Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barristers crying about legal aid fees

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

😅 Robbing TVs is a very 1980s offence, back when televisions were quite expensive relative to income. I can't even remember the last time I even heard of anyone's TV getting robbed, and I suspect thieves don't even bother any more, not even off yer granny.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

My house was burgled in 2009. They took my TV along with a pile of other stuff. In and out through the front window. One of the pillow cases was taken too. Not the pillow, just the pillow case. We reckon they used it as a sack for the bottles of perfume, jewellery etc. that they also took.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

lad they will rob anything they can take, TVs can be anywhere from 500 to 2000, dead easy to shift on

i know people who had fridges taken, some of them can be nuts prices too, it wasn't a candy

i mean of course they prefer cash jewellery etc but sure thats thin on the ground these days

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Everlong1

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

20 year old article?

I'm sure you could have found something more recent.

Again no one said Ireland didn't have crime or criminals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Many in the legal sector earn a lot less than is commonly perceived, the average guard earns as much and more than the average small time solicitor and with a far lighter workload

The first article is from August of last year. Today's online Irish Times has an article about Temple Bar business owners complaining of a surge in drug crime. Is that recent enough for you? Unfortunately it's behind a paywall so I can't link to it. I'd assumed that the Indo story was from the same source as the Irish Times article but didn't realise it was from 2003 so fair enough, my bad.

As to your earlier comments about how we should "Invest more in social supports. Drug rehabilitation, decriminalisation, mental health services, education, sports, activities, etc." - we've been taking the "hug a thug" approach for decades now. The evidence of how effective that's been can be seen on the Liffey boardwalk and other parts of the city centre every day as hordes of the city's drug addicts congregate to enjoy their methadone high while they intimidate and pester the decent working people and tourists trying to enjoy what should be one of the city's finest amenities. But feel free to continue denying that there's anything to be concerned about.

As to your earlier comments about how we should "Invest more in social supports. Drug rehabilitation, decriminalisation, mental health services, education, sports, activities, etc." - we've been taking the "hug a thug" approach for decades now

Nope, we have chronic underfunding at all levels of rehabilitation and mental health service, again not my opinion.

Ireland statistically is one of the safest countries in the world, probably one of the reasons we get so many visitors as you mention.

Again no one is saying Crime or Criminals doesn't exist, but I assume you have left the country at some stage right? Or maybe not. Crime exists in other countries too. Mind Blown.

The Liffey Boardwalk does not represent the entire Republic. I thought that would be obvious.

The average solicitor earns a lot more than the average garda with a much lighter workload

you have that back to front

• Advertisement

The average guard brings in over 60 k per annum, solicitors put in long hours, most guards don’t , in many parts of the country a guard is coasting or avoiding work as his main priority

its 55k for a garda, inc overtimes

its 75/80 for a solicitor and much higher if you want it

they aren't out doing favours for people doing long hours when they charge by the feckin hour 😂

many small town solicitors are earning modest sums , the big firm salaries drags up the perception in people’s minds

the numbers on very big money is over inflated

thats the average for a garda, there are some bigger earners there too

I mean you work for yourself so if you suck well

at 250 an hour, you don't have to do many hours to get by

Many times. I'm assuming this is some half arsed attempt to have a go at me by comparing me to old Travis. Must try harder.

I've never tried to pretend that Ireland is some lawless shi*hole and yes, I travel frequently to both London and Paris every year. Both cities have plenty of addicts and petty criminals but you don't see them congregating in hordes or openly selling drugs in Hyde Park or beside the Arc De Triomphe and the Eiffel Tower. Certainly in Paris anyone attempting that would be beaten off the street and rightly so.

