Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media silence over Niall Collins story

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭hometruths

The decision to appoint an auctioneer and offer the land for sale on the open market was taken in the meeting of 15th January 2007. That is an irrefutable fact.

From RTE:

Council agrees to put the site on the market

A few weeks later, on 15 January 2007, the issue was raised at Limerick County Council's Bruff electoral area committee meeting.

The meeting minutes of that meeting show councillors were told there had been "a number of enquiries to purchase a parcel of land at Main Street in Patrickswell".

And they were also told the site was three quarters of an acre and had "very limited use as an open space".

As such, it was agreed by the Bruff electoral area committee to place the site "on the open market" and that officials would update "the meeting again for further consideration".

That 15 January 2007 meeting was attended by seven councillors, including Mr Collins.

You are quite correct that only the full council could sign off on the sale once the bidding had been finalised etc, but it was the LEA who agreed to offer it for sale.

The minutes have been released:

An auctioneer was appointed and the land was placed on the open market and advertised for sale within two weeks of this meeting.

Niall Collins attended a meeting in which it was decided that this land would be disposed of on the open market.

Having read the RTE report and seen the minutes of the meeting do you now accept this to be true?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The assumption that younger voters do not vote was destroyed in the last GE. Younger voters have essentially been voting more consistently than older voters because they have grown up clicking on 'like' buttons and voting online. That makes them different from a lot of older voters and the effects are visible in the opinion polls with SF and the SocDems being strongly supported in younger demographics.

Younger voters now have a very good reason for votinng: the Housing Crisis. Motivated voters are far more dangerous to the status quo than voters who vote for the same party because their parents and grandparents voted that way. FFG is losing support in both the younger demographics and the older demographics.

Under Ahern or Haughey, Collins would have been removed. Back then, FF and FG combined were getting 80% of the vote. Now, they struggle to break 40%. In under a generation, FF/FG has lost 50% of its support. Because Ireland uses proportional representation, the effect of losing support means that transfers dry up and without transfers, the non-poll topping TDs don't get reelected. Though Collins is from an FF family, FF has lost its identity. But the more damaging thing for FF, moreso than Collins, Troy etc, is that the electorate itself is changing.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Does anybody really think the timeline RTE published was accurate?

LEA meeting held on the 15th Jan 2007

Full council meeting had to be held subsequently to actually authorise the sale.

Then the land was advertised in the Limerick Leader before January was out?

It just doesn't add up.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I applaud your aspiration about political discourse. People are more concerned with making ends meet. The Collins problem is damaging FFG in the same way that the Troy and English problems damaged it. The whole "my party, right or wrong" attitude is dangerous. The percentage of the electorate that are party supporters/members has always been much smaller than the opinion polls suggest. They had to stop presenting the "core" support percentages due to the rise in the floating/Undecided vote. That floating vote can move and when it moves, it can destroy parties as it did with Labour in 2016. Much of the vote on which FFG depends is a floating vote. If it moves, then FF and FG will be close to being finished as Tier 1 parties with SF being the only Tier 1 party left based on support.

Issues like Collins are dangerous to political parties because they can cause small percentage shifts in support. In the 2002 GE, there was a 5.4% swing against FG. It went from 54 seats to 31, a 42.69% seat loss.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

yes the timeline is accurate.

The LEA had the authority to offer land for sale.

sure at a later date the full council could have pulled rank and refused authority to complete the sale.

But I guess the LEA were confident they would not, so the land was put on the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Sono Topolino

People can believe that what Niall Collins did or failed to do in this case was improper without it being illegal. Elected politicians can respond to public outrage by enacting legislation criminalising similar acts and omissions. However, the current law of the land does not prohibit or even discourage what Niall Collins did in this case. That is all I have been pointing out.

And what do you think that the effect of this drip-feed of revelations about FFG politicians will be on FFG support in a GE?

The current media landscape is a very different one to that under which FFG prospered (Tony O'Reilly/Denis O'Brien being the largest shareholders in IN&M and the De Valera family owning the Irish Press). People get a lot of their news from Social Media and Collins has been a trending hashtag in Ireland on Twitter for some time now.

New legislation cannot generally be retroactively applied but that's not FFG's problem with Collins. It is the perception of gombeenism that would have gone unremarked decades ago that is the problem. That's losing them support. The electorate has changed while the institutionalised FFG politicians in Dail don't seem to have noticed.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So he attended, but isn't noted in the minutes, didn't bring forward or second any motion. Stop the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The local electoral area do not have any such authority.

Only the full Council can approve disposal of land.

The timeline described seems accurate to me and I'm a former Council planner who used to put together these land disposal packages for approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

We had just about established here that the Collins family are, in fact, saints walking amongst us. The Collins clan have been serving the country for 75 years and we can only dare to dream for another 75 years of their selfless service. The story you allude to occurred in a year ending in an odd number and ipso facto is entirely irrelevant ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,083 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Collins has admitted he knew his missus was interested in the land, conflict of interest no?

