Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022-23 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The replay doesn't really show Bastoni shoulder charging Krunic before it all started. Both of them at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Golden Miller, what did you think?

Milan done a Napoli?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Milans gameplan to keep it tight and grind it down, went out the window early on, as can happen if a goal squeezes through unfortunately. The result was they looked vulnerable and chaotic, and never really settled. Thing is though, Inter didn't put them to the sword, and the tie is still very much alive.

On a positive note, Leao will be back for the second leg and Milan won't be that bad again, they'll be able to regroup and go again. I'd still be very confident Milan can overturn these runts. They'll rue not killing this tie off yet!

Fair play that you are still optimistic after that showing. Game should have been over by halftime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Milan were awful. I can’t see them turning the tie around, if they do it will take an Inter capitulation and they’ll be thrashed in the final by Real or City. How they got this far is a mystery. They didn’t get a shot on target.

Inter to be fair have a bit of attacking prowess about them. They should have put themselves out of sight. There was only one team in it. An amazing take from that game even if you’re a Milan “fan”.

Both teams can be as bad as they are good at times. Both have beaten each other convincingly over the past two years, only to have the roles reversed in the next game.

I wouldn't take too much from tonight's game, in the sense that that's what to expect again from either team in the next game.

Milan score first in the next game and I'd still fancy them to do the business. We'll have to wait and see I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hard to see either of tonight's teams having much of a shout against the winner of the other tie unfortunately.

I think if anything, it looks like Inter might have the best chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

All the games are there on TV to watch so no mystery at all really.

They win by being solid and hard working usually winning low scoring games but they are also young and inexperienced so prone to losing the head when things are not going their way. They were also missing by far their biggest attacking threat which would have made Inter think twice about pushing forward.

The other big factor is all the usual top teams this year have been poor. 75% of EPL teams along with Barca were absolutely useless and Bayern and PSG are having bad seasons.

• Advertisement

It shouldn’t be enough in the year 2023 with all the development in football that being solid and hard working gets you this far in the top tournament. To be fair in the past a team could go all the way in a tournament playing like that but if Milan do get through in the second leg they will be destroyed by City or Real Madrid.

Ajax done the same a few years ago with a weaker team than this. The Spurs side that beat them were not amazing either.

Their foundation is to be hard working and good defensively but they do also have Giroud and Theo who were just in a World Cup final, Maignan who is one of the best keepers in the world, Bennacer who is a very good player and Tonali who I honestly think is one of the most underrated midfielders in the game. And of course Leao who is a real game changer.

Obviously they also got lucky with the draw and with so many big teams having sht years.

Who this season can honestly hold their hand up and say they are more deserving of the spot than Milan ?

They're solid and hard working with a blend of quality too. Look at Italy in the Euros? Why shouldn't a hard working, well organised and talented side do well? Your also heavily judging them off one performance by the sound of it?

They had a poor start and their game plan went out the window. They took time to settle in one game, and that equates to them being rubbish? People are quick to forget, as poor as they were, they had a one on one and hit the post. They should have in fact scored.

You put a lot of fate in City, a team yet to prove they can overcome the blanket defence, who if they proceed, will meet a team employing the ten man blanket defence. And in Milans case, you ask what their strengths are, their biggest strength is burning better teams on the break with the pace of Leao and Diaz. Milan would actually fare better against a better side, rather than a 50/50 affair against a side similar enough to them

I wouldn’t compare them with the Italy team that won the Euros or with the great AC Milan teams of the recent past. They don’t have that quality. They were just trying to play catenaccio and thankfully conceded twice so at least they’ll have to try to play the next day. They’re an horrendous team.

They have no chance in the final if they somehow get there. It’s a travesty they’ve got this far. City bought Haaland precisely to beat teams that employ the blanket defence. They or the street wise Real with the players they have will win it.

Inter to be fair have a bit about them. Hopefully they’ll put them out.

That Ajax team played good football and deserved to get to the final. Got mugged by Spurs in the last minute when the away goal rule was still in place. One of the best decisions in recent years was to get rid of that rule.

And yet they've still to prove they can beat the blanket defence. I'd be surprised if Madrid don't snuff them out. And I think playing City would suit Milan, just as playing Napoli did

And I'd be surprised if Milan don't score first in the next game which would change the tie completely

• Advertisement

I think Man City have beaten loads of teams that set up with blanket defences against them this season alone. City or Real would thrash this Milan side. It wouldn’t even be close but hopefully it’ll be Inter that gets there.

Remember you were the guy that told us Inter would never beat Milan in a CL semi final because of the way they were formed as a breakaway club over 100 years ago. They’re in a fairly strong position at half time in a tie in which they were psychologically beat before it started. LOL.

Why is it a travesty ?

Did they somehow cheat against the financially superior Spurs or against Italian champions Napoli ?

Which team this season is more deserving ?

How many games are you basing this on exactly. Would you watch Milan a lot ?

Would have preferred to see Napoli in the final when the two best teams left in the competition were drawn against each other in the other semi final. Napoli have played some brilliant football this season but tired in recent weeks as they got over the line and won their first scudetto since Maradona was there. Them in a final would have potentially made for much better viewing v Real or City than this AC Milan. Hopefully Inter will spare us that.

It’ll be over Tuesday evening, whoever wins that tie will win it out.

• Advertisement

Well Napoli lost to Milan fair and square. So there is no "travesty"

Personally I would love if Munich had beat City so that means City don't deserve to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

I'm not sure what big developments you're imagining, but the fundamentals of the game have not changed to my eyes in the last 10-15 years.

