Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you even call this? Funeral procession joyride maybe?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

3 deaths were involved all right, but how on earth a garda could be held responsible for that is beyond me

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

That does not absolve emergency drivers of driving without due care and attention which they can be brought to court for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Think the DPP might have made a mistake and got a rush of blood to the head here. Without knowing the full facts of the incident, you'd want to have a very strong case against the Garda to get a jury to convict in these series events.

The GSOC investigation findings whatever they are may have forced their hand somewhat, but they need to have their head screwed on and act independently all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭mikethecop

you asked about red lights and speeding, thats what this relates to ,

every garda knows , because it is made very clear to them during training and via radio control during any pursuit that the state and management will not support any thing that they do.

unless there is a lot more to this than meets the eye it will be the cause of further resignation and recruitment problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

A few comments on Facebook were "RIP unlke Deano" so a few inbreds still view the dregs as some kind of martyr.

The only good thing those three did in their lives was making themselves extra crispy. Unfortunately I think two of them had already bred so those sprogs probably are already emulating their fantastic fathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If it's a traffic violation not directly related to the deaths of the three guys, then why was it brought up at the coroner's inquest?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,450 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It was brought up because the GSOC officer requested an adjournment. Why he requested the adjournment nobody knows yet, because they haven't released any details whatsoever of the charge.

I never said it was a traffic violation or anything else because I have no way of knowing what it was, you are asking for details nobody has.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I recall hearing from Paul Reynolds saying near the end of his report on the 6.1 news earlier that there are other Gardaí who are awaiting charges from GSOC & the DPP for simply carrying out their duties in the force.

He said that there will be a meeting taking place with the head of GSOC to discuss these matters next week. I wonder what that would entail in the long run.

Trying to go through this news is quite disturbing tbh. Not only is the future career of the Gardaí involved in the chase of the 3 scumbags around Tallaght with it's career potentially becoming ruined with criminal charges in the near future.

There are now Gardaí involved with other cases that are now awaiting a similar fate with charges coming to them from GSOC.

This is honestly f*cking mental stuff altogether. The precedent of this stuff is going to be huge no matter what the wind blows next week. It is going to be some moment to get the popcorn out if things get more hairy if this meeting is in motion by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,208 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Without knowing the charges or evidence it's hard to state anything with certainty. But if the guy overstepped and caused fatalities then he should be charged. Trust in the gardai is the most important thing. So there should be a transparent and public process for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,902 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Mind telling me how he caused them to drive on the wrong side of the dual carriageway with no lights on?

This is the end of any criminals being pursued and they know it!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Without being privy to the facts (radio logs, examinations of both the garda car and crashed vehicles, eyewitness statements, traffic cam/dashcam footage if any exists) it's all just guessing.

Best to wait and see what the actual charge is (mod hat on: thread will need to be closed at that point)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭mobby

I think GSOC have done a great job undermining themselves with out anyones help. A joke of and organisation.

The actual cheek of the GSOC doing their jobs. It really is crazy stuff altogether that they would perform the role that they were created to do.

And bringing criminal charges against people judged to have committed acts worthy of a criminal charge, what is that all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Reminder of the classy funeral

A poster which pays tribute to the burglary talents of one of the three criminals killed in a horror N7 smash has gone viral on social media.

Dean Maguire was one of three men killed on July 7 when their BMW ploughed into a truck on the N7 and burst into flames.

The father-of-two's funeral mass took place at St Mary's Priory church in Tallaght, Dublin yesterday morning.

Before the private mass got underway a number of wreaths, offertory gifts and memorials were placed in the church, a torch and screwdriver, as well as cigarettes, his cap, newspapers, his keys, a Canada Goose jacket and his registration plate.

A poster was also created which featured a collage of images of the departed burglar reading: "RIP Dean. You know the score, get on the floor, don't be funny, give me the money."

I won't say that this Garda being charged with something is wrong or right, there are not enough details yet

I also won't say its wrong or right to charge other Gardai with offences for the same reason

What I will say is they are not above the law, and if they broke it then they should be treated the same as any other member of society.

There are exceptions called out for them in legislation to make it not applicable to them during the course of their duties e.g. seat belts, phone use, parking etc etc etc, but outside of those exceptions they are required to abide by the same laws as you and I

Once you start to apply special treatment outside of those exceptions you go down the route of injustice and corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I think the rule in the UK and probably here is that a guard/constable can't follow a car going the wrong way on a motorway - the scum know this and that is the first thing they will look for as an escape route.

We don't know the charges to be brought against the guard but it could be as simple as them not being qualified to pursue on blues & twos (which is another ludicrous situation in itself)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭Rawr

The funeral is what grabbed my attention and got hooked into following this thread. That video is still up on the Funeral Director's Instagram and rewatched it the other day. Now...I get that everyone mourns in their own way, and even gawking at it like this is in bad taste, but there is something truly bizarre about what that video shows. Feel almost like an antropologist on some kind research trip watching it.

There's such a degree of glorification going on in the video, with slow panning movements and dramatic camera angles. At one point early on you get the mother(?) dancing with some other female relatives as if they were on their way out to a girls night or something. Very strange. Despite getting an elaborate horse-drawn hearse, it is only used to transport a series of increasingly crass floral arrangements to the church. The coffin is instead carried the distance to the church in what I am reading as them trying to emulate an IRA funeral.

