Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have they hit a cable?

Options
  • 11-05-2023 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi I'm looking for some advice

I have a street light in my garden & yesterday I got a fence put up by a company. Last night I noticed the whole road didn't have any street lighting & I'm wondering have the lads hit a cable? Would it knock out the whole road?

Who would I contact about this? The ESB or SSE who I believe look after street lighting in my area.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You can usually log lighting failures online with your local council's lighting department, but that depends on whether the estate has been taken over by them or not.

Those pillars do look awfully close to that pole in fairness, not sure how they got a good stable base on that without disturbing the foundations for the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Certainly possible.

It is likely that the cabling is looped between streetlights so cable damage when fitting the fence could affect all of the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

i'd have thought the cable would have come direct out to the footpath, rather than anywhere the poles could interfere with.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭redmond08

That's what I thought, SSE came out & had a look at all the lampposts but they still ain't working tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Fitting the fence shouldn't have caused any damage to an underground cable going directly into the lighting column. What digging did they do, if any?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭redmond08

They used a kango hammer either side of the pole, but didn't go down far. SSE said if they did hit the cable, they would have known about. I presume he meant they would of been electrocuted or heard a bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

They certainly were working in very close proximity to the cable. It would seem an incredible coincidence if the lights always worked, and failed as soon as this work was done.

It is only a LV cable suppling the lights - they could have hit it with a Kango without noticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Agreed. You can short a cable and drop a breaker without a shower of sparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Depending on the setup they could have cut the cable when there was no power (photocell or timer elsewhere)and wouldn’t have been any the wiser. I’d say there’s a good chance that’s what happened here. Sse wouldn’t be the people to speak to. Need to find the lighting contractor that was originally involved in the installation. It looks like a new estate so speak to the builder. This is not a simple fix unfortunately so time to look at public liability insurance from the fence company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

are you sure it was SSE? What tests did the workers carry out? Did they check the cables between this pole, and the poles before and after it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'd be back on to the company to ask why its the fence is all askew (judging by the pictures the fence isn't level)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

Water pipe hit as well🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Sounds like maybe they hit it

Used to be a 25amp neozed fuse protecting the street lighting cable when i was wiring them. Fuse would blow if you damaged the cable .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Any update op

Advertisement