Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

more than a few disrespectful comments about hurlers on irish examiner podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Some observations by Cork players on their new coach, Donal (Duck) O’Rourke from Melleray (from the Examiner a few days ago).

This Cork management is hardly four months down the road. Long enough, though, for the players to be fully bought in to what O’Rourke is preaching and practicing.

“I’d say 99% had never worked with Donal before this year, but most fellas would say he is one of the best coaches we have ever played under,” Cork captain Sean O’Donoghue told this writer in February.

“His explaining through drills, his explaining of why we are doing certain drills. The variation too. We have been training for three months now and I don’t think we have done the same drill twice.” 

Niall O’Leary hums the same tune. The corner-back is enjoying the thoroughness and yet unpredictability of O’Rourke’s coaching.

“Some of the stuff he's bringing to the team has been brilliant. There are new drills every single night. There's a fierce variety. It's something that fellas really enjoy.” 

Sounds like a better alternative to who we actually got, especially looking at how Cork have performed so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

We're stuck with what we have, for another 2 games anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Another 2 years if you heard him on WLR the other night, he banging on about it being a 3 year project 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Just on this optimism in Cork, after their 2 home games, they are on 3 points and they have played 2 teams that they defeated last year, having hammered Tipperary in Thurles last year and beaten Waterford in Walsh Park.

They now face the All-Ireland champions away who are going to be coming with 3 weeks rest & time to reassess after their 2 poor performance, and then a Clare side who could have 2 wins behind them & will have a partisan crowd supporting them in Ennis.

I don't see any major improvements YET on last year. I do sense a positive camp with a good atmosphere but I will be saving judgement on Cork and their improvements after the Munster championship concludes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Both the Senior Footballers and Hurlers playing the same time on Saturday coming. Tailteann Cup Round 1 away to Down and Clare game in Thurles both 6pm starts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Also did you see the RTE head honcho Declan McBennett name checking us as a team in Munster with ‘nothing to play for’. Tosser

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

He may not be that far off the mark…..? Based on the cork game and how Clare played v limerick and last years debacle in cusack park the likelihood of a real thumping’ is on the cards…..😡😡. But we have to remember this is just year one of a three year ‘davey project’.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cbwfd

Regardless of all that we do have something to play for still. He's way off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

As a Clare man, I think there isn't much difference in quality between the two teams ahead of Saturday.

Waterford may have been flat against a fresher Cork team, but overall I think Waterford's tactics are the issue.

They do some crazy things and don't really seem to have any consistent plan.

Not sure what they even used the league for.

Normally league is crucial for a manager in Year 1. Not so much about the results but to get his ideas and philosophies across to the players.

• Advertisement

Davy still searching for some answers from the last outing ; hope he finds them in the next 2 days. Says he regrets Fergal Horgan retiring ........ hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Wonder what crowd we will bring to Thurles Saturday after that rather pathetic effort against limerick . To be honest not very hopeful , I will be there anyway trying to make up for being severely outnumbered .

Taking shape up in Walsh Park. Like down in PUC Black and White seats

Have a prior engagement and can't attend the game but hoping to see it live somewhere. Yeah hard to see a huge Waterford crowd attend and if like expected we lose exciting the championship then could be a pretty small Waterford crowd up in Thurles for the Tipp game. I'd definitely keep getting a season ticket because it's convenient for getting Championship tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Here we go, last roll of the dice

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Did he not refer to the final round of fixtures when commenting on that? I haven’t checked it back but I thought he did at the time. If so he could well be right.

Yep and on paper very attacking team, let's hope Davy has realised its **** or bust

Both camps out for blood

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cbwfd

Even if it is the last round of fixtures, nobody knows if we'll have anything to play for then or not. Anyway I'm feeling more confident of a reaction the closer we get to the game and have confidence in the team named. Let's leave it all out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Very nice team... Love the half forward line....some serious pace in the middle third.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Heard somewhere that Waterford have played 15 championship matches this year so far, between senior, minor and U20 across both codes. 15 defeats.

Can that be right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,547 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,547 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

on the plus side, due a win surely....

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

Exactly, one of the teams has to break the streak at some stage. Why not tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

You'd wonder whats going on that P Curran isnt getting a start. No injury AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Won't be able to make the game tomorrow unfortunately. Does anyone know pubs that might be showing it in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

its 10 years since the minor win and Patrick was absolutely outstanding. Unfortunately he hasn’t really hit the same heights at senior level

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Very exciting. Can't wait to have a comfy seat in Walsh Park and not have a numb arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

In last year’s National Hurling League Final, Waterford set up with a line of 4/5 players across the field in the midfield area to counter Cork’s attempts to work the ball out from the back. Applying enormous pressure, Waterford forced Cork time and again to play the ball laterally or backwards, thus denying them good go-forward ball. Two weeks ago in Páirc Uí Chaoimh Waterford basically conceded midfield to Cork with predictable results. To me (and many others), this was an unbelievably stupid tactical decision on Davy Fitzgerald’s part.

In last year’s game Cárthach Daly, playing in midfield, was one of Waterford’s top performers and did an excellent marking job on Cork danger man Darragh Fitzgibbon. This year Daly hasn’t got a look-in. Meanwhile, Darragh Lyons, also playing in midfield, was Waterford’s weakest link against Limerick and was also poor (admittedly, like nearly everyone else) against Cork, a game in which Darragh Fitzgibbon did enormous damage. Yet Lyons starts again today.

Last year, Patrick Curran was probably Waterford’s most consistent performer, revelling in a new free-roving role, mainly acting as a link between defence and attack. This year he was replaced in attack by Colin Dunford, whose contribution has been very limited. Curran is again omitted today.

Properly selected, set up and motivated, Waterford have the players to put it up to Clare today, but the evidence so far makes this look like a pipe dream.

100% agree.

A lot of people thought Davy would have a few tricks up his sleeve come championship time but alas, that notion hit the rocks fairly quickly. Will this be the day that Davy comes up with something inventive ; maybe even make some changes to the announced team, e.g. start Leavey, Curran and Patrick Fitzgerald for Lyons, Monty and Aussie (who is not fully fit).

• Advertisement

• Hope Waterford win today and blow Munster wide open. You're well due a win

Advertisement