Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you support a new Rural Political Party

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Greengrass53

A rural alliance to serve whose interests? Neanderthals like Fitz Maurice, healy real, mcgrath, etc, eh.... No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

It would never get enough votes, imo.

However, if it could be channeled or marketed ( politics is a business, don't forget it ) at specific rural industries it might have a hope. However within that model you are then challenging ideals?

For example take the meat industry, think of all the stakeholders. Farmers who manage the livestock, Entrepreneurs who buy it, the Labour force who package it, the lorry drivers who transport it, the Co-ops , the retailers and so on. Many different interests are hard to harmonize, particularly in a country like Ireland.

Post edited by blue5000 on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

As such a rabid hater of anything rural, have you given any consideration to who other than these "muckers" and "culchies" is going to provide the food you will require to exist when you have grazed your way through your Eamon Ryan salad window box ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭endainoz

If they're using derogatory terms like that, I wouldn't give then the time of day to be honest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Packrat

Yeah, I was going to reply to point out the abusive terms used or report the post but seeing as the mods here seem to condone farmer and rural bashing there's no point. His or her day will come when they forget they're not online and get a fist in the mouth off someone they deliberately insult.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Same people insulting farmers probably marching for hate speech rights reforms.

Absolutely. But only for the groups they support and like.

It's typical of today's zeitgeist.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Wouldn't Aontú be a good fit for such a party as being talked about here?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mod note; Count Dracula please don't post in this thread again.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

Generally yes, but he comes with some awful dung at times and can't seem to move on from the abortion debate.

It's like a one man party.

Probably the Independents wouldn't join him in fear of losing younger voters over that, and without them any new party won't fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Yes

The green boys living in the city centre are forcing us to do just that

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Yes

The green boys living in the city centre are forcing us to do just that

Most of the rural independents would be promoting the church and general right wing values, whether just as a vote catcher or not I don't know. ie A lot of them voted against the recent anti-hate speech bill in the dáil lately.

The youth, if they vote, will largely go SF anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

FRom looking at Politico`s poll of polls Independents and others are at 12%, up from 10% a year ago. While all of those are not rural T.D.`s a sizeable rump is and just based on those figures it does not look as if they would need to attract new voters to hold their seats.

If some rural T.D.`s were to form a loose coalition based on specific rural issue, I do not see that electorally being detrimental to them in atracting votes. The opposite if anything. If they were going to do so then the smart move would be not to do so until closer to the next general electionm when like everyone else, they publish their manifestos on policies for a new Dail term.

Yes, that would be a traditional vote catcher which they could easily dial back for one or two elections without taking harm, especially if there isnt any pertinent pieces of legislation proposed at that particular time.

We the voters, nor they the Independents aren't all the devout Bible thumpers you seem to think.

I'd imagine that voting against that piece of legislation (hate speech law) wouldn't be a problem for many rural voters as its perceived to be too broad.

Young people tend to vote for the latest populist option making a stir - MHR and indeed Jackie before him have/had hordes of young voters. They're not entirely stupid either though, - and a few well thought out cohesive pieces on the issues of planning, student grants and something on car ownership/licensing would go a long way towards holding off the SF tide - at least in rural Ireland where nobody really trusts them and it's a protest vote against the current shower anyway.

• Advertisement

I don't know what your neck of the woods is like but there aren't many bible thumpers here around, it's more an NI thing. We're as rural as anywhere and the guy marriage and abortion legislation passed easily.

There's still a lot of people wary of the afterlife and fond of tradition alright, and 20% of the vote is enough to to get anyone to the dáil.

I see your worry about designations hitting land values, but I'm not so sure its as big an issue as people make out. SPA hill land near me made 7000/acre (when forestry was making 4-5) a few years back and is being farmed intensively. I've never heard of anyone refused planning either.

As for collatoral for loans, repayment capacity is the main thing there, unless your into megabucks.

But looking at another thread here and the French model where there is much more control and restriction of land use, such a system here would benefit farmers and rural communities, take investors and speculators out of the market, and majorly eliminate the asset depreciation that most fear.

There's is some top class land on peat soil and would easily fetch 20,000 an acre, this regulation would destroy that land value.

People have to look up a map on soil types for Ireland it can be found on the EPA GIS mapping website. You be shocked the amount of land classed as peat soil, were not just talking about mountain hill land here.

This regulation will also have much stricter protection measures than the SPA etc. The protection being placed on these rewet biodiverse areas will be stricter than the Serengetti national park, so doubt their will be planning permissions granted.

All in all this is a disaster for any land owner in these vast areas of the Western seaboard and Midlands of Ireland.

As regards repayment capacity, if you main source of income ie. Farming is taken away from you how can you repay ? With some bullshit carbon farming payment from the EU that's not even index linked to inflation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Basically the policy on one off rural housing is to refuse refuse refuse regardless of how good or bad the application is. Around here only people who have years to stick it out and multiple applications might eventually get it. Have the tee-shirt on this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Unfortunately not according to current planning rules!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

They have shot themselves in the foot already considering all the right wing lunatics they have followed on their socials already. A major red flag right from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Every thing is called extreme right wing nowadays.

