Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Sorry but the regular viewer doesn’t give a toss about Twitter and just about watch the show and might throw in a vote for a song they like. Going off to research artists, who has time for that apart from the hardcore fans.

really we could have had Lorene in the national contest but she wouldn’t have gotten through because RTE either screwed up most of the performances or the performers themselves weren’t up to the job anyway. Most here wouldn’t have voted for her.

let’s say though they they did vote for her and someone like Wild Youth hadn’t been entered instead. Do you think we’d have the great choreography and stage visuals we have from the Swedish contingent? Not a hope. It would be plain and ordinary and she’d have enough hassle pulling off a good performance in the end.

Ok, a certain group took a dislike to WY because of their twitter presence and the bands actions and that’s fine. They weren’t popular with the Eurovision core fans, fair enough. It’s not why they didn’t make it out of the semi though. Wrong band, wrong song, wrong presentation and wrong approach overall did for them long before any of the choreographer controversy started.

One thing that struck me after last night's show was that certain songs stuck in my head for various reasons. It was the same for the National contest but nowhere near as strong. I was backing PIL because it was a heartfelt song but Lydon shat the bed with his performance so he rightfully crashed out. Of the rest the ones I remembered afterwards were the two guys rapping and Connolly. I liked the two lads who rapped but we wouldn't get far with them. Rap doesn't have the record in Eurovision to get them over the top. Connolly was a good song, an earworm and atmospheric. Funny I've heard Wild Youth's song more but can't remember it at all but can still recall a snippet of Connolly I listed to last week. Problem was that she didn't sing well on the night. Maybe her bad performance or RTE's fault but if she'd won there was ample time to sort out all that in rehearsals and it would have been fine. We got where we are though because a band with an inbuildt fanbase steamrolled everybody else and I think while I readilly admitted John Lydon didn't deserve my vote, I'd doubt the WY contingent were that discerning.

We need to go back to a jury vote with a national and international jury. Also, and more importantly, the shortlisted songs need to get put on the general radio station playlist nationally if we're going to vote as the general public. We need to give songs a chance to grow on us and make an informed decision. Really either allow the public vote to be well informed and based on giving the songs proper listens or just axe the public vodt altogether. Personally I think public voting should be binned across the board for Eurovision as a whole but we are where we are now and you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. Wide coverage for the shortlisted artists would benefit them as well and give them a good platform to build on. I really suspect I'll never hear from the two rappers again and most outside an interst in Eurovision would recognise the name Connolly by now. Indeed I've already forgotten the other entrants outside of PIL and the two I mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Yes. Generic is the exact word. I watched it again with my 7 year old son. He hit the nail on the head. He asked me “are they trying to copy west life”? There is/was hallmarks to their onstage ballad style of standing and movements etc.

Now no offence to west life fans but that’s a stale formula at this point. Worked well in the 90’s but today its a NO. It wouldn’t surprise me at all that irelands selection committee still thinking this is a sellable style even though it’s living in the past.

This year hopefully it’ll be a wake up call (although I’m not holding my breath)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Also Ireland’s lead singer looked like he was bursting to use the toilet when he suddenly broke into that dance (after he eventually came down the stage steps)

All kind of bizzare from beginning to end

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

The National final contest for Ireland this year on the Late Late was a complete embarrassment. All should be sacked immediately. Never mind the songs which were bad except for Connolly. Who in RTÉ thinks it’s ok for amateurs to perform on the big stage? Have they seen Eurovision today full of seasoned performers and professional dancers/choreography?!

If Connolly had won, no way should she be performing the song on stage, she doesn’t even do that for a living. The whole process is a catastrophe in RTÉ.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

If that Leila Jane song was performed well and had a good stage show, it might have squeezed through, before finishing 19th in the final.

If they didn’t sack him somebody would have outed him

I thought Connolly was a full time musucian? In that case it was doing a disservice to her to have her perform it. I believe that if they gave whittled the selection down to six songs then what we should be voting on is the full package so, in Connolly’s case, work with her and a panel of professional singers to select a professional singer and maybe help disuadevan enthusiastic amateur from doing it all themself. Realky, support the entrant to put the best foot forward in the interest of their song and our hopes as a country.

Right now it sounds like if you get through to the final RTE tell you good luck and you’re let get on with it. Even tge earlier comment about the head of the Irish delegation letting your man off with wearing the gold suit sounds like an absolute cop out. Surely those discussions should have been happening the week after qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,437 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

RTE say they don't have the money for a separate contest. Don't know what the interest would be,but they could sell tickets for a show in the 3 Arena or somewhere,plus advertising. Would it cost all that much?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,479 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

99% don't have a fuking clue what anyone here is talking about because this "controversy" only happened in a few sad sack culture war holes like Boards is becoming.

