Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Neely killed by chokehold on subway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Ok as I said this thread is attracting some very strange posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Notice how the justification has watered down from "violence" (he threw his own jacket on the ground) down to now being annoying has you dead to rights on the luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

If I was on a train and saw someone act irrationally but not harming anyone I would assume they might have some personal problems and hope they can get the help they need.

My first line of thought would not be hopefully there would be someone else in the carriage maybe even an ex marine that can strangle them to death.

It wouldn't be unfair to speculate the marine had a misfired savior complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

People are of course allowed to have their own opinions. People are also allowed to point out when those opinions are stupid or incorrect. Which is after all, just another opinion.

The post quoted claimed that people with training are not capable of using just enough force. That’s is simply incorrect, and not how people are trained.

The comparison with “why didn’t he shoot him in the leg” holds no water. Shooting in the leg doesn’t work as a)people often die anyway, slowly, and b) it doesn’t stop people doing what they’re about to do.

When somebody uses a gun to take somebody down, they only do so when killing them is necessary, as it’s the likely outcome. They are intending to kill.

If people are trying to draw a parallel with the marine, they’re saying he intentionally killed this guy. I doubt that’s the case.

Post edited by Mellor on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I assume you are not schizophrenic though?

Either way "annoying random strangers" shouldn't lead to a punishment beating or strangulation on the Luas or anywhere else in a functioning society.

Again many people would think that would be obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Not nice is when people return the serve with identity politics. You set the rules by your OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Someone should have jumped in and jumped on army boy, seems that he was the most dangerous person on the train at the time?

If I personally verified it wouldn’t be speculative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

You mean the people in the video (the full video that is) that clapped as the guy that put the chap in the recovery position after subduing the psychotic loon?

Not everybody wants live in the hellscape that people like yourself insist upon, where your daily comute is an obstacle course of thieves, anti-social behaviour, roaring drunks and casual threats. In fact most people don't want to have to face that on a daily basis on their daily commute. It's sad the guy died but nobody on that train will miss him.

Clapping as he put him in the recovery position surely they’re clapping in relief that he was no longer choking him?

we clap when the plane lands too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

No, they weren't, only in your delusions is that the case. They were just glad somebody stepped in to subdue a psychotic loon that you imagine everybody needs to tollerate. They don't, they shouldn't have to and the insistance of people like yourself that for some reason they should, is turning every public space into a hellscape. People are tired of it and tired of your attitude that they need to live in constant fear of assault and in constant fear of prosecution if they refuse to tolerate anit-social behaviour. The criminals had free reign to behave however they feel like and it's time to call a halt to that madness.

Only in your delusions is that the case. (Am I doing this right)

They were just glad somebody stepped in to subdue a psychotic loon

prove it?

Yip, they would much prefer to witness a homicide on their commute. 👍️

Sounds like a murder charge. And battery:

“There were maybe twenty-some people outside the train car. I was looking in the window, and I was, like, ‘Something is **** wrong.’ Because I was looking at him, and he was staring off into space. His eyes were dead. He wasn’t not moving. But the thing is, these guys that choked him the **** out were saying that he was still breathing, that he still had a pulse. They were acting in such a way that no one else could come next to him. I told them to put him on his side. I didn’t believe that he was dead. I’d never seen a dead body before. I didn’t want him choking on his own spit or vomit. I had my water bottle in my hand. I wanted to try to check him out. But I was intimidated by these people. I didn’t know anybody. I wasn’t not trying to get stabbed. I tried to move in. I poured a little water on his forehead. And Daniel Penny came over and told me to stop. He shuffled me off.

“Just as my train was arriving, the police showed up. I told them to do CPR on him. Then I left. But, like I said, I didn’t think he was dead, because they were saying he was breathing. It’s upsetting as ****. It’s ruining my life right now. We got to bang out right now, bang out the truth. It’s shameful. There’s no getting around it. I won’t feel better until they **** arrest this guy for murdering him. And I’m not about all that police **** and people going to prison. The only reason they’re letting him off is the race of the people involved. If that was a white woman he choked to death, he’d be in a cell right now. So what does that mean? That a Black man’s life is worth less than a white woman’s life. That’s what that means. That’s why I went to the police over this **** ****. And I would never do that.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

That's not how I viewed it, seemed to me relief the guy was stopped and the encounter was "over" I'm assuming no one there was aware the man would die as a result. But unless they question the clapper(s) who knows really

No clapping mentioned in the above eyewitness account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The arrogance to think that your judgement is better than those who were there and saw all the context is astonishing, yet I suppose you can't expect anything else from the know it alls of boards.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

The arrogance to think that your judgement is better than those who were there and saw all the context is astonishing

The people who were there have called it murder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Hackery as usual:

At first, we didn’t notice that the train stopped, because we were deep in conversation. We were talking about something, not paying attention to where we were at. Then we heard an announcement—the conductor saying for N.Y.P.D. to come to one of the cars. I looked up at that point and noticed that we were at Broadway-Lafayette. I said, ‘Oh, we got to transfer anyway. Let’s get off and go check out what’s going on over there.

They saw the end, not the the cause.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

What proof is there that it was murder? Nobody even charged yet, let alone convicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭SeanW

"Murder" generally implies intent to kill - which AFAIK you have not established. As to this case, it may well have been that the insane ramblings of the alleged victim were serious enough (e.g. threats of violence) to warrant a physical intervention. We don't know. I also do not know for sure if the marine involved were the only person involved in restraining Mr. Neely, some sources say that 2 other men helped him but the mainstream sources don't seem to be clear on that.

Thanks for the interjection however it does nothing to answer the question which is not conditioned on the facts in this case per se.

You're missing the mark, already established that the eye witness believes it was murder. The argument now is 'well how much more should the eye witness have witnessed for them to not think it was an unjustified killing.'

So I'm asking how that would go down, I say 'hey that's murder' you say 'no it's not because he might have shouted hang mike pence?' or what sequence of actions could have occured that meant it was not a murder.

“There were maybe twenty-some people outside the train car. I was looking in the window, and I was, like, ‘Something is **** wrong.’ Because I was looking at him, and he was staring off into space. His eyes were dead. He wasn’t not moving. But the thing is, these guys that choked him the **** out were saying that he was still breathing, that he still had a pulse. They were acting in such a way that no one else could come next to him. I told them to put him on his side. I didn’t believe that he was dead. I’d never seen a dead body before. I didn’t want him choking on his own spit or vomit. I had my water bottle in my hand. I wanted to try to check him out. But I was intimidated by these people. I didn’t know anybody. I wasn’t not trying to get stabbed. I tried to move in. I poured a little water on his forehead. And Daniel Penny came over and told me to stop. He shuffled me off.

What happened in the car previously, that the eye witness didn't see, which lawfully or morally justified the killer physically stopping people from rendering aid to the victim of the homicide?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

To answer your question, murder is never justified. Killing someone, depending on the circumstances, may be justified and as such may not be deemed murder in those cases.

And okay, so for this killing, which the coroner ruled a homicide, which an eye witness described as murder based in part on the killer blocking them from rendering first aid etc. what circumstance would you speculate that him blocking first aid etc. to the deceased (victim, homicide) was a reasonable part of his good samaritan actions?

“I had resolved by that point to try and see if he’s okay. I poured a little water on his head and Daniel Penny came over and said ‘Stop’ to me,” Grima said. “I feel bad I let him stop me.”

"I don't care if I die. I don't care if I go to jail. I don't have any food ... I'm done," Neely said, according to a witness.

I don't know what else was said but according to the reporting from the OP earlier on, no reports he directed any threats at anyone, leaving very much open that this was a cry for help, not a violent or threatening altercation. That leads me to question whether it was any threat at all, or simply passenger paranoia, that instigated the chokehold. Nobody has been quick to come out with claims of direct violence, the only claim approaching that was him throwing his own jacket on the floor of the train, causing his jacket zipper to clang on the floor.

Without further evidence right wing media is already in a frenzy ratcheting up stereotypes against strangers and the homeless on mass transit. Stereotypes which already existed, that the homeless were dangerous and violent etc. and which the marine would have been exposed to regularly serving on any US military base, where Fox News is usually defacto what's on in the hall. And NC where he served is a red state. Neely's own rap sheet in hindsight to the incident, doesn't dispel this stereotype either. But yet there is no evidence yet that really supports any charge that Neely had committed any offence so violent or threatening that it's what instigated the chokehold?

Penny has not spoken publicly about it, his lawyers have claimed self defense but don't state the trigger.

"When Mr. Neely began aggressively threatening Daniel Penny and the other passengers, Daniel, with the help of others, acted to protect themselves, until help arrived," lawyers for Penny said in a statement Friday evening. "Daniel never intended to harm Mr. Neely and could not have foreseen his untimely death."

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Not everybody wants to live in the hellscape that people like you want, where someone can arbitrarily decide to restrain another and kill them.

I think I'd rather a raving lunatic than a vigilante who has just killed someone.

This ain't Mad Max yunno.

• Advertisement

Self defence has to be proportional to the threat level.

He never threatened anyone according to witnesses.

As Jordan Neely was killed and Penny was the initial physical aggressor, from my reading of it there is no allowable self defence under New York law.

New York is a Duty to Retreat state, sneaking up behind someone who is unarmed and not expressly threatening anyone is not self defence.

Advertisement