Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭eagerv

At least you are not in your Thongs..😁

(You can tell I have spent some time down under..)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I never said I wasn't 😉

(That one always throws me when the kids are watching bluey 😂)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

We still in the Id thread 👀 or a car forum for that matter 🤣🤣

Anyone coming here for buying advice has probably decided ID.4 drivers are a bunch of weirdos after reading the last few posts 😂

We'll probably see Ioniq 5 sales go through the roof next month

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Hi newly into an ID4 2021 77 kwh. Used a public charger today and it only charged at 11kw ( charger capable of 22kw) does someone know if there are any restrictions or settings on ID4 that would max it out at 11kw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

One thing I have noticed about electric car owners is that it's a bit like the console wars. 🤣

Some.people.woukd never buy a tesla say and others would never buy vw etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Yes, it's max 11kW on AC chargers. That or lower is the standard in most cars.

Ah ok didn’t actually realise that . Do the IONITY / fast chargers do the 50 kw though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Yes, DC chargers will do up to 125kW I think it is - for a limited time under certain conditions anyway.

Another question if that’s ok - I haven’t charged it to 100 percent but based on 80 percent levels the max range before driving is about 460 kms if I got it to 100 per cent . Does this seem in line with average ?

• Advertisement

Oh absolutely, I'd be willing to say car owners are worse than console gamers because at least in the console wars there exists the possibility you can play on both (although I don't see many people queuing to buy an Xbox for Redfall 😏)

Cars on the other hand, most people can barely afford one and only after piling on huge amounts of debt

I think the thing to remember is that everyone has different priorities and different brands will meet those priorities to a greater or lesser degree

FWIW, I think a lot of people are a bit unfair to VW over the software, it's not great, but it does the job it needs to do. And I feel like some of the other features, like the matrix headlights, more than make up for it

That sounds a tad ambitious, but possible in this weather

The thing to remember is the GOM makes certain assumptions around the predicted range and one of those seems to be that your average consumption will drop over the course of the journey

This isn't totally unfathomed, when you start out you'll be getting the cabin to the right temperature and probably doing lots of stop and start traffic, while later you'll probably be cruising along a motorway at fairly constant speed

The GOM doesn't know about any obstacles along your path hiwey. If your journey is 400km to the base of a mountain, then 5km up steep roads to the top of said mountain I'd say you'll be scraping every volt you can get by the time you get to the top, if you even make it

Personally, I don't put a huge amount of faith in the GOM initially. I'd tend to look at the average consumption of your driving for a more realistic range

I do find during the course of a long journey the GOM "learns" and becomes more accurate. For example when I was driving back from Cornwall to Holyhead last year, I found the GOM pretty much bang on for the whole journey, probably because I'd done 900km of motorway driving a few days before that

Ionity and any other chargers providing 135kw or more will charge the car at full power under conditions

Those conditions are that the battery is very low (under 10%) at the start of the charging session and relatively warm, so you have to drive for a bit to self heat the battery

In other words if you slow roll to the charger you will be punished with a lower charging speed. The quickest way to get somewhere is to drive as fast as possible 😁

Obviously this has some limitations, one of which being that driving like the cops are chasing you is likely to result in the cops chasing you and sending you to jail

So my general advice is to just try to drive at a reasonable speed and you're comfortable with, pick a charger that has good chances of being available and charge to the minimum amount you need to get wherever you're going

The other important consideration is how much power the charger can provide. For example a 50kW charger, which is pretty common, will not even get close to the maximum speed the car can charge at

And even the higher power chargers can sometimes face limitations if the grid can't supply them with enough power. There's several chargers that seem to be limited to lower power settings, so even if the car is perfectly conditioned you still might not get full power

Of course depending on where you're going your choices could be severely limited, so like I said try to pick sites but their reliability as much as what power is available

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

Anyone experiencing the rear light bar fogging up? A month in and there is a reasonably large patch of condensation with dripping water inside the lens.

Yeah that seems to happen to me from time to time, think a bit of water might get in from the power washer

Doesn't seem to affect functionality and it disappears after a while

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭micks_address

the car doesnt seem to like water at all.. ive noticed a few days where there's been very heavy rain sensors and all sorts acting up.. emergency breaking etc kickin in unexpectedly

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Hi All,

New to the ID4 and EV. Got an ID4 for the Mrs (2021 1st 77kw).

Had a zappi charger installed at home today and just wondering if people generally use the schedule function in eco+ mode on the charger or use the timed charge function in the car i.e. "ready to leave home a 7am".

Also car is on 2.3 version of software. Dealer is taking it back for 2 DAYS!!! to update to 3.2. Can this be done at home over the air?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Charge it to suit you and your tarrif.

ID4 cannot be updated over the air unfortunately. Not currently anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Well Wear on the new car. Best to use the Zappi to schedule the charging until you get the car software updated. Early software was very flaky to schedule charging. Current version much improved. If charging mostly at home, consider a day/night meter if you don’t have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Battery in one of the keys died earlier today. My wife couldn’t get into the car. Took ages to pull the manual key cover off the door handle.

The car is just over 2 years old, has anyone else had the battery go that quick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Can’t comment on an ID.4 but on a VW eGolf with Kessy, the key batteries sometimes only last 12-18 mths. It seems to depend on having the key in close proximity to the car. The key and the car communicate with each other which drains the key battery. Might be wise to keep a spare coin cell battery in the glovebox. It’s probably a CR2032. Presumably they fail without warning.

Yeah I usually go through one coin cell a year. The wireless key fobs are always transmitting a signal to the car so they're pretty inefficient 😬

It should flash a warning message to replace the key battery before it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭boccy23

I have alternated between the two keys. I also find that cold kills it. I play golf so just stick the keys into the bag. During the winter, I would regularly get back to the car and no budge from the key. Would have to wait and warm the key up before it would eventually work. Trying to prise off the key cover is a real pain. Easier for me then to warm it up. But, in answer to your original, they seem to have a very short life indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

It’s only a few quid and about 20seconds to swap the battery - who knows what quality or age of battery they have in the fob when it’s new. Changed ours a good while back and it’s a Mar 2021 car.

Just make sure you don’t open the wrong side of the fob to get at the battery….right pain trying to get the seal back into place

cr 2032 did the job, might replace the battery in the other key while I’m at it

has anyone had the 3.2 update yet?

I've 3.0 since December from the test rollout VW did, and am wondering if it's worth booking the service to get from 3.0 to 3.2 (97GY) and the hassle it will involve.

I also see the car is due the battery module check (93P7), anyone have that done as part of the 3.2 update?

btw you can check what services are due on your car if you enter the vin here

What’s more annoying is that the car (software) didn’t warn you the battery was low. BMW warn you for a month before it dies!

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Was the battery module check not when they replaced the 12v battery and did the v2.4 update?

I've had that done, yet my vin check says it's outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Advertisement