Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

And the winner of dreamer of the year is... Part 2!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

I have the 2.4 TI saloon, and am semi in the market for a SportWagon 1.7 TBI. If that was an SW I'd be very tempted.

Rarity and Nox / VRT plus Motor Tax really make a difference on these, which is why the 1.7 SW is €10k+ A 2.4 costs €4k in NOx alone these days (imported from the UK). We only got the boggo spec ones here initially, almost all of the high spec (TI trim, 2.4 and 1.7TBI engines) came in the from UK.

Only has 200 horsies out of the factory, but the same engine in other FCA cars is easily doing 240, so a cheap remap gets you +41. Plus its €790 a year tax, rather than €2400 for the 3.2, which is a GM engine rather than an Alfa native one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Wouldnt be as confident on the JDM honda scene, there are a lot of dreamers out there who will be holding onto their future JDM classic at the dreamer prices they think they will get for them. People are holding these cars speculatively thinking they are major assets but people just aren't shelling out big money for them. At the end of the day anything without a TypeR badge was an average car back in the day let alone now. And im biased, i love Hondas and have owned most of the best that were made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭passatman86

"At the end of the day anything without a TypeR badge was an average car back in the day let alone now"

Sorry you are way off there - that's nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Plenty of non type-r cars with fantastic engines that will always go up in value, eg/ek's with Vtec engines, some with b16's, VTi's etc. It's not all about type R's. The s2000 doesn't wear an R badge, or the delsol and a tonne of Hondas that have the siR badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I drove a DC5 Type R recently and was a little disappointed with how it drove. Felt slow and not as sharp as I expected it to be.

• Advertisement

The B16A/B is indeed a fantastic engine, but as a package the eg/ek civics were average cars and were not thought highly of in their time. There is nothing to justify why any of these cars would cost more than 3-4k now. A second hand decent B16A engine can be gotten for under 2k in the UK. People are delusional if they think they are buying an investment if they spend 5 figures on a car like this and think it will appreciate in value. Ive owned over my younger years nearly every variety of fast honda bar the NSX so I'm coming from a position of authority here. The only two ive kept for a decent period was my delsol and DC5.

There is a world of difference unusual and highly desirable jap cars commanding a premium (i get the DC2 as a collectors model for example), stuff like R32/33 skylines, supras, GTOs etc.

"I'm coming from a position of authority here"

You're in a motoring forum. You don't have any authority on anything. Plenty here have owned fast hondas, myself included. I still have a delsol siR and have owned most fast hondas from 1992-2005. If you think buying a b16/18/Kseries and throwing it into an Irish/English honda is the same as having a JDM version, well I don't know what to say.

Who said anything about throwing a b16 into a uk car and that it would make it the same as a JDM version?

You need to take the blinkers off, most of those hondas from that era are very average in the grand scheme of things and barely deserve a backwards glance, let alone spending north of 10k on them. They were never renowned for their handling and theyre not considered fast now either. Ill reiterate, outside of the TypeRs, and only a select few, will ever command a premium long term. The comment about locking them up in a shed is nonsense because all they will do there is gather rust if you are waiting for them to appreciate as an ongoing asset. Theyre just not good cars and wont command that level of desirability.

Of all the jap hondas ive had its only the delsol SiR i would have back and thats because it was my first nippy car as a young fella. My mk2 crx, eg2, dc2, dc5, s2k...no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭flatty

That is the lock the fcuking thread car. 30k and it looks like it's been towed out of the back of a shed for a photo.

Still for sale I see 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭flatty

They won't necessarily"always go up in value" though. I think we are near peak for the bog standard ones. They're a bubble at the moment which will deflate.

Thing about classics, and I've had a few, is that they don't make you much money after you factor in the costs. I had a 500sl I bought for 7.5k and sold for 17.5k as I never really loved it. I still reckon I only broke even on it having driven only 3 or 4 thousand miles in it.

I broke even on a 129, and lost money on a 911.

I currently have an absolutely beautiful XJS 3.6 in midnight blue, which is probably the most reliable car I've ever owned and I'll keep, but whilst they look to be flying up in value, in reality they aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tbh I always felt them one of the more lacklustre of the R's. Wooly steering, turn in was meh and wasn't so easy to rotate. In standard suspension trim anyway. Getting rid of the double wishbone setup of previous cars really didn't help. More liveable with as a daily driver than previous mind you.