Given your experience, are you saying that the LEA members did not have the authority to approve the disposal of the land on the open market as per the Item 2 in the minutes below. Or is there a different way to interpret the minutes? i.e what proposal were the members in favour of?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,469 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The LEA had the power to prevent the sale of the land.

They did not have the power to sell the land.

Only the county council had that power, and that meeting you are referring to is not a county council meeting.

The county council recommended the sale of the land. They needed to inform the local area committee, and get their approval, to continue the process.

Who do you think G Naughton is in these minutes, that is putting forward the proposal?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Is anyone else confused about what this line means?

”While the method of disposal was not yet decided it would be by open market and the matter would be brought back to the area meeting again for further consideration. The members were in favour of the proposal”

Is there a hidden meaning to the words “not yet decided” and “proposal” that we are not aware of?

Can anyone see a contribution to the discussion from Niall Collins in those minutes, or should we just take it that his mere presence when his wife had gone to the extreme lengths, of expressing an interest in the property, is evidence of corruption?

I really can’t believe it, I logged in this evening expecting this stupidity to have moved on a little, but no, 6 pages later, the same poster is arguing the same point which has been clarified with the benefit of quotes from the relevant legislation from someone who works in planning. Boards is a weird place sometimes.

Who do you think G Naughton is in these minutes, that is putting forward the proposal?

I think he is an employee of Limerick County Council relaying the information about enquiries received to purchase the land. Who do you think he is?

I know who he is.

So a county council employee brought the proposal to sell the land to the local area committee, and the proposal was accepted by the local area committee, so that the county council could continue the process to sell the land.

Glad we've cleared that up and you now understand the process and the place the local area committee had in it.

Gerry Naughton. An engineer in the housing section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Why not wait for Sipo and the Gardai to complete their investigation as they clearly see something to be investigated even if 90% of the posters on this thread don't and repeat ad nauseum the same incorrect interpretation of the legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Why not wait for Sipo and the Gardai to complete their investigation as they clearly see something to be investigated

No they don't. They had complaints made to them and are looking at them as they are obliged to do. They didn't not instigate anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m going to try this again.

I walk into a Garda station and say, “I’m here to report a crime, kaymin did it”. The Garda then investigate, because that is what they are supposed to do.

What does that say about you kaymin?

The LEA had the power to prevent the sale of the land.

They did not have the power to sell the land.

Only the county council had that power, and that meeting you are referring to is not a county council meeting.

The county council recommended the sale of the land. They needed to inform the local area committee, and get their approval, to continue the process.

Putting it that way doesn't make it sound any better. Quite the opposite.

Not sure when you are claiming the county council first recommend the sale of the land, but it doesn't really matter when.

But it is clear you are saying that in order for the county council to continue this recommended process, approval of Bruff Local Area Committee was required.

And this approval was duly given in the meeting on 15th January 2007 which Collins attended, knowing his wife wished to buy the land.

Collins wife could not have bought the land without the approval of a committee on which her husband sat, and was in favour of the proposal to sell the land.

Whichever way you spin this, it doesn't look good.

Who ever claimed it "looked good"???

FFS all that is being argued is whether Collins did something illegal or not.

Do you still think, after everything which has been explained to you, that he did something illegal?

Yes, I do.

You keep claiming it has been explained to me why he has not.

But the difference between you and I simply comes down to a difference of opinion in the answers to these two questions:

• Did Dr O'Connor plan to build a medical centre, identify a suitable site for the centre, found out who owned it, and then instruct her solicitor to contact the owners expressing an interest in purchasing the site in order to build a medical centre? - YES
    • Do these actions relate "to dealing in or developing land" - YES

And you have not explained why I am wrong to hold the opinion that the answers to both these questions are YES.

But I am OK that we have a difference of opinion on this, I'm not trying to change your mind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It has been explained repeatedly. You are selectively quoting the second phrase.

The question is whether she was "engaged or employed" in a "business or profession that was involved in dealing in or developing land".

Being engaged or employed is a contractual element that simply does not exist here.

While I am happy to engage in discussions on points of law and I do not think you need to quote entire passages, you absolutely have to quote an entire clause if you are going to reference it as quoting a few choice words from it does not reflect its meaning.

I notice your 6-point "YES" argument is now only a 2-point argument now. Progress?

Do these actions relate "to dealing in or developing land

Cherry picking the statute into a sentence fragment isn't a legally substantive interpretation of the statute.

This is ridiculous.

I'll spell it out for you, one question at a time:

Do you consider building a medical centre to be property development?

You can only lead the house to water.....

• Advertisement

Do you consider building a medical centre to be property development?

Damnit Jim, she's a doctor, not a property developer.

Advertisement