Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland's fake tan use problematic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Would bet my life savings she has "she/her" on her linkedin page

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

What a f**king clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Absolute buck wild brother. . off the scale you thought you couldn’t bear bitchiness prior hunker down even dudes are gettin in on it now. Sure I don’t even know what’s in that stuff but bleach and formaldehyde are becoming a bigger problem

• Registered Users Posts: 42 zozimus

This just tells me that if you want to find a problem you will. Nobody owns skin colour or hair type etc. This notion that something that's typical to a 'race' of people can only be said, work or appropriated by them is utter tripe. Being offended is a hobby for some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

Everything that's ever been said,done,written or created can be said to be "problematic" using the increasingly bizarre metrics like in the article above

There's seems to be a bit of a race to the bottom (pun intended) to come up with ever more stupid and more ridiculous "problematic " things.Always seems to be overweight,angry,privileged white kids aswell.

It would be a good thread on boards,give me any word,any topic, any act,anything that's ever happened and we can bring it back to being racist .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That is some jump for creative writing. Next she will be telling us to wear factor 50 so we don't get a tan naturally in case we offend someone.

How did the editor let this crap see the light of day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

I don't like it in general myself, but it's a "fashion" thing and it's a stretch to call it cultural appropriation, which is what she's doing. It's mainly traveler women who wear so much of it that they basically look black.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Racist:no. Ridiculous looking:yes. Most diy plastered-on fake tan looks stupid.

Extra points if paired with 'Angry Birds' eyebrows.

These people want to cause division.

Division is the whole point.

Ignore their claims to promote unity, mutual respect and so forth. That's a front.

Ultimately they seek to inject as much division within society as they can get away with.

The worst part of all is that they're succeeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

It's fairly stupid alright, but the travellers seem to like it, so that blue haired wan better get used to it.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well now golly, you just gave her what she wanted surely.

desperately seeking the attention that she would otherwise desperately struggle to find

And dying hair, that's been part of the punk movement for decades but now we associate it derogatively with 'progressives?'

Nothing in the photograph ie. her look said anything about buzzwords, faith, culture, latinx this or that. But I accept that you and others have adopted that as the stereotype associated with the look now.

Of course these eejits always suffer from a total lack of self awareness and an irony bypass, as she happily witters on about how society tells women what to think and how they should look while telling women what to think and how they should look. Likely silly hair colours, an excess of cake and dungarees.

Those sound like the stereotype naturally though, not a critical analysis of this individuals writing.

This is exactly how there have been taboos on people with tattoos for god only knows how long, for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

It's peak bullsh1t. Surely this has to be the height of it and we're on the way back to normality now. Would make sense if it was in the Ross O'Carroll part of the Magazine as a piss take maybe.

It's bored people with nothing better to do, who after having achieved all their social goals, now find themselves inventing non-existent social problems.

And they tend to be very unattractive and have no sense in fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

*People to avoid:*

Dyed hair blue or Pink with nose rings, especially if over weight.

ANYONE using pronouns!

women who look like men, men who look like women.

People with absolutely no fashion sense who think they look lovely.

The above describes 99% of those I have met who are always offended by something.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ironically pointing out the people you are offended by...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

bet she shaves/waxes herself. no need for it, beyond cutting her head hair

unless:

she's appropriating the affliction of an Alopecia universalis sufferer - in doing so she's mocking representatives from many genders and ethnicities all for the sake of "beauty". Disgusting!!

• Alopecia universalis. In this type, which is rare, there is a complete or nearly complete loss of hair on the scalp, face, and rest of the body.

😒

• Registered Users Posts: 16,711 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It's clearly a serious issue. A few beers in you, and you meet Rihanna in the club. Take her home and rock her world,only to wake up next morning to find herself looking patchier than a Dalmatian and your sheets looking like something Spud had slept in!

Won't the purveyors of St Tropez and all the other tanning muck have some consideration for the mammies left washing the ****, I mean sheets!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

aye, more from the professionally and perpetually offended while simultaneously appropriating Smurf culture themselves https://smurfsfanon.fandom.com/wiki/Hair 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Whatever about orange Irish women, the question should be, why is this person blue?

Channelling her inner smurf?

I just find this piece more than a bit ironic and a little sad.

I am sure there are many other things to get upset over than a few pale girls from a land with no sunshine wanting to look a bit sunkissed and glamorous, even if they miss the mark (no pun intended)?

Soft targets, again no pun intended, these Irish women.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

fake tan makes you exotic, rather than just being a bad impression of a few days in Costa del wherever? right...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Thought this was Waterford whispers for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I actually don't know what's funnier- the article or the reaction on here

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

There would be no reaction without the article, sooooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Homer

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

The smell of that stuff. Makes me puke when im at weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Ridicule bait, you mean.

Or are you taking the line that anyone who reacts to this bluehair at all - even just to laugh or say "wtf?" - has proven themselves be equally 'angry' and 'offended' as she is?

Advertisement