we were all given assurances by both the organisers (to the Irish media) and sly Putin flunkies that this was not a pro-war demonstration and that symbols such as the Z would not be permitted. Family day blah blah.

Lo and behold, prominent fascists from social media calling Ukrainians ethnic slurs were there, people wearing 'Z' regalia unchallenged were there, sprinkled with some Irish social media doses who think the same.

It's a Russian ultra nationalist sh*tbag event, just as was predicted by myself and other posters.

"Inclusivity" can go f*ck itself in this instance. They are pushing the limits of what the Irish state and people will tolerate. I'd be all for the Minister for Justice cancelling some visas off the back of this.

And have a chat with some non Russian ethnic people from former USSR states, none of them want any truck with gopnik parades like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭rolling boh

There is no way Naas racecourse Should have facilitated this event .They must have been fast asleep if they didn't cop what was going to be displayed at this event shame on them .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

What did you expect them to do? Follow the Ruskies around and see what they are up to? It's a race course after all, not the UN. Stuff like this is a great test of liberty, as it shows us how few actually believe in it when it comes down to it.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭rolling boh

As far as I am concerned people showing support for Putin's invasion of Ukraine are not welcome let them go back home if they feel Russia is so great .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,440 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Good thing it’s not up to you. Sounds unconstitutional. Even if you were “in power” you wouldn’t have “the power” to do that, the tyranny to do that is shielded from the people by the constitution. And it’s their power required to change the document.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Action taken and Naas Racecourse losing business as a result. That's what businesses understand - hit them in their pockets - hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

“Nass race course was inadvertently drawn into highly sensitive geopolitical events and for that I would like to apologise to anyone who was offended by it.”

total and utter tosh- the Russians advertised this gathering- it was widely publicised as happening - Naas race course should have anticipated this and cancelled it - a total daw could have predicted this happening -

Leave Naas racecourse to the Nazis - a totally predictable event that shouldn’t have gone ahead- donate the money made to displaced Ukrainians

Well Naas racecourse could simply have cancelled the event due to “unforeseen circumstances”- you don’t need the constitution to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭SeanW

I think they should be treated the same way as anyone else who openly (or covertly for that matter) supports genocide. Because that's what Russia is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,440 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Their prerogative, and up for others to prove yes unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Question for Naas Racecourse management.

What group made the booking ?

We have laws in this country around incitement of hatred- unfortunately how it’s implemented its more likely you that will be prosecuted, than them.

Couldn’t possibly be seen to erode the rights of murdering bastards

Their quoted excuse in the newspaper article quoted in the OP is a pathetic PR attempt to garner favour from the locals and consumers of that race course- it has failed miserably- I don’t need a court ruling to have view, thanks.

• Advertisement

Likey this Auto club they advertise themselves as but the club was supposedly set up by the embassy here

Thanks for that.

Assuming that anyone can't rock up and book a racecourse you'd wonder what due diligence they did.

Especially bearing in mind that the racecourse has been a beneficiary of government grants.

I thought we were done with this sh1t in Ireland but obviously not- people displaying Z flags should be arrested for incitement to hatred - simple.

No law abiding citizen in Ireland wants this sh1t on their doorstep - while I don’t believe mass showing of Russian flags is illegal it is inappropriate but that’s my tough, but it’s not that - it’s the Z flag that I protest strongly against- same one this prick placed on his jeep

Exactly,but these guys are regularly seen driving off road vehicle around the curragh plains too ,and nothing is said to then .

I get the feeling they booked in under a car show, just happened that drift games live was taken place at mondello race track too

Just like the swastika isn't a hate symbol to some,he's a muppet and he hasn't even got the conviction to stand by it oh it's latin ,it's for Zorro

I saw their announcements around this “meet” a few weeks ago, as I think you might have done too (might have been in the Ukraine thread or maybe a link to a Twitter post -can’t remember ) - they told people to assemble somewhere and then they’d get directions as to where they were heading to. Obviously this was the place - I do wonder did the non Russian contingent who did not subscribe to this demonstration leave naas race course ? Or was it a total Russia-fest from the start ?

I think it was a Russiafest from day one ,

This all started after the original invasion of Ukraine nine or ten years ago,

If they are breaking laws on the Curragh they should be subject to enforcement like everyone else.

I never saw a car show like what was shown in pictures of this event.

• Advertisement

It's not something that was done historically here celebrating Russia winning WW2 , which they didn't and never mention their involvement with Nazi Germany at the time,

I know the embassy used to hold and event to mark may ninth,but this victory parade car show is relatively recent

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement