Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

821 billion of which is us apparently. The %gdp really distorts the picture in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Initially I was skeptical, but OSINT have been comparing this stuff, and the "core" warhead plus other sections (e.g. the fin) are really starting to look like they came from a Kinzhal. The flipside is, no one can identify what it alternatively is, except for similarities to a dumb munition, which would have been odd since it was recovered in Kyiv. Also, the Pentagon have confirmed it - if it's easily disprovable then that's egg on their face.

The KH-47M2 is still a ballistic missile, and reportedly part of it's flight occurs at Mach 2 or 3, which puts it into the scope of an anti-ballistic system like the Patriot.

Not 100%, but leaning towards Kinzhal for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

We've had a poster state the kinzhal missile is just a ballastic missile but state a patriot system cannot shoot one down. 🤷‍♂️

When confronted it's a debate about PAC-2 vs PAC-3 missiles used🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭SteHam

You seem to have a very hard time admitting when wrong.

The majority of Nato countries or the Eu have not increased their military spending,

Why ???

The Eu and Nato countries will move on and won't see Russia as any threat after what they have seen in Ukraine,

Life will eventually move on this is the EU

That was your claim starting all of this. This has proven to be completely false so you are wrong. It does not matter how much you want to twist and spin, you are still wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,442 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Take that for what it is.

I could see how if you could detect it and it was coming near or right at you the PMS would have the chops to intercept it, however by the skin of its teeth that might have been.

Questioner: I just wanted to double check, you did confirm that a Patriot downed this Kinzhal missile?

Gen. Ryder: Correct.

Questioner: Did I hear that right?

Gen. Ryder: Correct.

Questioner: Was this a U.S.-provided Patriot or one from the Dutch or Germans?

Gen. Ryder: Yeah, in terms of those kinds of operational details, I’d refer you to the Ukrainians.

Questioner: You can’t confirm if the U.S. Patriots are now over there?

Gen. Ryder: The U.S. Patriot is over there.

Questioner: It is? So you’re confirming that …

Gen. Ryder: I’m confirming U.S. Patriot system is in Ukraine, but in terms of which specific battery they employed, whether it was a U.S.-provided, Dutch-provided, I’d refer you to the Ukrainians.

[…]

Questioner: Also, I just had a quick follow-up on the Kinzhal. Is this the first time or the first intercept of a hypersonic missile in combat? And do you have the date of the intercept?

Gen. Ryder: I don’t, and again, I’m not going to get into the specifics or trying to characterize it, other than, again, to say we can confirm that the Ukrainians took down this Russian missile with a Patriot missile defense system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

What a cluster **** as the yanks would say. The Russians spend months making minimal gains in Bakhmut, then in the space of a day or so the Ukranians make 3 kms. I think the head of Wagner knows his outfit is being set up to be the fall guy for Bakhmut. I think some in the Russian MOD now want Ukraine to win in Bakhmut to weaken Prigozhin for good. Vladimir himself might want this too. I also believe that things are going to reach a tipping point in Russia by the end of the summer. It maybe that those close to Vlad will try to oust him by that stage.

You say fall guy and I just think

Which you know, completely tracks Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭briany

The Russians must have an actual fetish about sustaining heavy losses for minimal gains, like it's a badge of honour, like abject suffering is the only real way to live and get things done. Well, they've been getting their wish in this war. Their army has only moved forward in one spot since the end of last Summer, and those gains have been metres per day over eight months. It's pathetic. You know it would wound Putin deeply if Ukrainian forces were able to reverse those hard-fought gains in Bakhmut within a short amount of time. A stinging psychological blow.

The diagram - in it's original form - was a speculated blueprint of the Kinzhal, several years old. (It's not a real blueprint for obvious reasons.)

When it was apparent that whatever fell was too small to be a Kinzhal, someone (for whatever reason) crudely doctored the original diagram to put something of the approximate size and shape inside the diagram. It fooled some less technical posters. From an engineering perspective however it is absurd, you can't just put something where an engine and fuel tank would be and say "see, it fits".

I don't claim to identify what was photographed. I don't claim any great knowledge of the Kinzhal, certainly not what it looks like inside. I view the claims with skepticism. But I don't discount the possibility that one was shot down.