I'm sick and tired as well of hearing the official line trotted out this about how the statistics show crime is going down, we're the safest city in the world etc. The dogs in the street know full well that many people simply won't bother reporting many incidents of crime because they know full that nothing will come of it and they'll only waste their time and everyone else's, unless it's essential for an insurance claim. And just because the country hasn't descended into some Mad Max type dystopia doesn't mean that we should sit back and pretend everything is hunky dory. I'm sure the husband of the murdered Mongolian woman, Urantsetseg Tserendorj, who was stabbed to death by a 14 year old as she was walking home after a hard day's work, might have something to say about all this. The backstory of that 14 year old makes for some reading. He was born addicted to drugs after having the misfortune of having two drug addicts for parents. No doubt their parents were probably addicts as well. More wonderful products of our fabulous welfare and justice system. Generation after generation of it.

And by the way - not that it's anyone's business - I've had my own problems with addiction and mental health. I got help for both, got sober and am now on anti-anxiety medication. Which of course I have to pay for myself as I work for a living and have done since the day I left school. What I didn't do was go out and rob, rape and murder anyone and then blame DE GUVVEMENT for not helping me enough. But of course the concept of personal responsbility has all but disappeared now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It's also important to know where the income is coming from. I don't know about now a days but in the past a big slice of it came from property related work with legal aid padding out the gaps.

And it is also worth pointing out we are talking here about barristers fees and they are not often involved in the biggest chunk of the legal fees earned by solicitors.

Is it Paris, Texas you're talking about? Because Paris, France is absolutely spilling over with drug addicts. In fact the Champ de Mars district around the Eiffel Tower is full of crackheads and they must have all been on holidays on the Cote d'Azur for you to miss them.

London is the same, visible drug addicts everywhere you look in central London.

Thanks, appreciate it. Ten years and counting, with the help of AA.

• Advertisement

There might be individual addicts lurching around that in that area of Paris but you don't get the same congregations you do in Dublin. Unless French addicts have their own savoir faire and druggie chic that their Dublin counterparts don't have and that's why I don't notice them. I visit that area almost every time I'm there and most of the street trade I see consists of rows of African guys hawking the same tatty souvenirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Everybody knows that the job of a defending council is to fight 100% in the interests of their client, yet you have endless people dying to put the boot into them for "defending scummers" or whatever. It's their job. They should be commended for doing it well.

Again I'm actually wondering have you ever been to Paris. That area, and it's not alone, is riddled with crackheads. Champ de Mars is a crack dealing hotspot. Paris has a major crack cocaine problem that is visible city-wide.

You're premise of the supposed uniqueness of Dublin's visible drug problem falls apart with a minor poke of a stick when you're putting up Paris, the city in Europe with probably the most severe crack epidemic as you're sparkling comparison to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

The problem seems to be not that baristers on average are paid little but rather that money is not distributed fairly among them. The cause of this is that the profession operates as a cartel or a closed shop. It needs to be opened up and liberalized.

Here's the rub: If you found yourself up on charges, or indeed your solicitor was seeking an advocate for a major civil case at your suit, you'd want a barrister that is an expert in that discreet area of law or at least has been under the tutelage of someone that was an expert in that discreet area of law wouldn't you?

You don't want some pimpled dork that is just out of the Inns course who doesn't have a clue what they're doing.

Big-time barristers earn their reputations very slowly, and the best ones are in very high demand for good reason. They have a combination of deep knowledge on particular area of law, and in-court skills that you wouldn't settle for less for if you were accessing justice.

I'd agree how they get there isn't entirely meritocratic, but there's enough merit there on the skills end that a bungled "reform" could see many people appointed with inferior or plain unskilled advocates for some woolly notion of equity.

It's a tricky one.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Possibly an external regulatory body would help rather than purely self-regulation as is currently the case. The current system provides extreme rewards for those at the top while at the bottom people work for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Far too many posters lapping up the hype which journos are clinging to over the drug problem in DCC, or any other part of Ireland.

The truth is that there are far more drug users harmlessly taking drugs these days than ever before. You never hear the journos complaining about those?

It is double standards and very unfair on all the respectable,hardworking and responsible drug users.

Advertisement