As far as FG are concerned most of their membership and voters would be viewed as far right by the leadership, nearly as bad in FF and all farmers would be considered suspect.

Pretty much everything from Kerry to Louth and up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

If you don't support FF FG or the shinner/IRA agendas you are right wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

They should have called it rural alliance and would pick up more votes from rural people who are not associated with farming,

Yeah that's a boo boo alright. More voters depending on the agri economy and multiple more in the rural economy

Oh yeah they're rubbing shoulders with a great bunch of people here 🙄🙄🙄

Folliwing That means nothing.

Lots of farmers included in that suspect list, all farmers are now fascist but none more so for FG and FF than dairy farmers.

For a political party yes it means a lot. It's irrelevant anyway, this crowd will go the same way as renua or the national party, farmers won't stop voting for FFG.

• Advertisement

It's worth mentioning that the farmers all listed in the bad to follow list above have one thing in common, all are active in the IFA. One I know is also active locally in Fg.

We are now at a stage where being active in the IFA is enough to have you listed as far right.

I agree that most farmers will continue to vote FFG but those 2 parties now view rural Ireland as appealing as an std.

The two accounts that stand out like a sore thumb are gript and Ben Gilroy. I don't think I need to explain those

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I suspect your right there - existing right wing parties like Renua etc. have been around for quiet a while and have had FA impact. Also rural Ireland these days is not just made up of conventional farmers with group think on what way farming or rural Ireland should be advanced. The latter I feel is one of the greatest weaknesses within current farming orgs and their current political reps who seem increasingly out of touch with the realities impacting the industry and society at large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Gilroy is the one I would take absolute issue with. He's a clown.

Gript can at times carry the odd story that's not rabble rousing nonsense but doesn't get the mileage it deserves from rte or the indo.

Amazon rainforest woodchips being burned in Irish power stations springs to mind. The Irish times covered it in January then gript and the farmers journal covered it in April and it got a good bit of traction.

I don't think rte or the indo covered it at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

isn't it sai about the tories that the members are to the right of their MPs, who are to the right of their leaders?

anyway, the left wing parties will be cheering this here. another route to split the right wing vote; it used to be that the left wing were experts on splitting along their differences rather than unifying along their common goals, but their opposition is now proving adept at the same thing.

I missed gilroy, I know one of his former candidates, which uhm says it all for them! Gript I know little to nothing about.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

I have no interest in the NP/Farmers Alliance etc good bad or indifferent but read the above article and it makes no connection between Gript (never heard of them till now) and far right facists. Just mentions that they are co owned/founded by someone who was/is involved in anti abortion stuff.

Looking at Gript its a lot of culture wars sh1te,very similar to the site you linked to (has a nice article on "Profit Driven Agriculture,Cruel,Destructive and not Feeding the World

I think the farmer alliance party is not the answer really, it would have been much better if their was a Rural Alliance Party with prominent elected Independents, this route could see a party be really in contention.

Unless prominent Independents join them then I don't think they will be up to much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭buffalobilly

Reading on farmers alliance Facebook page before they blocked me I honestly could not think of anything worse for the country than them. Now I would not be a big fan of some of the other organisations but at least if they’re asked a question they make an attempt to answer. If farmers alliance are asked an awkward question or if a comment made they don’t like your blocked from their page (I know I’m blocked)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Don’t mind saying I’m usually inclined to vote for the centralist parties.

I commend anyone putting themselves out there to try make a positive change they see the need for, it’s not a nice realm to operate in. I wouldn’t consider voting for them until I see manifesto and candidates.

as for do we need another party, ultimately the voters will decide. I doubt the big parties are worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I'm a generation removed from farming but from a rural village background.

Family were always FG and politically active as I once was.

Left FG years ago but did continue to support them as the least worst option. That support has gone during Varadaker's time due to his woke globalist policies.

Would never vote for the SF/IRA though

If a viable Rural and or Farmer's party were to emerge I'd wholeheartedly support it and would be pretty certain that the rest of my extended family would also.

Dozens of votes in each of three different constituencies.

Most of my friends think the same!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Leaving aside the immature use of "woke", how can you (or your friends) possibly wholeheartedly support any political party when you are completely unaware of any of their policies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Loads of people identify as farmers even though their families haven't farmed in generations or never did. My father in law never farmed and never will but he'd vote for a farming party because he likes to act like a farmer and have things farmers have like farm gates in his garden.

In fact I actually think calling it the Farmers Alliance will attract lots of people.

Post edited by John_Rambo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Grueller

Thinking about this point you might be right. Getting the point across to all of the people working in ag related industries will be crucial to their success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Strong support for the farmers alliance will depend on the quality of the canidates,if many of the ifa leadership went as canidates you could see them bringing up the rear of the election count as they are poor at getting any point across.You need articulate canidates at the very least

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

curious as to what people think of the first named candidate - a dairy farmer from cork with a 200 acre farm; probably from the wealthier end of the farming spectrum, from the sector with the highest profitability.

i've heard grumblings (which i don't know are representative or not) that the IFA is unfairly focussed on that particular type of farmer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement