Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Tweet should read "south west" of Ivanivske. North west is firmly in ukraine controlled territory

India is still helping Russia to avoid sanctions and oil price caps - if they enforced the caps Russia would be forced to sell lower and profit much less.

Instead they are taking advantage of Europe more than Russia by selling us refined russian oil products.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

He would like likely turn off the taps to supplies and cash, others would follow suit being there isn't a infinite supply of weapons and vehicles in Europe, which would bend Zelensky over a barrel ,

While trump blames fraud and corruption and Zelensky for the war

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I genuinely believe that if he's re-elected Trump will be killed before he takes office.

There is technical issues with everything in a war,JDAMs,Himars,artillery,tanks,logistics etc etc,but some happens to be easier to solve and intergrate than other.

I dont think the storm shadows that needs to be programmed before launch by the ground crew,will be any more difficult than a JDAM.

All the pilot needs to do is press the button when at standoff range,but we will see when they come into action

Again there is not an unlimited supply of weapons and Money in the EU,

Unfortunately politics won't play out like a fairly tale

• Advertisement

Let's hope so ,

He's still a dangerous individual with no love for Ukraine

Well, "believe" may be overly optimistic but it seems a very realistic possibility. That said, I really can't see him winning a second term, too many Republicans will stay at home on election day if he's the candidate.

Despite the recent civil court verdict a huge number of republicans still see him as some kind of Messiah,

Others are afraid to speak against him because it could be a career ender

I dunno, Trump's supporters are very loud but I'm not sure they're anywhere near the majority they consider themselves to be. He squeaked in against Clinton through the vagaries of the American electoral system, was soundly beaten by Biden and has done nothing since to attract new support. I believe that quite a lot of the contingent who held their noses and voted for him last time because he was the "Republican" candidate won't do so again. They may not be vocal about it, may well go to the poll and vote for everything else but leave their Presidential ballot unused. Anyway... we're a bit off topic but even if I'm wrong and he does "win" the election, there's a very high chance there's an American (or Ukrainian-American) patriot who'll assassinate him (and who could rule out the CIA doing it in the national interest?).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The Ukrainians already received long range weapons in the form of JDAM-ERs, which actually have a potentially greater range than the 'published' spec for the GLSDBs ukraine hasn't received.

Release a JDAM-ER at 15km in altitude and it's range would be about 180km. If the Mig-29 releasing it first accelerates to mach 1+ at 15km alt, and pulls up before releasing, described as tossing, and it's probably got a range of 200km or more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The Silent Majority are rarely either of those things.

However, it brings an element of risk and uncertainty into the situation when it would be better not to have it.

It might be just psy-ops but Ukrainian officials about three weeks ago said they had another surprise prepared for the Orc navy and that they were biding their time for the most opportune time to reveal it. About the same time there was an announcement that Ukraine were developing a mostly underwater drone with a photo of it:

Whether this is real or psy-ops we likely won't know unless one is actually used; or if the surprise mentioned is actually something different, if it sprung.

That drone looks too small to me, to have much range or explosive potential. It might be a scale model.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭eire4

Yes there is very little chance he would get elected if he even wins the Republican nomination. He lost the last election by about 7 million votes or 5% having last the previous one by about 2 million votes or 2% although on that occasion the US's ridiculous electoral college overturned the democratic vote and elected him.

I know how badly he's fauqed up I said it would happen for years,

But your not grasping reality here , again there in no unlimited Money or weapons to be given to Ukraine indefinitely,and if Europe looks at Russia and sees them no longer a threat,life will go on and back to normality, there's not going to be a huge Nato vs the Warsaw pact arms race this time around,some countries will spend more based off home policies rather than looking at Russia

Fair point but looking at the trend of his election results his results show losses and the scale of those losses getting larger over time. So I see little chance of him actually winning.

Your right there is very little chance he will get elected. I would also just add emphasis that he did not actually beat Clinton. He lost by about 2 million votes. The vagaries as you call them are in reality an undemocratic ridiculous electoral college system that the US uses which on that occasion overturned the wishes of those who voted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

In perspective

All Eyes On Rafah

The majority of Nato countries or the Eu have not increased their military spending,

Why ???

