Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Do try it. Despite someone's scepticism above it is the one way of training that would find consensus approval from those with any amount of knowledge. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Sono

Definitely will, been concentrating on being as fast as I can and getting time down which I now know is wrong, if I slow things down I now know I should be able to go further so fingers crossed!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It won't just benefit your running it is also just a nicer way to run. Pushing yourself every run just isn't fun. Doing long runs are great as well. It's nice to pick out some place a good bit away and just running out there and back.

Sound advice, finding time for long runs can be tricky but I’m going to give it a go. Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just a heads up, I found running at a slower pace felt weird and a bit awkward at first. When you're used to going for it every time, dropping back the pace takes some getting used to or at least it did for me.

• Advertisement

Yes you’re right, I ran with a friend a few times in the past few months and the pace was a lot slower than what I was used to, felt like I could have gone all day, it was definitely a weird feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I've never been able to swim well because I've never been able to go slow enough to breathe properly and efficiently. It took me a lot of expensive swimming lessons to learn that basic thing about myself, but I was happy enough because it reinforced what I was doing right with my running. It made me think about why I couldn't go slow enough in the pool - I eventually put it down to some form of drowning anxiety. Having to get to the wall as soon as possible. I've never had a problem understanding the value of slow running (or more exactly, the value of slow running within a proper training regime that balances speed, long, steady, easy, recovery paced runs). But the fact that I can't do it when swimming helps me understand why some runners struggle with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭marathon2022

There's running slow and there's running slow.

An example -If you target for a marathon is 3.30.

You should be able to run close to a 20 minute 5k, a 42ish 10k and a 135-to 1.40 half. This is 4.00 minutes/mile for 5k, 4.16/mile for the 10k, 4.30 half marathon. Even talking environmental conditions and age into account there is no way you should be running slower than 6.30 for easy and recovery. 5.30 to 6.00 would be slow enough. 2c

With advice from here last night I managed a slower run even though I found it quite difficult to do so but I got through it and ran considerably longer so I’m happy with the first time trying a slower run. Thanks all for the tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Might give it a try tomorrow myself, as I have time set aside for a run. Will have to see how I manage to slow myself down, as mentioned I have trouble doing that most of the time.

In fact I think I tend, when I try, not so much to actually slow down but to change my gait in a way that I am just landing awkwardly (either landing too heavy or adding more vertical bounce to my gait) and hampering myself to produce a drop in speed.

So putting in exactly as much effort and energy and so on.... but just in a more inefficient and sometimes painful way in order to produce a drop in speed.

To actually change my gait to slow myself down by actually slowing myself down.... lets see if I can achieve it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Well done. My only tip would be to think of those runs as "easy runs" rather than "slow runs" - it's a small thing but just frames it in a more positive light.

• Subscribers Posts: 689 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

If you think your gait is changing for the worse at a slower pace, you could try running on grass or sand barefoot, just to see how your form adjusts. Running shoes protect your feet, so you won't be as conscious as to how you hit the ground... but running barefoot your form will improve automatically to protect your feet and joints, you should notice your cadence quicken up, also if you heel strike for example, that will stop... then try to replicate this form when running with shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Pace is basically stride length multiplied by cadence.

If you're having difficulty with running form when trying to slow down, have a think about that.

Run for a bit at your normal pace, the pace where you feel your form is good.

Think about the length of your stride, and your cadence, focus on them.

Slowing down is simply reducing one of those two things.

Try to actively do that, again focusing on it.

For me, my stride length stays pretty much the same while my cadence drops. Form stays pretty much the same.

Important to note we're not talking about high intensity fast running here where your form takes on a different shape.

Good shout I’ll remember that going forward. Roll on the next easy one 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lujan

I have started training for the Dublin half marathon and am using the Garmin coach for the training plan.

I have ignored the pacing for my short runs and tried follow it for my long run last week. I found it too slow for my normal pace. I didn't understand the reasoning behind it, and to be honest, never bothered researching it.

