Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Yep same up north here, February was very false start to spring too, with cattle out and expecting them to stay out, didn't fully work out. Thank god the next 2 days should be super weather wise, and lift the spirits momentarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

"Horns belong to the cow; they are an essential part of the animal. Studies show that they are important not only for communication within the herd, but also for physical heat balance, digestion, and metabolism".

I presume debudding is OK

• Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Quote from the article - "Transport of animals will be a key component of the review. But an end to disbudding and dehorning cattle may also be proposed,"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Polled genetics will get a serious lift if that goes through.

Post edited by patsy_mccabe on

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Wait till they find out what eventually happens to a farm animal.

*little cuts. Snip. Snip. To an eventual conclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭straight

It won't go through. Health and safety trumps everything.

Some of these proposals coming out of Europe are getting ridiculous. Imagine loading factory fit bulls/bullocks onto a lorry/trailer and them digging the daylights outta each other with their horns - wait, I have the solution - I've seen cattle with large horns transported in a way that they couldn't harm one another, all you need is a few rope halters and a team of lads to ride shotgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Maybe they should pay a bit of attention to kosher shechita and halal while they're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

That Stephen Cadogan has gone full Brexit style anti EU with that headline and article, he's just been a mouthpiece for Copa Cogeca since he retired as editor but this is a new low.

This was from a submission from a Biodynamic Federation apparently, one of 59,281 consultation contributions. It would first have to adopted by the Commission as a proposal, which is extremely unlikely, and then go through the political process where it wouldn't last as long as a snowball in hell.

It might be one for one of our rural TDs to campaign on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭148multi

They just leak stuff like this so that when regulations get stricter we'll be glad they didn't go full hog.

It reminds me.

A neighbour got into bad health a few years back, he had a dozen lm heifers with horns, very quiet but one boss that used to lead the herd.

One day bossy lm broke one horn in the middle of summer, vet said skull her. So we did just her and let them out, smallest one immediately spent the rest of the day walking after her and pucking her in the arse.

• Advertisement

That ain't going to happen in the EU as religious freedom/tradition overrides animal welfare.

Of course it isn't going to happen, but I see it as a dangerous game being facilitated through the agri-media here, attempting to create anti-EU sentiment in farmers, its like something you'd see in GB news.

It's a well known requirement of biodynamics anyway which is a particularly niche/left field discipline.

TBH I've always been on the fence about our EEC membership. As I've previously posted we sold our fishermen and the Nation short when we joined the EEC due to the billions of Euro's worth of fish that have been caught by Spanish, Portuguese, British and French trawlers. I have availed of EU farming supports over the years but it annoys me that the value of that fishery catch/contribution isn't recognised. I remember as a child hearing my older siblings talking about our impending membership of the EEC in particular the then member states wanting Ireland to be planted in forestry to provide timber for their use. IMO the EU bureaucratic tail is getting a bit too waggy for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭White Clover

I'd be inclined to agree with you although did we begin to see the cracks starting to appear with regard to the nature restoration debate last week? The level of bullsh*t from Europe has gone to extremist levels.

I'm on the fence about it since the Biodiversity Strategy for 2030 came out, ie more and stricter designations. The over-reach is appalling at this stage. The Nature Restoration Law makes it even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Anybody know of any "no till" methods of sowing wild flower seeds? Preferably native, one half of the lawn isnt hectic so i was thinking of giving it up for the bees this summer. Its mossy light and bare in parts we have a pack of seeds here but it requires cultivating i was hoping for ones that just need broadcasting (yes the lazy way i know)

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

#vanlife

While I understand the concerns you raise re the fishery sell off, it's not directly relevent to the false narratives in the media which I find disturbing.

But on the fishery vs ag issue, I would say there was at least an order of magnitude if difference in the number of citizens involved in those industries, and we weren't in as strong a position to develop out fishing industry.

The forestry obviously never took hold here in a serious way apart from a few pockets of poor hill land, and we're certainly not a major EU player in timber production.

