Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

Alas if they don't give people what they want then people will take matters into their own hands. TotK can already be played on PC via Switch emulators and at 60fps too (albeit with an annoying bug where cut scenes run at double speed, but I'm sure a fix is not far away).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

On the contrary, a fix may be pretty far away. Every major emulator developer is currently trying to put as much distance between their emulator and TOTK, with most of them saying that they're not developing any fixes for it, and even one that's stopped development altogether.

It may change over the next few weeks, but I'd say most of them will try to keep their head down as much as possible.

Yes the emulator developers are, but the code is open source and there are community branches and mods. But apart from that it could well be a difficult issue to fix (double speed cut scenes at 60fps). Playing at 30fps obviously works just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

That sounds like a solution for people willing to spend more time getting it running than actually playing the game...

Piracy is not the solution to this problem. And yes, even if you own the game, playing it in an emulator is still technically piracy - you don't own the game, you only acquired the right to play it under a license agreement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Actually no, playing a copy you own under emulation is not piracy. You've paid for a license to use that software. You can use it however you want even if that includes running it on an emulator. The big platform holders might want to think otherwise but the law says otherwise.

• Advertisement

How many great games would be lost if it weren't for emulation?

But unfortunately it does come with an illegal element who will download the games without paying for them.

All Nintendo have to do is take the source code, turn it into a Nintendo PC app and have a store where you can purchase the games.

This is the point I was trying to make. People will take it upon themselves when a corporation is deliberately preventing them from having what they want.

Its why we have MP3s and streaming services. Those industries eventually caved in and gave them legal, official options.

It depends on the jurisdiction, in the US you can even go to jail. In the EU I know there is a case for the right to resale a game you own, but I don't think there is anything about this one. Indeed, you should be allowed to do anything with the game you paid for, and you should be allowed to do anything with the console you paid for, and that includes removing any protection mechanism and even help others do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I watch movies in the cinema mode as the soap opera effect makes them look like mobile phone footage. Tom Cruise made me aware of this via some infomercial that was on YouTube years ago. So he's useful for something. 😁

TOTK, looks better in cinema mode AND standard mode than game mode. LG C1. It's not just a Switch issue, other 30 FPS games look bad in this mode too for me on other platforms but look and play beautiful in 60+.

Going to play around with some sub settings on game mode this evening to see if there is something else I need to tweak.

You void your warranty, which is obvious. Console makers are not going to repair consoles that have been tampered with.

Software is different though as a digital asset.

I don't know if it's legal or not to be honest other than what I have read on the internet which is as reliable as fox news for facts. I'd love a solid, reputable source to put the argument to bed.

But I am playing on the switch. My point was to the person who said there should be separation from the software and the platform and exclusivity needs to die a miserable death. I totally agree and the point is so do many others to the point they've gone and done it themselves. Right or wrong, legal or not.

There should be an intermediary gaming language (like .net) so all games are made on the one platform independant layer that then gets compiled for each targeted console.

Games then compete on the quality of the games and cannot get a market lead with exclusivity deals and mega mergers.

Wishful thinking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can't go to jail for it in the US. Nobody has ever been arrested for it and copyright law is very clear, you have a license to use that software as you see fit, not hindered by platform. Also you are allowed to make as many copies as you want for personal use (this is also why copyright law is this way for software otherwise running software which involves copying software to memory would be a copyright infringement). In fact there's cases that have been won to allow software on different platforms. If emulation was bad then Nintendo, Apple, Sony and Microsoft and countless other big companies would be locked up or facing hefty fines. Distribution of copyrighted roms is piracy however piracy as is the distribution of bios files that many emulators need and this is were convictions carry weight.

• Advertisement

Making and using emulators is totally legal. What the emulator makers fear is a DMCA battle with Nintendo who has money to burn. Nintendo can take as long as they want and drag out proceedings until the defendant is bankrupt. If the defendant had infinite resources they would eventually win in court. I'm not aware of Nintendo doing this before but wouldn't be surprised but Sony did this with Lik-Sang a couple of years ago for exporting PSP units to Europe where it was months away from release. Totally legit in the free market but Sony opened cases against lik sang in over 100 countries and Lik Sang couldn't afford to defend itself or be in all countries at the same time.