After reading the posts yesterday and that reading the linked article I am getting more of an understanding for the reasoning.

Today I went for the coached run and really tried sticking to the pacing, it was still a struggle to slow down, but I found that while.my run took longer, I enjoyed it a little more and didn't really notice the time difference.

Have a long run planned for tomorrow, so that'll be the real test for me.

So, thanks everyone for all of the advice and tips posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

A 4 minute mile for a 5k is 12:30. Do you mean 4 minute km?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

My 5km time would be between 22min-23min most of the time.

I signed up online to a running coach before I joined a club for a 10 mile last year, the variety of the runs in that schedule improved my times; running hill reps, doing 1km x 6 times at a faster pace with recovery time in between all of them, doing long slow runs.

Last year I managed to break 21 mins.

This year, I have broken 20 mins in the 3 of the 5 parkruns that I have completed.

Also, new runners helped as the ones I had would not have had foam which definitely gives a bit of bounce.

New goal is to break 19 mins before I reach the age of 50, possibly a bit too optimistic but good to have something to aim for.

My cadence stays pretty similar but my stride length shortens a lot. I think its why it felt weird slowing down at first because I was running completely differently. If I go really slow, it feels like I'm running on the spot :D

Do you listen to music when you run? If so, I found listening to a podcast instead helps me to slow down. I have never been a podcast person but I listen to 'there's no such thing as a fish' podcast which is done by some of the guys on QI and its pretty funny. It's kinda hard to run fast, sucking in air like crazy when your pissing yourself laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Great shout! I have snorted out loud laughing while out running listening to that podcast....get some strange looks

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lujan

I tried podcasts a while back, usually football podcasts, and while I enjoyed the podcasts, I found myself struggling with distance. Even 5k runs became a struggle

I went back to music and runs got easier again.

Maybe I was listening to the wrong podcasts. Will try QI and see how I get on.

Thanks for the suggestion

• Advertisement

Yep the reduced stride length can feel a little strange alright 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Very basic tip here but it helped me on easy runs before for marathon training:

Run with your mouth closed. If you have to only rely on your nose breathing, you simply won't be able to go at your faster paces, there won't be enough air coming in to sustain it. It's a crude but effective way to force a slower pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

It's really not that difficult...imagine yourself jogging alongside a young child or getting close to a closed rail crossing and not wanting to stop. Better still, look at how slowly super fit footballers can jog off when they are being substituted when their team is leading

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I did indeed, the 4 minute mile is for next year(liverpool fan here)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Has anyone ran any of the events in Portumna?

I'm thinking of doing the half but it sounds a bit chaotic....would be interested to hear people's experience 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Would there be much negative impact to a slow long run if I stopped for maybe 5 mins in the middle of it?

I normally run with a run group on Saturdays, but while my KMs are increasing I'm doing more than other people my speed are looking to do.

I probably have 16K to do on Saturday, and I'm sure some will do a longer distance like that, but they are too fast for me. While the group that run my speed are probably only doing 10Km.

So would it have much of an impact if I went early did a 6k loop and then go out with them for the last 10km? Could be maybe 5 mins of waiting around for people to gather (I could try time it that I'm 5 mins late too so less waiting :))

I run on my own most of the time, but it's nice to have the company for a change on the Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭cullenswood

No, if its a long slow run, its about getting time on the feet etc so a five min break will not negatively impact the benefits much at all.

Go with it, much nicer running with others, and definitely a good idea not running it too fast.

Yeah, totally agree. Nothing wrong at all with stopping for a few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

With an old running group I used to link in with, we'd stop at the half way point to use the bathroom, something to drink etc. Not a big deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I have sometimes done that. When you have the break between 2 runs, try to spend the time walking about if you are waiting for someone to arrive or if the people are there and are just getting themselves organised, you could spend the time stretching while you are chatting to them.

Advertisement