Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Block voting is really not the best term - think Geographic Voting instead.

So there are many factors that go into how many votes a particular song/ country gets: the catchiness of the ditty, melody, stage show, social media profile, the act itself and also neighbouring states that you share values and a bit of culture with.

The last bit, the Geographic Voting is only part of the mix but it surely adds that extra percentage that gets a song over the line.

Look at us on a map of Europe - at the edge of the Atlantic, so we'll get very little of the Geographic Voting effect, apart from our British neighbours.

This means that for us to get out of a semi final, we need to send a fantastic act/ song and do all the other bits extra well. To the point that we one of the favourites. That's what it needs for us to overcome our poor prospects as regards Geographic Voting.

We can send OK songs year after year and we won't qualify for a final. Other countries with same or similar songs will qualify. I figure RTE have really got to look hard at the situation, either throw the kitchen sink at it or get out of the competition. Being somewhere between will be embarrassing year after year after year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭jackboy

I think they are trying too hard. Better off having a bit of craic with it. Our acts are too fake and it’s extremely difficult to be too fake for Eurovision. The lead singer should have told someone to F off when asked to wear that outfit and do the terrible dancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Ireland is at “Edge of the Atlantic” ?

How is Australia getting through then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,479 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We seem to be obsessed with following the "winning formula" which usually means we are a few years out of date and look extremely wooden and fake.

We have tried all the different ways of picking songs and sending straight or funny stuff but it always seems forced.

We should go back to an open public vote. Probably won't get a winner but at least people will have a sense of ownership and also will have less reason to cry to Joe Duffy if it's a song we picked.

Blaming this bloc or "geographical" voting is embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I thought Marty was just playing the part and saying they were unlucky and the song was good etc. But from last night and the additional comments, I think he genuinely believes it.

Him being so out of touch with Eurovision has now become a problem.

In a way, he is correct in the fact that we're on the periphery of Europe but not for the same reasons he thinks. He thinks it's about votes. Culturally we're becoming far more aligned to the UK and US culture. This pretty much started around the mid to late 90s, which also coincided with our decline in Eurovision.

The TV we watch, the music we consume, the sports we watch, our holiday destinations, everything is alligned to English speaking countries. Some of the most cultureless nations on earth. The UK and US are not nation's to aspire to culturally.

Marty thinks that they are probably in Europe. It's us that is the problem. His employers that are the problem.

• Advertisement

Geographic voting is only one element, we can overcome it with an excellent song/ production but it is a notable handicap for us.

Aus - they're still a 'novelty item' and are so far removed from Europe, that this catches at the public imagination and gives them a bit of lift in the tele votes.

For your average voter on mainland Europe, Ireland is of little consequence. Despite our own high opinions of ourselves.

Have a look back at our pre 90s Eurovision entries and tell me how we are somehow now more aligned to the US and UK now ?

Irish people didn't know what a fekin baguette was before the 90s. We know way more about European culture now not less.

We have sht songs picked by people sht at their jobs. That's it nothing else none of this culture or geographical crap.

I agree with the last paragraph. But most counties to most other countries are of little consequence. It's not a handicap where we are placed on the map. Our only handicap is sht songs.

Yes.. but if were a mainland European country, we could still put in a sht song and still get out of a semifinal. You can surely see that it's the extra bit of votes thrown your way from neighbouring states, that gets you up the ladder of results. You won't win with mediocrity but you can make finals with neighbouring countries help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,418 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

let's be honest you need to flood social media (easier said than done), go round Europe promoting the song.

just sticking a song in and expecting it to do well is old school thinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,750 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is a handicap. It's a marginal difference but as the poster says it can make the difference between songs of about the same quality sneaking out of the semi final or not. The difference between 8th and 10th and 10th and 12th. If you look at voting patterns you'll see a pattern of countries voting for each other in terms of vote distribution.

Are we likely to get more or less votes in a semi when UK are able to vote for us? Are Lithuania \ Latvia \ Estonia depending on how they are drawn etc?

If the answer is yes, and there was Economist article I linked earlier on thread suggesting that, then it is of consequence.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

We did flood social media but it backfired. The stunt with the band sacking that guy and then standing back waiting for the applause didn’t work out. That stunt just added to the fakeness that the band unfortunately went along with. I feel sorry for them but age wise they are not young anymore so they need to take responsibility.

Yes that's our challenge. Seems to me that if you take the full entry of songs / acts every year - that a small few are excellent, a small few are crap and the rest are all much of a muchness. If we continue to enter average songs/ acts, then we'll always struggle to get out of a semi. We're easy to push out of that top ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

A bit late to this but I’ve just listened / watched Sweden’s entry now. They really know how to visually dazzle the viewer. The passion of Loreen is hypnotic and the contortions she’s in while still managing to sing to stellar levels is mind blowing.

I may be alone on this but I’m not terribly keen on the song. It’s very repeaty throughout and I’m not sure how it would translate to hearing it on eg a radio play etc.

Her last entry in 2012 was much more catchy.

Yes that's a good summary, sums up my own views on it.

But she does have a big profile, a bug Eurovision profile, while this is an inferior 'sequel' to her previous win, I think she's going to get a huge bounce in votes from that profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

I agree. Loreen's song isn't great but god the staging and the performance carry it. I think also the enthusiasm of the act helps. I listened to the Australian entry on apple music after last night's contest after they kind of blew me away on stage. The song isn't that great in recorded form but gosh did it come across well live.

We need to be putting effort into stagecraft and performance as well as picking a non generic sounding song. Another thing I noticed from skimming through the eurovision playlist was how jarringly out of touch our entry was, and that's before you get to the staging. Banal by the numbers pop with a smidgen of U2 which only served to be patronising in a 'Vot for us because we (Ireland) gave the world the gift of U2' kind of way. I'm not surprised Europe gave us the middle finger on that alone. Just for good measure thougha and to compund the problem, we spend about €50 on staging and as long as the other lads in the canteen in RTE thought the band looked OK and every body said 'sure they're grand', it was fine.

Look at Albania. I shouldn't have liked that song but she gave it socks and her family on stage with her gave it a realy nice feel. I can't remember the song but I remember enjoying it a lot at the time. They didn't do anyting wild or fantasic but the song carried it and the performance. We didn't even achieve that. Flat performance, flast staging and a flat generic song. Like, how do you not know this, especially if you're working for RTE and routinely interacting with other broadcasters and, hell, getting live feeds of eurovisions all the week of the contest. You know, you should be a subject matter expert on the thing with that exposure. Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭greenpilot

I've read that the lead singer wanted to wear the suit and the head of the delegation decided to let him off. "It wasn't my job to impose on Conor's artistic freedom". Jesus. Something tells me it was the same "freedom" that guided the band to commit the career-ending, tone deaf, move of sacking Ian Bantham. As another poster said, they expected everyone to get on board with the decision. The exact opposite occured.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,690 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

On top of that, Wild Youth were barely visible.

We cynical (some would say!) British and Irish can see right through the transparent schmoozing like a 10-year-old hospital gown. But in this era of Eurovision it has to be done.

Take this year’s German entry as an example.

Lord Of The Lost have really taken to this year’s theme of ‘United By Music’ and have been omnipresent both in the City and online.

Recording and posting stripped-down cover versions of the other songs this year…

Even visiting a school in Liverpool to promote equality and diversity…

From their final LLS interview before travelling over to their appearance on the Turquoise Carpet, Wild Youth were nowhere to be seen. They should have been performing everywhere and anywhere to both the Irish and Ukranian communities in Liverpool.

So in conclusion, to win Eurovision…

ACTUALLY LOOK AS IF YOU’RE HAVING FUN, GO COMPLETELY OVER THE TOP WITH THE PERFORMANCE AND SCHMOOZE, SCHMOOZE, SCHMOOZE! :D

You're absolutely no idea what the consequences of sacking him versus not sacking him were, they were on a sticky wicket either way of annoying some people. So really your statement has no basis.

Did you miss the bit where the second semi final's intermission act was a performance by drag queens?

I think you have the Eurovision confused with someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Yes, they lost because they did a woke and upset the famously conservative Eurovision fan base.

I'm sure the fact that the song was generic and the lead singer looked like he would rather be anywhere else for most of the song had nothing at all to do with it.

• Advertisement

Jedward were great for that. They really got the whole Eurovision experience.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

The point is basing their social media strategy off the sacking backfired. There was so much wrong they probably would not have qualified anyway. But as has been pointed out by others, a positive social media strategy can lead to a lot of votes.

Really they had no social media strategy before then? That was the basis for their entire strategy???

A positive social media strategy can lead to a lot of votes.

If they hadn't sacked him, we'd probably have people here saying it backfired. They were put into a difficult position, I think they made the right call.

They made the wrong call. 99% would agree they made the wrong call. Let’s be honest, they sacked him for social media likes. It didn’t work.

99%? You're just making numbers up now out of thin air. Zero credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

The drummer was the best part of the act I thought. At least he was visible and looked like he was happy to be there.

Lol. You clearly know little about the music industry in this country. What people don't realise is that Bantham was well-liked, and well respected in both the UK and Ireland. To ordinary folks like yourself, not connected to the business, the whole affair seems to be pitiful, nonessential rubbish. And that's perfectly understandable. However, sacking a gay man and accusing him of being Transphobic, without realising that the chap in question ( whom Bantham, in a tweet, correctly pointed out was a man) raped and stabbed a woman.

All Wild Youth focused on was " Man mis-gendered woman", and jumped on the Woke Wagon to protect their virtue.

If you don't know the complete back story, then it's probably wise not to comment.

So, essentially, WY sacked their gay Choreographer for pointing out that a prison inmate who was calling himself a woman, was actually a man. A man that raped and stabbed a woman.

The story recieved major traction in the UK. Christ, even Mumsnet came out in favour of Bantham.

That's why there are hundreds of vitriolic tweets on their page from mostly women and gay men, villifying the band.

This industry us very, very small in this country. Good luck to them.

Precisely. Any courious person checking out their Twitter page before voting would have been appalled. It wasn't even moderated. It's SM PR 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Anyone looking to offload a ticket to Eurovision in the Lighthouse tomorrow night or know where/how I might acquire one?

• Advertisement

JFC. That's not all Bantham said though is it? He didn't just confine his anti-trans comments to that one incident did he?

And as an added bonus, he throws in some conspiracy theory nonsense about covid and Ukraine and the Eurovision. Comments highly critical of Ukraine winning the Eurovision last year.

But you knew all of this already??? And didn't think it worth mentioning???

He also calls being trans a “cult”.

Several tweets also congratulate the United Kingdom for “winning” Eurovision in 2022, despite Ukraine garnering by far the most points at last year’s competition, with the UK in second place.

The account wrote: “There’s a reason they call it the Eurovision ‘song’ contest. Not Eurovision “support contest”.

Other tweets posted to the same account are anti-vax in nature, with one in reply to a GB News tweet reporting a predicted upswing in COVID-19 deaths, saying: “Starting to ramp up the fear as the Ukraine plot is fading?”

https://www.thepinknews.com/2023/04/25/wild-youth-eurovision-ian-banham-transphobic-tweets/

Advertisement