Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission for an extension taller than house roof

Options
  • 09-05-2023 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hoping to get some advice, how difficult is it to get planning permission for an extension that would be taller than the current home? I'm looking at a house that is basically a U shape, it's not ideal long term due to the lack of space upstairs, but a 2 story extension essentially filling in the U would make it a great house.

The upstairs ceilings are very low, so I would want any extension to be at least 1m higher than what is currently there, how difficult is it to get planning for something like that? The house is detached and 20m+from any other house, and it wouldn't obscure any sight lines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

The Councils really don't like that at all.................Extension or Dormer Windows higher then the Roof Ridge line

I've ran into this issue in Howth only this year

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Id generally agree with that but in the case at hand the filling in of a void between 2 outshots would create a dominant feature and just may be favourably considered. I think the OP should get a couple of elevations drawn up and look for a pre-planning meeting with the local planners.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

No harm in trying at all.........They can only say No

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭chalky_ie

Thanks for the responses, @muffler I wasn't aware you can do something like that, is that essentially engaging with an architect and having them draw something up, and then meeting with planners to assess the viability, before even submitting anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Advertisement
Advertisement