Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

You had to pick from a pre-determined list of artists. Each artist (admittedly I only looked at the first few) had 3-4 songs listed. However, based on recent posts here it must've been the case that some artists had more songs listed.

I doubt they got more than 500 people voting in total

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭EveryoneKnowsNobodyCares

No Johnny Cash (his cover of "Hurt" was always the last song Ed played on a Songs of Praise cover special!)

Funnily, RTE Gold did a (subjective) Top 100 country songs, and Hurt was No 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭EveryoneKnowsNobodyCares

And you could manually add your own choice via a textbox, according to the archived version of the page on the Internet Archive. But I wonder how many people realised that option was there rather than just picking their favourites from whatever was served up to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I don't know why I'm still doing this, I'm just annoying myself now - but here's another 25 or so artists/bands apparently not good enough for the top 500 songs of all time:

The Beach Boys

The Doors

The Kinks

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Them/Van Morrison

Jimi Hendrix

Bob Dylan

Diana Ross

The Bee Gees

Wings/Paul McCartney

The Clash

The Jam

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Black Sabbath

Tears For Fears

Soft Cell

Bronski Beat

Metallica

Counting Crows

Talking Heads

Beck

Smashing Pumpkins

Gorillaz

Pixies

The Pogues ("Fairytale of New York" wins every "Best Christmas song" poll ever, it's the law)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

There's a man in for Louise reading out texts about how you know you're Irish and "whats the most Irish thing ever." I don't know what the context was for looking for those texts but it's such cheap content

Edit: it's Ben Murray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,772 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That type of content is terrible. But sure its easy filler.

I’d much rather someone like Stephen Daly who plays the music and gets on with it than someone who tries to do “content” and that’s the best they can come up with

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I caught Ian Dempsey saying he's off next week, with Ray Foley filling in for him again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Block rocking beats on a Friday night absolute great show. Fair play to all involved! Great tunes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Gwinn

Apologies if this was already asked and answered, but I was listening to RedFM (another station in Bauer Media Ireland's portfolio) and noticed their text keyword for the cash machine is RED instead of WIN for TodayFM. If entrants are "playing across the GoLoud network" and texting the same number, what's the point in having different keywords to enter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

So Bauer know number of people entering from different stations?

Has anyone else noticed the... "persistence"...? of the Today FM app? If I listen in at all using the app on my phone, it'll stay on in the background and as an active app when I swipe down on notifications. Swipe it away, and it'll come back in 2 or 3 seconds. I have to choose 'close all apps' to make it actually go away. I'm wondering is it responsible for battery drain while it's in this state?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Yes! All the time. Have to remember to close all apps so it disappears

Spotify does this too in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭lolie

Whatever about Ray Foley but having to listen to Dara Quilty is a form of torture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I've switched over 4 times the last couple of days for the first time. There is two times a day I'm in my car during daytime radio. Each of the four times, Miley Cyrus' song about buying flowers came on within minutes. OK song at first, but they have it done to death now. Repetitive songs all the time.

Also, Quilty is such a melt. Talk about trying too hard. Other than them two issues, I don't mind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Funny enough I read your post, walked up the stairs and that Miley Cyrus song was on Today FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,772 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That's their form, tbf.

Having said that, they said they got a lot of texts saying how much the Top 500 songs over easter were enjoyed. So here's an idea TodayFM, why not play more songs like that, all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

Paul McLoone on Radio Nova this weekend Saturday and Sunday evening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭RINO87

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭nomoedoe

Surprised to see Block rocking beats has only 38,000 listeners and Claire Becks All Irish on a Sunday at 8am has 50,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭RINO87

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭nomoedoe

This is from their instagram nothing for her Saturday show,

The lan Dempsey Breakfast Show 208,000 listeners

Dermot & Dave 205,000 listeners

Pamela Joyce 136,000 listeners

Ray Foley 163,000 listeners

The Last Word 168,000 listeners

Stephen Daly 170,000 listeners

Louise Cantillon 134,000 listeners

Block Rockin' Beats 38,000 listeners

Weekend Breakfast with Alison Curtis 179,000 listeners

All Irish with Claire Beck 50,000 listeners

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Neg10

I’d say that it’s probably indicative of the age or lifestyle profile of the Today Fm listeners.

They’re mostly 35+ with kids, so bound to be up early on a Sunday, and probably on the sofa instead of enjoying the dance classics that Dec plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,915 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thats shocking figures for Dec Pierce.

Weird the big difference between Daly and Cantillon given its the same slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Neg10

I thought this too, and thought there was spoofing going on, but it seems to be their respective Saturday shows, as opposed to the weeknights

That's gains for all the weekday daytime shows, anyway. Are the figures for Block Rockin Beats for Friday or Saturday nights, does anyone know?

I’m sure I read somewhere it was for Saturdays.

Stephen Daly is doing very well there. I’m surprised Louise has gained 12k as personally I don’t enjoy the way she throws in Irish every time she talks, but I would imagine there’s an audience there for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,150 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Fiona with a Y, edgy. But fair play to her for googling NME and Rolling Stones top 500 songs of all time lists, mashing them together and playing them over Easter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Those brb figures have to be a typo.

Its essential listening for ppl like me who are too old to go clubbing/stuck at home with kids/other life stuff in the way and want to hear the choons from 20 years ago as i clean my bathroom on a friday night

Advertisement