The Eu and Nato countries will move on and won't see Russia as any threat after what they have seen in Ukraine,

Life will eventually move on this is the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Guess the UK are fools sending them so?

Or maybe flying at 15km altitude puts the Mig well within Russian AA range?

From the last time this came up ,

They will fly low level by the seats of their pants towards mountains then then make a steep high G climb, using the terrain to mask their movement at the correct altitude roll into a inverter climb launch the Jdam or Storm shadows, while a rapid decent down the side of the mountain before extending and leaving the area for safer skies ,

There's a few problems involved in that theory

Post edited by Gatling on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Considering US intelligence, I'd guess Russia was never considered a threat on the ground to NATO.

I'm sure there hasn't been much of an increase across the majority of NATO memebers, but considering NATO's substantial spend comes from one source I would say that makes for a moot point.

Where are you getting current NATO spend post-invasion?

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Reports this evening that South Africa have been arming the Russians. Strange one from S.A if true to be aligning themselves with Russia vs the west. Surely it’s not the smartest idea Financially either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭macraignil

"again there in no unlimited Money or weapons to be given to Ukraine indefinitely,"

I don't think anyone is saying that there is unlimited money or weapons going to Ukraine indefinitely. Why would it require unlimited money and weapons going to Ukraine for them to continue to seriously deplete moskovyte forces that have invaded their country? The moskovytes are also in the position that they do not have unlimited money and weapons and much more so than Ukraine when compared with the economic size of the countrues that have committed to contiuing to support Ukraine for as long as it takes for them to deal with their terrorist neighbours.

A quick google search suggests Ukraine has a total of half a million military personnel and making sure they are well equipped to do as much damage as possible to the moskovyte forces facing them is possibly the best route to safety for Europe with the moskovyte terrorists needing to be controlled and the Ukrainians currently being the only ones taking on the job of making Europe safer from them. Why would European countries turn their back on so many people putting their lives on the line to defend Europe from terrorists?

No, the more the merrier and the Storm Shadow has multiple advantages. This is a very welcome development if delivery is timely and not another Abrams of GLSDB publicity exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭wassie

Not strange at all when you look at the recent history of SA. See this article from last November.

The old guard of the ruling African National Congress, who still haunt every crevice of government here, have not forgotten that Russian support was crucial in their 80-year anti-apartheid struggle, finally won in a negotiated settlement in 1994. Many of the ageing elites studied at Russian or Bloc country universities. They may have forgotten the USSR’s egalitarian mantras in their rush to become wealthy, but nostalgia still lingers. The Russians have not been slow to capitalise on it.

From your own article....

While negotiations over the exact language continue, Austin said the pledge would emerge from a meeting of NATO members at their summit in the Lithuanian capital Vilnius in July. NATO members, he said, are “upgrading our defense plans, putting more forces at higher levels of readiness.”

NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg on Wednesday urged the 30 member countries to commit to spending at least 2% of their gross domestic product, or GDP, on defense by a set date. The comments came after Stoltenberg chaired a meeting of NATO defense ministers, where a first high-level discussion on the issue was held.

Nothing has changed 2% of gdp which the majority do not meet and haven't for years,

Previously posted an article from a few months back which showed only 7 out of 28 (prefinland) has increased any defense spending,

Defense spending is not a popular political move in most eu states ,now with a cost of living crisis and high inflations most states will be watching the purse strings over the next 12-18 months at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

That's lovely information, thanks for sharing. Not really relevant though.

I'm wondering if you have actual defence figures for 2022-2023, previously posted articles aren't worth the shite on my shoe. Audited and finalised figures are gold here and until then you're relying on figures shared most likely on a media platform that thrives on traffic. They're sharing shite for flies like you and making money.

On the 7 out of 28 increases, what do the 7 you mention hold as a share of overall NATO membership contributions?

Beverly Hills, California

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement