Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭ModelWhy

Holy moly! 41 Model X's dropped into inventory overnight.

Funny thing is, they seem to be left hand drive which I can't imagine is very practical for UK and Irish markets (cars coming from Southampton it says).

Lot of rejects from Europe I'd say.

Maybe the cost of living and interest rates are really starting to bite even those with deeper pockets!

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That’s because Tesla cancelled the RHD productions for MS and MX over night.

If anyone wants one it’s LHD or nothing for the foreseeable future unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭MaireBee

Tesla have pulled S and X Right hand drive cars; people on Tesla Facebook page who have orders are very annoyed. They got a message saying that X or S no longer available in RHD; same in all RHD countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

I had Tesla Ranger out with me this morning, needless to say Tesla employees weren't told about this & hadn't a clue. Love the cars, but what a shambles of a company in terms of communication & customer service 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 28,073 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They probably reduced the SC rates across Europe yesterday to get some positive publicity out before this news broke today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Edgardo.

Post edited by Edgardo. on

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

Tesla are screwed, it's funny reading the OP of this thread from 4 years ago, poster got it spot on regarding Elon, the self driving malarkey, the Tesla brand ,the fantasy cybertruck and the big car companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Hard to see what's going to happen here...

I can see many people opting for a M3 or MY with the 2k credit. Could have the knock-on effect of higher demand and reduced availability for the smaller cars.

I also see many people annoyed enough to sell the M3's that they had while waiting for the more expensive car order to be fulfilled and never touch a tesla again. This could have the opposite effect

Tesla cost-cutting isn't a good look one way or another

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I am most certainly in the latter. My M3 will be on the market in 6-8 weeks, I will be cancelling my cybertruck reservation in addition to the X plaid one which will be cancelled by Tesla.

I'll take my order for a six figure premium car elsewhere since Tesla doesnt want to deliver mine that I ordered in good faith years ago.

I will never, ever, own anything to do with Tesla or Elon ever again. This is the most stupid decision yet from a ridiculous catalog over the last 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭ModelWhy

Would anyone honestly be tempted to buy a LHD in a right road driving market?

Can't see it being safe or practical. Not to mention the mad cost of the X and S.

I wonder what Tesla are NOT saying about this decision.

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Couldn't agree more. Great cars, brutal customer engagement.

Not quite, rather the opposite 😁

In the almost exact 4 years since the post, the TSLA share has gone up by about 1500% 😮 In other words, if you had not bought the cheapest Tesla for sale in Ireland back then, but rather invested the money in the share, you would be a millionaire now.......

Tesla has the highest margin in the industry by a landslide. Tesla are likely this year or next to make the best selling car in the world (not EV, car!). The Tesla plans for total production numbers have pretty much come through and Tesla is on a direct path to producing more cars than any non-Chinese company. Surpassing giants like VW and Toyota. Tesla have the guts of a million cars in north America on the road that can fully self drive (using beta software) under almost any circumstances, Europe is expected some time next year (driver is still responsible at all times, so just level 2 by definition though)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

+1 on this. I've been looking at what else I could buy for my money (other than 3 or Y) and there's just nothing out there that competes, e.g. i4 is 61.5k in very basic spec. That's more than 50% dearer than base M3 RWD. It's buy Tesla or spend more for a lesser car. Like it or lump it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Their plans for production might be coming through, but what’s clear in the data, for the past few months (and for the first time ever), Tesla have a very obvious demand problem - they’re producing more cars than they can sell.

What’s even more stark, is that the recent mid April price cut hasn’t nearly created as much demand as expected.

So - More price cuts, or cut production?

Tesla aren’t building these LHD orders because they don’t want to compound the problem further. Buy a 3/Y or fu€k off!

They are now producing just 1.5 viable models, with the Y being the biggest competitor for the 3.

even if another model was announced this evening, you won’t be driving it for a few years. The market around Tesla is evolving far quicker and faster than Tesla are.

tesla announced the 3 over 7 years ago and the Y over 4 years ago. Everything since has just been a distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

An interesting question is why more people aren't up in arms over legacy manufacturers showing such disregard for their customers by supplying overpriced and many cases inferior products.

BTW fully appreciate people's anger with latest Elon clanger

well it’s quite literally a free market - people don’t have to buy the product if they don’t want to, and there are hundreds of other options.

I'm not quite sure of the rationale behind no longer making S or X in RWD. I appreciate there is very little in it for Tesla. These are niche cars, now getting quite old, that cost a lot to build and would take resources away from building cars that have much higher margins. Grand to make the LWD as there is still considerable demand for that - even after well over a decade, it's still the daddy of all EVs. In many ways the best, the fastest, etc.

That said, Tesla will obviously p1ss off a lot of fans / buyers waiting on their LHD cars or having waited years to even order one. I'd say they have barely considered this - typical for Tesla. I mean, how much would it really cost them to build a few hundred RHD cars? It's not like fully automated / robotized production lines will have to be altered. These are mostly hand built cars.

Tesla PR / communications / customer service / customer relationship management is p1ss poor brutal.

Looking at new model S or X registrations in Ireland:

2018:120

2019: 85

2020: 56

2021/22: 0

They haven’t delivered a RHD car for 3 years. i know people love to talk about the Tesla margin on these larger cars, but maybe it just wasn’t in their interest to build them. Worldwide S/X deliveries in Q1 were just 2% of total. These models are literally in the noise level, even in LHD markets. Tesla simply decided to not compound matters by having to order RHD parts.

Q2 delivery growth % and margin levels will tell one heck of a story. The share price is built upon continued 50-60% delivery growth, but 30-40% seems more likely now, and in Europe e.g deliveries actually fell slightly in Q1 v Q4.

from an analysis perspective, I still think Tesla seems hopelessly overvalued still. falling margins (but still high). falling demand. increasing production.

as an aside, I think anyone expecting the cybertruck to get homologated to Irish roads, never mind at a sub €90-100k price, is probably dreaming.

The Tesla history of RHD S/X:

this one should’ve been shot in the head 3 years ago. Cant see why Tesla strung it along

• Advertisement

@sk8board - I'd say the Model X / S are halo cars and have been for quite some time. They show that Tesla is still top of the class, even though these cars are now old. Model X - a huge 7 seater - as fast to 60 as a Formula 1 car, LOL! They contribute nothing materially to Tesla's bottom line. And your figures back that up, 3k sold in RWD 3 years ago. Would probably be no more than 2k now if they were still for sale

And I'm not sure why you are hung up about Tesla effectively only having 1.5 model for sale? It probably is only a one horse show with the Model Y at the moment. It seems to work for them. Giant economies of scale doing that, massive demand world wide and huge margins as they can make these cars cheaper than anyone else, despite batteries being bought in largely from Chinese companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Dasein

ridiculous

what a stupid company 🙄

I didn't think they could top the PDC removal idiocy - but fair play to them

insurance on LHD is not always straightforward here either

from a marketing perspective I disagree

halo products, premium products, aspirational products lift the entire brand image;

they certainly have the best tech in the market - combining it with awful customer service and such poor marketing is a terrible way to run a company

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

I was in the Sandyford SC this evening and overheard a conversation between a sales agent and a customer where the customer was laughing at the idea of buying a LHD Model S and the sales agent claimed that they had received several orders already today. He seemed dubious about that himself. I can only imagine they were bought by people who are only living in Ireland for a few years and plan to return to a LHD part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I can only imagine they were bought by people who are only living in Ireland for a few years and plan to return to a LHD part of the world

I would doubt that to be honest as it would be most likely a lot cheaper to buy the car in their home market…

for instance a Plaid looks to only cost €113k in Estonia

Yet the cheapest Plaid to buy in Ireland is €145k

In Germany it looks like €130k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭eagerv

A pal of mine always buys a LHD car, he has been living here for about 30 years but cannot get used to driving a RHD car..😊. He does go back home to Germany regularly but spends most of the year here. He reckons because his driving here is almost all rural and in Germany is mainly cities and motorways, that it's safer that way.

Would I own and drive a LHD car in Ireland? For sure, a classic / weekend car. A €100k+ Model S? Not a chance.

Very curious they even offer them for sale here. Demand for a RHD one would be maybe 100 per year being generous. A LHD can't see them sell more than one handful of them really. At a big push. Anyone buying one should come over here and explain themselves 😂

Good points.

im not hung up on Tesla having just 1.5 models per say, not today anyway, but the forecast for 2023 is 1.2m Y and 500k 3’s, so the 3 is clearly becoming a much smaller part of the pie, and I don’t see the refresh changing that much. It’s also currently selling at hugely reduced margins versus 2022 - 1/2 the sales at 1/2 the margin = 1/4 of the revenue

my concern would be when I look into the near future - we know how long it takes Tesla to deliver anything, so when I fast fwd a few years, there will be a refreshed 3, (by then 10years old!), selling in small numbers no doubt, and the then 7 year old Y, presumably getting a refresh - and that’s it - and that’s competing against the best the world has to offer.

you’d want to be drinking all of the coolade to see how Tesla continues to grow materially in that environment.

the cybertruck, semi, roadster, FSD, insurance, mega packs, solar tiles, robot thing, etc etc won’t be volumes sellers, certainly not enough to shift the share price of a $0.5 trillion dollar business.

its all riding on the Y for the next few years, and that’s a huge risk

• Advertisement
Advertisement