Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Road 96 is amazing, raging I didn't start sooner. Life is strange vibes but each trip is unique.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

*15 minute experimental prog rock track

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

It's oh so good. I think everyone should give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I was surprised how short my first trip was, and then surprised again how the 2nd trip started, very clever and I instantly thought why aren't more people talking about this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The last time I played it was ten months ago, but since you started playing it, I might do another play through myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

You'll be shocked to discover Nintendo have made the console sing.

I'm so torn right now. I've Just started another play through of BotW as I had never finished it. I thought I'd finish it once and for all and pick up TotK later, I mean what's the rush right?

Now all I want to do is ditch it and play TotK instead. I really should have planned this better.

20fps in villages and busy scenes is bad though. The fact it can be overlooked is testament to how good the game is I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'd say kids are going to lap up the creation aspects of this, a la Minecraft. And cause they've loads of time, the little feckers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So the sequel to one of my favourite and criminally underappreciated games, Fuga Melodies of Steel, comes out.... today.

Great timing there lads. Even I won't be getting around to playing it for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I told myself I'd finish god of war and hogwarts before buying the new Zelda.

Not going to happen.

I'm awful for not finishing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

F**k sake. Just went to boot up The Witcher 3 and a massive 12GB update. I live in the sticks with really bad internet so screwed. What the hell would this update even be for most people have played the game years ago. I suppose there was a weird bug I came across where Roach runs on two front legs if running down a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Bought a Switch OLED, Zelda BOTW and Mario Odyssey, and a Pro controller.

Did to the first shrine thing in BOTW. So far, I can already tell that it is a video game. Probably too early to tell how good of one it is yet though.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

BOTW was the first ever Zelda I played and I was totally overwhelmed, to the point where I couldn't enjoy the game. I thought I was doing something wrong, because I didn't understand that the entire game is essentially one big puzzle and you get practically no pointers as to what to do.

Then I played a few other Zelda's and I understood this is what Zelda games are.

So I am hoping that TOTK will be a better experience for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I have a feeling I might be popping into CEX in about 6 months to try claw some of the money back...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

They recently upgraded the graphics, ray tracing and all that. It was a pretty fair update, in fairness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tears of the Kingdom is really something special. Only played through the (massive) opening area but kind of thrilling to see such wild systemic and physics ideas going on in an open-world of this scale. So many cool flourishes and moments of spectacle & scale that really remind you what makes this medium worthwhile!

Yup, you forget with all the games that act like movies and try to ape real life that games are a distinct art form. Are Nintendo moving physics forward in games here, in they way they did with 3D in Super Mario 64 ?

If anyone is playing this on an OLED TV with game optimizers on ... I had to switch to a regular mode as it was much smoother. Not sure if it's me or the TV, but it's definitely smoother.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Let's call a spade a spade: IMO a lot of AAA gaming creative directors are wannabe filmmakers who either can't or won't take a stab in the movie industry. It's reductive but I see the likes of Neil Druckman directing episodes of the Last of Walking Dead Us, and think the higher echelons of AAA games are more concerned about the "cinematic" than gameplay. Or trying to push what makes Gaming such a unique medium in the first place, into new and interesting corners of storytelling.

• Advertisement

On the other hand you have people saying that story is the most important thing in a game so the market chases that.

Regular mode has Trumotion, it's a disgusting feature to TV and movies as it fakes 60 FPS and makes them look like australian soap operas. It might be helping to fake a 60 FPS framerate here but it will also be adding a tonne of input lag.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's not even a wrong approach, but you have to look at Indie games for ways that "storytelling" is taken in new and interesting avenues; AAA games seem more obsessed with aping cinema, but with interstitials where you pressed buttons for some generic combat sections. Or the Baby's First Gaming Puzzle (with helpful audio prompts after 10 seconds)

Now obviously, this is not necessarily an unsuccessful approach: The Last Of Us didn't get a TV adaptation because it didn't sell millions of copies; but without seeming like a Nintendo fanboy, they're IMO one of the few remaining AAA publishers who understand Gameplay has to drive the bus here, and its studios aren't filled with armchair Scorceses pining for that chance to work in Hollywood.

Hmmm. I can't say I notice input lag. Will play around with the various settings in the different modes. But the default game optimizer mode is not nice for me. Maybe I need to tweak that. Will also try an LCD IPS monitor I've used before. Think I need a 30 FPS sweet spot on OLED TV. 😁

Such a beautiful game I'm getting that pang of happiness you rarely get in games today. Even the water has such a satisfying splash and the birds chirping sound like they are outside my window.

For most games I am just rushing to the next cut scene, until I get about 3/4 the way through and then I'm rushing to finish the game. But this game I want to take my time and play.

Now there is one gripe I do have and it is the 30fps which gives me headaches on prolonged sessions. But you can't expect any better with the hardware. All I am saying is this game deserves 60fps.

Play whatever feels best to you honestly. I don't really see the benefit of fake 60 FPS unless input is improved but again, its not like you are playing a twitch Platinum game where you will notice the lag. Trumotion I've a big thing against as it makes TV and Movies look god awful and it's on by default. I turn it off and all it's ilk when I'm over in someone's house and it's turned on. It's probably not as big an issue with games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Whatever about games (which IMO should definitely be played in game mode), if you're watching films on an OLED with anything other than filmmaker mode turned on, then just return the TV as you're wasting it 😅

The problem is it takes time to adjust when you are using one of the more bright, glarish settings with heavy post processing for your regular TV viewing.

I had the same issue with hdr on my monitor. I was so used to a bright, glaring standard setting that hdr looked dull. Now I have hdr on all the time, even for regular windows work and now I'm used to it I finally get what hdr is all about. It's more of a soft matte setting with pops of bright colour (similar to neon but softer).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

All I am saying is this game deserves 60fps

It deserves a non-exclusive release. We deserve to have the market regulators look at this scummy practice of platform exclusivity - the game making businesses needs to be separated from the platform making businesses.

• Advertisement

Does anyone else find the confirmation sound annoying in Zelda? It sounds like that annoying Windows sound when you have a confirmation dialog open and you try to click on something else. Ding-ding-ding helloooo close the dialog first you dope. I wonder if there is a way to turn it off or change it....

Advertisement