It was a non story and the reason we lost is because they were a non story of a band. Absolutely forgettable and anonymous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭jackboy

I actually think they are not that bad of a band. The problem is they were not true to themselves. Fake song, clothes, dancing and personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

Ahead of tomorrow's final, Finland's odds shortening across the board while some of Sweden's odds have drifted. Could we see Kaarija just edging out Loreen? Israel have really shot up the pecking order into 4th now, probably end up as 3rd favourite in the end. France meanwhile are gone out of contention according to the bookies after that dreadful clip on Tuesday's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

That’s just RTE’s standard response to everything. Easier to cry for more money than to actually improve anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,750 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 72,690 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Rumours of a very special guest at Eurovision tomorrow night.

By amazing coincidence, ‘Paul McCartney At The BBC’ is on BBC Four right now.

#justsaying

Who is this Paul McCartney? A nobody in Eurovision terms.

Its Jedward and Sonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,860 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Johnny Logan on The Big Eurovision Party tonight, in footballing terms if you had Messi, Ronaldo and Halland on the same team it wouldn't even be close 👍

En mycket god morgon, Europe!

(That’s ‘A Very Good Morning’ in Swedish)

;)

Spain in fifth?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I can't get the French song out of my head!!

Sweden aren’t all that this year. They’ll do well but it’s bland relative to others. Can’t see them pulling off the sim.

• Advertisement

Funny but the three songs that won’t leave my head are

Poland - Crap song once you’ve heard it 5 times I’d say but a serious ear worm and definitely helped by the performance

Austria - Fun song with that catchy chorus, great visuals and the two girls are great.

Australia - I thought these guys performance made everyone else look amateur. Nothing out of place and the song is a belter. Great stage show as well and it’s all a bit cheesy so that helps.

Don’t think my top 3 will win but please not Sweden this year. I don’t think they deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭archfi

I'm listening to Brendan O'Connor show on radio and he has Jedward on.

RTE (and Jedward who were on 'the panel' on the Late Late Eurosong show) are still saying Ireland's song was the right song...

Apparently, Connolly was too young (this from Jedward!)

RTE and the tv/radio in-group will NEVER NEVER change!

Take it off RTE for the love a'God.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Not sure how accurate this chart is

I thought there would be more talk of Norway winning it. Norway has 45 million Spotify streams with Sweden having 56 million compared to Ireland with 1.6 million

Come on Finland, Belgium, Australia ye are all a bit bonkers but in a good way.

Lithuania, France, Italy I hope ye pick up some jury prizes for vocals on those torch songs.

Slovenia, Norway, Austria, Germany, UK, Spain, Portugal I hope ye have fun on the big stage.

Moldova stop trying to summon Sauron.

Albania stop hassling me. There was drink taken and I dont remember how many sheep I promised for which daughter.

Sweden I hope ye dont win as I think trading too much on past glory.

Slavia Ukraine elsewhere - ye have bigger battled to return all your country to be like those picture postcards.

Dads set your alerts for Poland and Israel.

Acts I’m looking forward to tonight…

Germany

Australia

Austria

Norway

Finland

Belgium

and Poland, obviously. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭archfi

I'm actually missing the show tonight as I'm going out and no, I don't go out to stare at a telly all night (!) though I might be back in time for the voting.

My favourites, in no order, are:

Serbia (music/beat is great, singing meh)

Portugal (just great fun, great voice, no stupid awkward overboardness)

France (Ah, nothing beats a chanson in French, mind you she'd want to control the high note)

Honourable mentions for:

Italy (I take it back about it being boring, I had only heard a clip!)

Finland (rubbish really, but I predict a club banger this summer)

Estonia (really, really, really good voice)

Have a ball/excruciating time!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's terrific and she can really sing and perform.

Not getting the Spain love at all very shouty (I know it is a style of singing...but not to my taste)

Austria is extremely catchy but coming out first is not a good spot seemingly.

Australia I love too (fingers crossed for a top 10).

Realistically it looks like a two horse race between Finland and Sweden, I would prefer Finland, I can see the public voting for them, but juries will likely go for Sweden.

Ah of course those titans of music Jedward would go for wild youth. Have they so much as a co-write on any of "their" songs?!

Connolly was inexperienced but she wrote that song herself, I would far rather we sent her and failed, than send the bland mess Wild Youth put on.

• Advertisement

Yeah Connolly was inexperienced but as long as she was happy to be the song writer it was up to RTE as the broadcaster and custodian of our Eurovision flame to help her. So either give all the acts a few weeks boot camp on stage direction and vocal training or else give her some options for professional singers to take the song on and let her work with them to get it sounding as good as possible.

I hate the Popstars, whatever Idol format but to be fair those kids get training and actual skills imparted to them over their few weeks on the shows. The sad thing is they ended up being well rounded profession karaoke artists but maybe a though for a show is once the six songs are selected, do a six weekly episode show with them all going through boot camps or work on staging their entry. We’d get to know the acts and the songs. Important too to keep any bs phone voting out of it. I do know they might be a pain for a well known seasoned performer but at least everyone is putting their best foot forward then.

I also think that where there’s a band with an inbuilt fan base like wild youth there should be a handicap system in place, so every vote for WY counts as half a vote or something. Really it was very unfair on the other entrants. Again a Developmrnt show might counter this as well.

Post edited by squonk on

Advertisement