Natually, some potentially innocent people are going to be sad about that toe-rag winning gold at the Darwin Awards. But many of them surely knew what he was doing while alive, and chosoe to give him a heroes send-off anyway. Makes me wonder if there is much hope for a community that would knowingly do that.

And possibly the charge could be that the guard was doped to the eyeballs and had a teen prostitute in the back of the car.

I don't know, nobody does, which is why it is ridiculous for people to be whinging and crying about the GSOC bringing a charge without knowing any of the details.

What will all the people crying "disgrace" say if it turns out the guard did do something that was bang out of order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,208 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

No idea. I haven't seen the evidence and neither have you. If he broke rules/procedures/laws, then he should be disciplined.

and it being an end to chasing might not be a bad thing. Well, maybe not the end but a reduction.

In the UK they're changing their policy because it can cause accidents where the police, or suspects or bystanders are hurt. If they don't believe the criminals cause an immediate danger and they are pretty sure they know who they are they let them go because there's safer ways to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

An end to chasing would be a big blow to the Gardai. It's a big part of what makes the job attractive to them. They are mad for an aul chase.

There was a case recently where 20+ garda cars chased a woman up and down the m50. They didn't know who they were chasing, no immediate threat, just mad to get in on the action. This was on a routine Monday evening.

Call them about someone getting a kicking outside a pub, they're not as keen with the "there's no patrol car available" spiel most of us have probably heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wasn't she some onlyfans influencer idiot streaming it?

Shame she didn't emulate the lads in this case.

Yes a complete and utter disgrace, regardless what the charge and the circumstances surrounding it turn out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭amacca

Fair enough

It's just that we've also gone down a parallel route of being exceptionally lenient on complete and utter scumbags

I'd be happy with high standards and consequences for deliberate criminality being levied against any profession etc.....as long as there are not any exceptions for the scumbags too and the consequences they experience are swift and it makes life really uncomfortable for them when the step out of line rather than the here's a lollipop approach we seem to take...

In the absence of that I'd be in favour of letting them rip when it comes to going after scumbags

If people want the high standards then it shouldn't be a free for all for the dregs to do what they like with nothing to lose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

€25K raised so far to support the garda due to be charged

https://extra.ie/2023/05/14/news/irish-news/friends-garda-fatal-n7-chase

It's just that we've also gone down a parallel route of being exceptionally lenient on complete and utter scumbags

I don't see what one has to do with the other, if you wish to equate the two go ahead but I made no comment in that regard.

If the Garda broke the law, then it should be dealt with it accordingly

If anyone else does the same, well the same applies.

It seems like your issue is with sentencing though, which is a different kettle of fish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭amacca

You don't see what one has to do with the other and I think they go together like love and marriage! Or at least I think they should go together but maybe I'm old fashioned.

Yes, if a garda breaks the law it should be dealt dith accordingly....if scumbags break the law they should be dealt with too...I don't see that happening when they are walking around with multiple, multiple convictions for sometimes the exact same types of offences.....what happens to repeat offenders in this country is in most cases a joke imo

And while I take the point one might perhaps separate the two it somehow doesn't feel right when the people who go after the guys that make a living out of robbing peoples homes could potentially be the ones facing consequences IF they make a mistake trying to prevent the criminals commiting the crime meanwhile in many cases the actual criminals get to walk out smiling multiple multiple times......

Perhaps you might even argue the police should be held to a higher standard, fine but as far as I can see most of the criminals aren't held to much if any standards at all unless they get to a certain level where they become too big a problem to ignore or they are so low level they are useful idiots and fill a quota for a revolving door.

Looking from the outside I'd have a hell of lot more sympathy for the police officers in this case and indeed the truck driver...I'd take a very dim view of anyone going after the police officers unless some gross misconduct is discovered given what we do know about the people they were after.

I don't see any justification for the system going after the police if it doesn't go after the actual criminals and apply meaningful consequences in a timely fashion....these are real consequences for that police officer(s).... whereas the bullshit I read about year after year are simply not real consequences for criminals, I think its all aresways tbh

I think what you said above cuts to the heart of the matter..

"If the Garda broke the law, then it should be dealt with it accordingly

If anyone else does the same, well the same applies"

so I suppose my problem is that the same doesn't apply in this country, it hasnt applied for a long time, most of the real consequences seem to be for the morons that toe the line .... not Sir James Scumbag Esq.

What's good for the goose and all.

As I said, it appears your issue is with the sentences handed down,which are at the discretion of the judge hearing the case.

That's a different matter and one which would be a factor regardless of who is up for sentencing.

If I understand your argument you are saying that Gardai should not be prosecuted and sentenced for breaking the law because you don't like how judges sentence others who are not Gardai (feel free to correct me on that, it's just what I am picking up from your posts).

Something like that would appear, to me at least, to give Gardai free reign to break any law they want then. Not sure if that's a smart approach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭chicorytip

What next? Some ambulance or fire brigade driver prosecuted for speeding to the scene of an incident, breaking a red light or two along the way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement