Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Air Display 2023 - 29th & 30th July 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Does anyone know if its on this year in other years it would be all over Facebook and twitter at this stage very strange absolutely no updates on what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jasT1981

Looks like licence applications had to be in by Yesterday, so assuming all is good with it, it should be soon.

Last year announcement was on 3rd April, so yes, it is a little late but a few display aircraft have Bray listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Last year was such a shambles and so stressful for the family, the kids (9) refuse to go this year. Train + Dart was just awful.

Hopefully the train issues won't happen again this year.

I most likely won't be down. A couple of weeks after RIAT and involves a 3 1/2 hour trip each way as it would be impossible to get a cheap enough hotel with only 2 months to go doesn't seem worth it right now.

Viggen is a nice boost to the show, but last time I saw it at Bray, it may as well have been displaying over Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I remember them saying "our high speed display line", and it was halfway across the Irish Sea. Stupid. Bring back Galway where the Eurofighter aimed its afterburners at the crowd more than once, and the display line was basically the low tide mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Times have changed since then, and the Shoreham Hunter crash in 2015 is probably a factor here, even though that happened in the UK. Bray Head at 800 feet high presumably influences what fast jets are permitted to do also.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Jaysci20

I can't believe they're talking about running this again after the utter shambles of previous years. P1ssup and brewery are two words to come to mind.

Well, thankfully, attendance is not compulsory. I will wait to see what's coming and also the weather on the day before deciding.

You're correct - but having attended a few times what will be coming is a chaotic, overcrowded seaside, broken down DARTs, toddlers on the verge of meltdowns, never-ending food queues, plenty of Dublin's most decent, honorable young men, and no escape.

To be fair, you're descrbing most seaside shows there lol.

Dart issues weren't really Bray's fault though. Train stopped to wait on another train that was at the Bray stop, which is normal from memory, only for idiots to get out onto the track and try to walk to Bray which caused a massive hold up for all trains.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119381711/#Comment_119381711

Post edited by jasT1981 on

• Advertisement

It's been like that on previous years too. The DART can't cope with the volume of people being moved. Neither can the small roads which feed into Bray. I used to always go to the Galway airshow which worked very well with the mass transit of people - I suppose because Salthill is very close, even walkable from the city centre of Galway. Anyway enjoy in 2023, for me it's thrice bitten with the appalling logistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

Website is now updated for 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

Anyone go up to Bray Head for this in previous years? I'd imagine it's nicer than being on the seafront with the crowds.

Have they actually updated the flying list for 2023 or is it a copy/paste of 2022? Wingwalkers seems to be the only thing different from 2022.

3pm start on both days too now. Yikes. The displays are good, I won't put them down, but nothing overly worth a 4 hour each way trip for. Lancaster is a great catch for Bray, but I will have seen her at least 4 times before Bray this summer.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

That's my go to spot.

Last year I was just above the grassy area when the helicoptee rides were taking off. Got there around an hour before schedule display start.

There is a carpark there too.

It was very busy but not manic like the seafront.

From there you can walk further up. But with a 210mm lens I didn't want to go further away from the flightline.

There were guys there with 600mm lens.

The top of Bray Head is good for larger or faster display items which don't turn in tight by the seafront, but not so for the smaller aircraft. It depends what you are after. These are from 2015, though the display line and/or display heights may have been revised in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Romour has it reds will be going to Dub on the 29th, due to the wet runway restrictions they had at bál Last year. And as some know I don't do romour 🤫

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Bray website stating the BBMF and The Reds will display this year.

They had an update from the BBMF on Facebook that they have an issue with a Merlin engine that they use,

To be honest this years display is almost a copy of other years and again no fast jets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Re "again no fast jets" - what about the Reds and Viggen? Both were cancelled last last year, which was dismal, but are they not at least planned again for this one?

By fast Jets I mean something like an F16 the Viggen may as well be over in Wales they display so far out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

Near the upper car park is great as most planes are same height as yourself. It's not packed either. There is no hope of parking nearby, either park at one of the designated car parks and walk, or another option is to park in Greystones and take the greystones to bray coastal trail if you are fit. While on the walk you can see all the planes.

Bray beach and seafront is always jammed with people and crazy and unenjoyable compared to up on Bray head. Restaurants and take aways with queues and rubbish everywhere.

I hear there is a new for air show sandyford luas to Bray shuttle bus presumably from last stop at carrickmines but I would be worried about the bus getting stuck in traffic. Traffic by car, dart, bus is always mad, there is no easy solution. You might be able to avoid some of the queues in and out by using Google maps real time traffic and or going over the Dublin mountains or Enniskerry village direction. I would tend to walk or cycle last few miles as there is no parking close as anyway. If you can arrive extra early and bring a picnic.

In terms of planes crashing into crowds etc, I was always surprised how close planes were to Bray head. You could make out the pilots by eye easily although it varied by aircraft type. A sneeze could easily cause trouble at those speeds or even engine trouble on one side. There has been a good few incidents at international shows over the years. I expect insurance costs creep up.all.the time.

I always found it unclear who was on when unless you are close to main stand on seafront, and the running order seems to change compared to advertised. I hope to be there but I'm a local.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

Yeah, parking in Greystones and going from there is the way to go imo. We've stayed in my mum's place there overnight before to avoid traffic. The cliff walk from Greystones to Bray is closed at the moment as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

Cliff walk has been officially closed for years now but people walk it daily.

The Reds could not take off from Baldonnel last year because the runway was drenched by a heavy shower. This year they are reportedly to operate from Dublin Airport. I imagine the latter takes some arranging nowadays, as Dublin is effectively at capacity most of the time and does not welcome ad hoc movements.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The new runway wasn't available last year though.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

True, but that's just one aspect of accommodating up to ten military fast-jets on the airport itself and managing the ATC aspects, amongst other things. Anyway, the good thing is that the team will operate from Dublin this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

Be grand, they'll arrive Saturday eve and out by Sunday eve... park on the cargo apron in front of the tower... Dublin isn't too busy Saturday eve to Sunday eve.

Advertisement