As for the mad prices. They're certainly mad in the case in the Irish market. We simply don't have the numbers of people who would both a) be interested and b) would have the cash to buy such cars. At the very bottom of their depreciation curve a few years ago where JDM kit were a few grand here they were selling in the UK market for at least a third more if not double. I know a couple of British lads who came here to buy them, money burning a hole in their hands. Far more buyers in the UK. I've rellies who have long been into classic cars and one in particular when he was selling on always advertised in the UK, simply because he'd get buyers and at the values he considered them worth. Brexit largely put the kibosh on that though.

If I were selling a more fancied JDM car of any brand I'd be actually looking at Japan. They can be daft money over there now and Japanese collectors have been looking and buying them back from overseas. If it's over 25 years old I'd be looking at the US market too. The Irish market is just too small unless you get very lucky. My humble anyway.

That Integra above? It ticks a lot of boxes; Original Irish car, one owner(when most have a couple of dozen), no obvious halfords go faster bits and so long as the rear aches/sills aren't rusted to feck(a given if not protected) it's maybe an 18-20k car in the UK. Here? 12-15k. If you can find a buyer in all markets.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep. Unless you bought a minter at the bottom of a particular model's depreciation curve and it's a model that was or has become "famous" since, barely drove it(so kept costs way down), kept it mint and waited years, or if an older rellie left you something "worthless" way back in the day that are crazy money now, like a Jag E-Type, where even wrecks get a wad of cash, classics are no path to riches that's for sure.

People can get notions about values. They see an 80's 205 Gti, three miles on the clock, new car smell, no farts have ever graced its seats, museum piece at some fancy auction where two lads with more money than sense compensating for a doubt in their trouser dept. bid it to 35k and then assume their 80's 205 daysul that looks like it's been pulled out fo King Kong's footprint is worth 20k, well then...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭hellyeah

Just a comment on the dc2 integra prices. I had one back around 2009. Really nice one in the rarer color black. Had fun back in the day with it, but to have one today as a daily driver no way. At motor way speeds it would just go through your head with no 6th gear. It attracted to much attention from undesirables and if I'm being honest I was glad to be rid of it. From a petrol head I believe they are completely overpriced. They were a great second weekend car at best at the 4/5 k mark which they were back around 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

It's also not worth half of asking. Lad a few doors up from me struggled to get 3.5k for his beams one less than 12 months ago, and he even had logbook!

Also, people calling it a "classic" so what. Same tax as normal and only a small discount on insurance if it's a second vehicle. Big f*****h whoop!

It has nothing going for it - no sslll lip kit, high boot spoiler, alloys, auto, no irish reg,

Even with recent inflation id guess at 3k max in current situation. Some one could track it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Someone on here one time who supposedly knew a lot about them said those BEAMS engine lose power figures a lot over the years. (as in they do not make 200bhp) But he also said the standard 3SGE making 180bhp held their figures as they age. He said there was a lot of disappointed BEAMS owners at those big dyno sessions that used to happen back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Another crazy price Jap Honda...

In fairness he spent money on it and mileage is good but €21.5k.... i don't think so

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-type-r-ep3/33781303

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

I remember so many of them advertised as 220 bhp. No idea where they came up with that number when it is rated at 200 bhp with 100 RON Japanese fuel. Even the black top BEAMS was only rated at 210 bhp with 100 RON fuel.

The only BEAMS red top worth anything is the MR2 if it is the original engine and not a swap. Only 1000 were made.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭CrazyEric

Not sure if this is exactly dreamer material, but the photographer definitely thought it was a fashion shoot. Some nice scenic shots, Sports ground and the obligatory covered in suds "Bikini" shot

https://www.adverts.ie/commercial-vans/caddy-van/30048566

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Every photo is taken at a weird angle, it's making be kinda nauseous 🤢

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Who needs photos up close or showing interior when you can instead see that it got washed at some stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭GavPJ

I do like my older fast Fords but I wouldn't value it anywhere near €30,000.

It is nice but there are a lot more cars out there I would prefer to spend that

money on. After the Mark 1 Focus RS etc. fast Ford's got a bit bland and boring.

Looks like he has a Nova SRi there too. Big premises with not a huge amount

of stock. 26 cars. Looks like a professional outfit all the same.

That Ford puma would cost you somewhere between £2.5 and £3.5k if you were willing to fly over and drive it onto a boat to save circa €25k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭GavPJ

I don't think you could get a genuine Ford Racing Puma for that money.

If you can, let me know and I'll have it!!!

2000 Ford Racing Puma 1.7 16V For Sale (carandclassic.com)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

Advertisement