On this topic I see many people with little knowledge of missile construction (or engineering in general) confidently identifying things they haven't got a clue about, or pulling random doctored photos off twitter to prove one another right/wrong. It's unproductive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Really interesting news of a Friday evening. A direct hit on target outside of himars range with the help of a long range decoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Remember they have different munitions could have been JADAM too ,

I agree the blueprint scales must be off, but the engine and fuel are in the normal places, with the warhead at the front, looks easily small enough to fit in the front section outer shell, not sure I get this point?

Also let's say this is a piece of propaganda by Ukraine, why wouldn't they just fabricate a Kinzhal nose cone? Why would they go to the effort of creating something that doesn't look like the outer part of the missile?

There's a third possibility that it's an Iskander warhead, and so is the one found in Sept last year, but having seen some limited pics of Iskander warheads, they don't appear to match up.

Taking the last few sentences the actual video was posted a few days back,

Which is exactly what was said,

But the story has now dropped off it's gone from patriots intercepted a kinzhal and a few individuals trying to doctor the evidence to support it,this all started on a single social media account and got rapidly parroted around as fact where it couldn't be challenged because people became instant experts on a missle that's not hypersonic as claimed and the patriot missle systems,

Again your wrong ,

And yet the basic knowledge of what actually happens when a patriot missle intercepts another missle it non existent,

People are taking what they read on Twitter and not having an concept of what actually being claimed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

That they used the decoy might suggest it's something more valuable so they wanted to ensure it got it's target. Just speculating optimistically.

In the original photo without Klitschko it shows numerous bombs and missles recovered,it could be a simple case of someone putting parts together and getting something that looks similar

Wow way out there.

Let's simplfy for all our sakes.

As you pointed out numerous times, kinzhal is just an air launched ballastic missile. Winderfaffen.... I believe the term you used was.

Ukraine has received Patriot AA. Regardless of being the PAC-2 or PAC-3 variant, do you believe Ukraine can intercept an air launched ballastic missile with the tools they have now?

I mean claims that this is edited are not in a word, wrong.

And showed up online within the last day, only after the reported strike. Completely different size cross hatch (this did not originate from the same scale technical drawing) and it's just slapped over some kind of frustum-shaped subassembly (circled in red) and there appears to have been some whitespace around the object they pasted in, you can see it excludes some line art on the frustum on both sides.

Though the size of ~1.5 meters is basically right based on the lad standing with the object. Here you can see Hitler's doppleganger work on a W80 intermediate yield US nuclear warhead, roughly the same size or smaller, and capable of a 5 to 150 kt yield (the Kinzhal being said to be capable of holding a 5 to 50kt warhead).

Of course for what little the armchairs know, it could still be accurate information poorly illustrated, and depending on how the missile disintegrated on interception could have survived where the outer casing did not.

Enlighten us please.

If it's a PAC-2 it detonates infront of the target and the shrapnel damages the missile.

PAC-3 aims for the warhead and uses kinetic energy to destroy the target.

The later is moot as you claim there's no evidence Ukraine recieved PAC-3 missiles.

So please, enlighten us. And if you can identify the debris that Ukraine claim (or the official claim - you have a history with wording) is a kinzhal missile

Indeed. My question is - if this is a warhead from something else, then what is that something else? It should be recognizable as much of the Russian arsenal isn't a secret (unlike the Kinzhal)

So far no one has positively ID'd it except for internet armchairs who've gone through Russian munitions photos and found a dumb munition that "looks the same shape" as it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

Russians don't retreat, its a punishable offence to even use the word. They make "plans"...😁

In simple terms,

Take one missles traveling at Mach 4 (4× the speed of sound)

And another missle traveling at Mach 4 + and Intercept each other,

Explain how you end up with intact missle been recovered,

Have you provided any evidence to show pac 3 patriot missles in Ukraine,

No, yet I posted the video and images showing pac 2 patriot missles in Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

It's unusual,

We've not seen the Ukrainians use them before,

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

He's completely lost the plot.

Maybe Putin has left him there to die.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

Perno Ricard to stop operations in Russia

Took them long enough but in reality they weren't breaching sanctions, despite the numerous claims made that they were,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement