Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Read it about a year ago, funnily enough am halfway through the sequel at the moment too.

Decent reads but nothing spectacular.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Im in the same boat, I have taken three days leave so far this year and been working weekends quite a bit. I need a real break, whatsapp is the bane of my life as we have multiple work gorups. To the point I went to the doc with chest pain. It may be time for a change.

Just checked my own planner and similar, have only taken 3 days off so far this year and have had way too many 55-60 hour weeks in there too. Have started getting migraines again for the first time in years so think thats a sign that the stress is starting to genuinely affect me negatively. We're going through a buyout in the firm at the moment which isnt helping, finance isn't my strongpoint so being involved and fully taking over a company is not helping my stress levels at all.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Sounds like everybody is at tipping point at the minute! Hoping everyone can get a bit of down time in the next few weeks/months! We have our holiday at the end of next month so really looking forward to it...practically counting the days!

We're away in Early July and with the kids confirmation out of the way are, like yourself, counting down the days.

• Advertisement

We have First Communion to get through first & a gazillion other school things!

Stop, we're still struggling to get our heads around the fact our babies are finishing primary school and heading to secondary in a few months. Can't believe how fast those 8 years have gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

I've 5 assignments due in before the 30th. Then I can relax and look forward to the summer hols. I've loads in should be doing right now but my eyelids are falling. Waiting for the rain and thunder and lightning to stop/ease so I can get out for my hour's walk.

I see there's another migration planned by boards on Thursday. Could be in season by the time we all get back here if the last one is anything to go by.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Apparently it’ll only take 24 hours. We may need to start planning for Christmas 2024 now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Happy new year, everyone!! 🥳

(just in case)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Im getting worried now, we both have had 3 days leave (check), migraine (check), going through a buyout/partnership (check), hate the financial aspects (check). Christmas loon (check).

Nice, bright morning here in the wee county! Lovely to see all the bunting going up across the county ahead of the Leinster Final on Sunday! Kids are all excited for Lá Dearg on Friday.

Are ye heading up to Croke Park CL?

I'll be there with 21 lads from our U12's team... loads of fun!!

We are thinking about it...must say it to himself when he comes home...be nice for the kids to experience it

Logged in here yesterday & again this morning & we really are entering tumbleweed season.

Then again with the longer days & summer in the air I suppose Christmas is far from peoples thoughts at the moment.

On a side note, saw a reference on twitter that the GBBO series for 2023 has started recording & should be on our screens in mid September with Tuesday 12th the most likely start date. Always consider that a solid stepping stone to the season so was nice to hear that it was up & running.

Hopefully we get some decent weather over the weekend (less rain anyway) and everyone has a good one (except @CheerLouth, cant be having Louth coming to Dublin & beating the boys in blue 😉)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Excellent news about bake off!

It feels like we're all being crushed by the corporate machine right now.

I was hoping to take a full week off in June because I've only taken on days leave this year but because of work commitments that I can't really hand over I've not got a clear week...then July has a few weddings...so we're already into August! Madness.

Lol! The entire county will be in mourning on Monday morning if we don't win! It's the biggest thing to hit this county in years, the whole place is buzzing! Kids gone off to school dressed in their jerseys, the club players who are on the county team will be at the nursery training session tonight so that all the kids can wish them well...excitement has hit stratospheric levels! An Lú Abú 🔴⚪️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I'm a Dub's fan, through and through, but I love how into it all the other counties get. You just don't get those pre-match levels of excitement in Dublin. Go through any small town, where their county has got to a provincial or All-Ireland final and the main street will be covered in flags.

Up The Dubs!

It takes an All Ireland SF (depending on opponent) or Final before theres any level of excitement in Dublin unfortunately. A decade of huge success has led to high levels of expectation and people just wont come to earlier games in anything like the numbers you'd hope.

The league game v Louth a few weeks back was a perfect example, loads up (oops, down) from Louth and what Dubs were there were mostly season ticket holders or gangs of kids from clubs with mentors. Atmosphere was flat (especially when Dublin started to pull clear)

I much prefer hurling and love bringing the kids to see the Dublin senior hurlers in PArnell park as the atmosphere is much much better, and the expectation levels are a lot lower too!

Still hope we can win Liam once in my lifetime, though in reality I could live to 100 and that wont happen... c'est la vie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Enough now, enough now talking about hurling or is it football what ever it is , lovely sunny day here today feels like summer.

Off topic thread- hurling and football, and all sports are welcome topics, even if you're not a fan. 😁

I live a few minutes walk from Parnell Park @DvB and hardly ever bother going to matches. Whoops!

Amazing day, alright. I've spent most of it sitting out the back in the sun. Fab! ☀️

Ahvwas just a minor tangent as CL has a big day out in croker this weekend.... normal service will resume shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Hard to think of Christmas on what seems to be the first summers day we've had!

Having said that I did have a dream I was in an airport last night and stopped at the Christmas decoration shop. Told me I'd have to wait 20 minutes for the seahorse collection to be brought from there warehouse and it was touch and go if I was going to miss my flight 😂

Loving that even in your dreams, you're dedicated to the cause. 😂😂

What a day, though! ☀️ ☀️

I spent most of the afternoon lounging in the back garden reading my book and eating ice cream. I can be productive tomorrow when the rain inevitably returns! 😄

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Roped in here watching Eurovision. I remember when this was a big tick on the countdown to Christmas. Feels like it’s zipping by this year.

Got the face burnt off me yesterday out at our matches, had no sun cream with me and never expected it to be so sunny and warm, end result = big red face!!

But agree, finally feels like summer has started after so much wet and dreary weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

What with the good weather and the Communions and Confirmations going on it finally does feel like the Summer is getting going. I'm meeting up with a few of my neighbours this week to make plans for our annual street party on the green in front of our houses, it's always a lovely event.

• Advertisement

I got some sunburn on my arms, but luckily I had factor 50 on my face. Can't burn the auld face. 😂

Advertisement