The EEC brought unprecedented prosperity to rural Ireland,if anything it is a shame and a lost opportunity that we haven't embraced and integrated more. Our linguistic colonial legacy has been a double edged sword and we're very much over influenced by the other major english speaking nations ... imho!

Post edited by Castlekeeper on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,560 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A significant number of tillage farmers stacked entitlements as it reduced there liability to lease land. They often stacked onto a third or less that they either owned or had long-term rental agreement on.

Large dealers and finishers did similar. I recall one case of an older farmer who was slaughtering 800 cows, aged bulls and bullocks for the slaughter premium only on average during the reference years

He was farming several hundred acres all rented except for about 80 acres he owned. He dropped the rented land and had entitlements of about 2k/HA on his own land.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,727 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The EPP party of Copa Cogeca fame is currently stopping proposals to protect small artisanal fishermen from here and other EU countries by getting them a fare share of EU fish quotas from the foreign factory ships currently raping Irish waters. They also oppose protecting these waters from destructive bottom trawling with heavy nets miles long by these same factory ships. The majority of farmers should be very wary getting into to bed with that crowd....

PS: Lets not forget Brexit and how that has worked out for British Farmers and Fishermen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

#Tell me you’ve never grown a cereal crop dealing with grass weeds without telling me you’ve never grown a cereal crop dealing with grass weeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yes, and in our area you barely get the weather to cut the corn , you'd never get the straw if you didn't have the crop sprayed with glyphosphate before harvesting,

The sad fact is that every sector is lobbying now and the noisy child gets fed first, if you're not stating your case you'll get nothing and it's the way the powers that be have made us.

After last years milk prices, dairy farmers telling tillage farmers they're getting too much money shouldn't be taken seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Sadly I see this in the day job too. Nobody wants to tell the whinger to shut up and get on with it. The hard worker is getting no recognition

Post edited by Hard Knocks on

How did black grass become gly resistant?

Evolution through super imposed conditions by continous herbicide use.

The same thing done year after year because it worked at first. Then nature decided better. But there's no only one thing in nature. There's billions of organisims all reproducing and killing each other. What kills the blackgrass? Chemical now doesn't. So where do you go now to eat that blackgrass?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

The difference is that the dairy farmer is not looking for subsidies. I actually don't hear much complaining from the dairy sector really, the tillage sector at the moment are like a child with a scaldy arse.

The tillage sector are looking for government imposed unfair advantage over other sectors. It's not to the farmers advantage however it's only to the merchants and agronomists. Definitely not the environment. More tillage, more nitrates in waterways. But the plant based have the ear of government and media. So nothing is said.

However... None of us are rooted to anything.

Dairy and livestock producers have the advantage over pure tillage operators. Just cut the middleman out if you want. Use the incentives to take out land for your own meal requirements. When the noise dies down it looks that's what the government is nudging into place over imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

You're probably following same on fb.

A prominent tillage farmer on a fruit producer channel giving out that they continually need to take more land to farm. They're well into the thousands of acres at this stage. Rant is about the dairy man taking land.

They blame nitrates and slurry and the government. No personal responsibility taken that they need to be so big themselves. Bar the fruit producer saying everyone has bills and mortgages to pay so growth seems ad finitim.

Then another rant about farmers not sticking together.

Then a talk about sustainability award while spraying on fungicide.

Some are getting so wound up by this. They believe they can do no wrong or are doing no wrong themselves. Same person sells tillage machinery and has another off farm job.

No play the likes of that at their own game. Take out land for tillage and use the meal yourself. They can say nothing then.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Jim Simmental

was moving the cattle this morning to fresh pasture this morning, just then noticed the bull was ‘tender’ on his feet - still well able to move.

I’ll have to get the hoof man out to look at him next week.

just wondering, would he still be able to bull cows if they are a bit tender on their feet?

I did spot him bulling a cow in the field this morning, but just curious if a bit of lame less could affect his semen quality ?

• Advertisement

How do you kill it so?

Or why the nightmares of Blackgrass from every cereal grower?

Advertisement