Being well organised and tactically sound, good on the counter attack, patient and not giving away cheap goals, keeping your nerve in high stress moments and having that big game mentality... these are all still the corner stones of doing well at the business end of the CL. Just like they always were. It's usually not the most flashy or exciting attacking team that does well at this level.

But many football fans are idealists at heart, and see the game like some sort of fantasy football scenario - you accumulate the most gifted players, play the most attractive brand of football, and then all the trophies just fall at your feet. But that's not how it works in the really big games. I could certainly see this Inter Milan team sitting back and doing a job on either Man City or Real in the final. More so Man city, because Real have that bit more tactical nous at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Your predictions for this tie, and your rationale for coming to those conclusions, was all over the place.

You couldn't have gotten it more wrong if you tried tbf... Frankly, your analysis came across like that of a 10 year old AC Milan fan's big take on why his favourite team could never possibly lose. Even at one stage saying there was no real point in even talking about Inter Milan, because they were a "pygmy club" who stood no chance against the mighty AC Milan. It was farcical nonsense!

So forgive me if I don't put any real weight behind your future analysis or predictions going forward. You haven't got a clue as far as I can see.

That's a surprising take. Not many people outside yourself backing the Italians for the trophy 😉

Ha ha. Brón orm I meant the other tie that’s on Wednesday.

As a neutral with the teams left in it, although there are reasons not to like Real Madrid as a club or Man City because of who owns the club, from a purely football perspective I’d prefer to see teams in the business end of the CL that aren’t there to park the bus.

I also think that in recent years with the way football has developed that it has changed especially at very elite level. An organised but anti football type team are less likely to succeed now I reckon. AC Milan in this case have got as far as the semi final and might still make the final. I don’t see them winning it. I think teams like that had a better chance of lifting the big trophies before than they do now, although that could change again because football does have cycles.

With City for example if Haaland doesn’t get you, De Bruyne or Silva will. You have what used to be 100 million quid flair players like Grealish working his socks off and tracking back. He’s a worker bee in that team. Real Madrid are wily and streetwise but in someone like Vinicius, he’s just too good, you’re not going to stop him by parking the bus.

Milan don't park the bus. Being solid and having a good defense is not throwing 10 men in the box playing Joseball.

Milan play with 3 up front, 3 roaming midfielders and 2 wing-backs who are definitely in the team more for their ability to go forward.

They keep games low scoring but it's not parking the bus.

As for being a "neutral" Citizen 🤣🤣🤣

Milan in a final v Man City or Real Madrid would park the bus. It wouldn’t succeed though because the opposition would have too much for them. Real or City are no half arsed Spurs act.

I’m not a Man City fan. I’m not a fan of any City team.

No matter what tactics Milan use they would lose.

How is parking the bus less exciting than going for it and being 3-0 down after 10mins.

And most of all (and I know Milan are no angels) I would much rather see the final won by bus parkers over the supposedly bankrupt Madrid or a club paying managers under the counter with money from fake sponsors along with 98+ other under investigation crimes.

Wanna talk about travesty it's not Milan you should be looking at.

AC Milan? The same club that got relegated for bribery and match fixing and were then run by Berlusconi for nearly 30 years?

• Advertisement

Yes the club that have done wrong and been rightly punished. The team that have also been pulled by FFP because they are not in the new untouchables club like City and Madrid.

I'm sure you will agree it will be great to see City caught and punished when the 100+ allegations go to court.

Nothing new about Real Madrid being untouchable. They seem to be refereed different than everyone else especially at home. If City get caught yes they should be punished. Chelsea must be doing something extremely dodgy. Man United are going to be taken over by another sports washing murderous regime or a Brexiteer that propped up the racist spiv Boris Johnson. If you’re looking for a sport less entangled in scandal and worse then look elsewhere.

No-one is getting thrashed in the final. That's not the way of modern football.

Stuck another 50 on Milan to qualify, 11/1

I wasn't too impressed with Milan tbh. Looked well out of place this deep in the competition. They need to massively improve.

Nah euro. Well 30 really. Might do another 20. Can post it but dunno how

Don't worry people, Milan will eradicate the pigmy problem. Early goal and then turn the screw on them. Inter will wilt under the pressure, once Milan rise to the occasion, Inter break. History doesn't lie.

They missed their chance to kill them off, they'll regret it, and get ground down. Forza Milan

Didn't you back them at 25/1 before the Napoli tie too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

New boards has made that stuff easier, just need to drag and drop an image in, or hit the little 'picture' button.

No 17/1, dropped from 20 the previous night. 50 each way. I'll try and post both

Dunno whether to round the latter up to 50 or 100

I also said if both City win it outright and Inter beat Milan, I'll leave boards

It's only half time, nothing is this straight forward. Milan will get into the game, make no mistake. And when they do, it's a battle of history. Inter always blink first. Don't have the heart to overcome Milan when it's in the melting pot.

2-0 down, and I stand by what I said before the first leg. Milan do a job on them, just like they did Napoli

• Advertisement

They are a pygmy club and they will lose. I'll repost this on Tuesday night

You dismiss them repeatedly, yet know nothing about their current team

Why would you do that. It’s just a game of opinions.

Because I've no doubt, if one scenario comes to pass, both definitely won't. It's not really a gamble at all, when you know it will never come to pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

So what you're saying is you think Inter will beat City in the final if they both progress?

• Advertisement
Advertisement