Lawyers/Solicitors are arsholes, especially corporate ones.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, Nintendo are a company that has money to burn, and a will to burn it quite happily. Only recently a guy (called Gary Bowser, believe it or not) got out of prison by promising to pay 25% of his earning to Nintendo, basically for the rest of his life. He owes them $14 million, or some crazy amount, for piracy.

To be fair that case was cut and he was guilty of multiple crimes. Just blame the US judicial system for handing out a sentence that was worse than if they guy had sexually assaulted someone.

Nintendo recently went after ROM sites as well, again outright copywrite infringements but they are doing a better job of archiving games than most publishers themselves (and nintendo even used roms from rom sites for their old game releases when they had lost source code).

I was the one who said that there should be that separation. And it doesn't even have to be that simple, because probably it will never be. But a publisher who is not invested in a particular platform will pay for porting and releasing on multiple platforms, which is exactly what happens with virtually all games that aren't published by platform owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭eggy81

Wrong thread

Post edited by eggy81 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭eggy81

….

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

PowerWash Simulator has over 7 million players. Amazing!

Did any of you 'splash' out on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Have played the crap out of it on Xbox as its on Gamepass. Another one of those zen type games where you realise tlyou just spent the last 3 hours digitally powerwashing. But that won't stop you. Walls to be sprayed. Dings to be heard. Pretty cool little interconnected story in it too. Tomb Raider DLC was fun, bringing back memories. FF one was lost on me but i completed it anyway.

I can get the real thing, it's fun for maybe 5 minutes.

• Advertisement

I played that so much on xcloud with my phone amd kishi controller. I had to stop because I wrecked my wrist. At one point my hand went numb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭McFly85

Emulation is still really a grey area. You have the right to play a digital copy of a game you have a license for but any alterations to the code(such as changing the fps) would probably void that agreement, as would using any proprietary software in emulation.

Thankfully, nobody really cares useless you’re profiting from it or harming others profit, so unless you’re trying to emulate a game released in the last couple of years you’re probably grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

No but my driveway could do with it, feel free to pop over anytime 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

It's really not a grey area. The platform holders like to make out that it is but everything regarding emulation is set out in the law and has been pretty much tested in court.

Emulation is perfectly legit. Altering the software you buy is also perfectly legit as well.

Circumventing security measures is now a bit of a grey area. Under copyright law it should be perfectly legit for you to do this but the platform holders have been lobbying and putting pressure on law makers and there's been a few convictions made, although they were made based on circumventing security for the purposes of commiting copyright infringement. As long as you aren't pirating then it's still should be legal. This also only really applies to always online games and hacking consoles. Mods are protected (and they kind of should have been in the case of the GTA 5 one).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Does anyone else get crippled with choice in open world games? It's happened in other games but I'm currently playing Horizon: Forbidden West and I feel overwhelmed with things to do.

"Should I do a main mission? Side mission? Ruin? Look for upgrade materials for my weapon/armour? Rebel outpost? Just explore?" Can be frustrating.

Post edited by J. Marston on

I just choose not to play them and play something good instead. 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭recyclops

Depends on type of open world game. I find ubisoft and Sony ones are the worst for that and make me not want to play.

I am currently around 10 hours into tears of the kingdom and it's a complete joy just wandering around discovering, Elden ring was the same. So instead of not playing them just play good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,797 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So many modern games are just lacking soul, whether that's a studio told to make a sequel because MONEY or a studio that created a game out of love and it got corrupted by the higher ups. I think that's why I've been mostly enjoying Indies so far this year. Not that indies can't be soulless but the great ones are all made from devs pouring love into them and no interference from stockholders.

It's so apparent when a game wants to waste your time just to clock up hours and does the bare minimum with repeat boring, unimaginative quests. There's definite exceptions to this obviously but I'm not sure if it's just getting older or burnt out from modern game nonsense that I'm noticing it more and more and gravitating to games made out of love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Advertisement