Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What immediately screams "tosser" to you?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Normally I can make a good guess by the context but haven't a clue here. I have heard slab used as a description of a tray of beer but not a car before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

You hear it in American hard boiled cops shows referring to laying out in the mortuary.

Then there’s that “good republican” lad up on the border.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Was on the dart once, some happy go lucky guy sitting across from me had the cheek to reach over and pull out one of my earphones because he wanted to ask me a question.

Gave him an earful on people's personal space/boundaries and that some people did not want to be bothered by other passengers, hence why I had my earphones in.

He acted completely bewildered and couldn't seem to understand why I was annoyed with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Grown men with baseball caps backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yes…..Irish version would be Land Discoverys and such like .

• Advertisement

Vernon Kay. Our survey says, you're a tosser Vernon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,824 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

By calling themselves after British movies like you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

If you want to get down to it, most people are assholes in the world. Not all of course but it's just human nature.

So what screams tosser? ... just being around someone can be enough lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Men with either sunbed or fake tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭boardise

So you'd refer to people with a Ph.D , born ,raised and living in ,say, Rochestown Rd, in Cork , or the North Circular Rd. in Limerick as 'culchies' ???

This is uproariously crazy and drains the word of any real meaning at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

Cyclists who insist on using the road holding up traffic whilst the cycle lane is free right beside them.

Motorists who when turning right decide to stay in the middle of the lane whilst waiting instead of pulling to the right to let other traffic progress.

Customers in banks who despite banking machines being in operation for years now still can't figure out how to conduct their business holding everyone else up whilst they wait for help from a bank employee.

And my personal favourite people on airplanes who insist on standing up for 20 minutes whilst waiting to disembark, you ain't getting off any quicker than the rest of us idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

What does the PhD have to do with it? If you’re not from Dublin, and you’re outside The North, then you’re a “culchie”. And there’s nothing wrong with that, it shouldn’t be seen as an insult.

I’m aware that you lot have subsets amongst yourselves, you might refer to those above in Cork, or Limerick, as a “townie” or some such.

The word just means anyone who’s not from Dublin, or The North. Regardless of whether they live on a farm or in one of those big towns you call “cities”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,824 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's ok. Jackeen, culchie etc... I know it's expected for the likes of you to be fashionably offended at everything these days but it's just a bit of craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭pgj2015

People who leave mostly bad reviews for businesses, nothing is ever good enough for them. If the majority of your reviews are 1 star reviews, I would hazard a guess and say it is you that is the problem, not all the different businesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Anyone who identifies themselves with a title in life such as ‘youtuber’, ‘tiktoker’ and so on ? The fûck is that about ?

does that make me a boards.ie-er ? Facebooker ?

also this ‘creator’ BS…. You’ve posted a few videos on YouTube…. What have you created ? You filmed a squirrel climbing up a tree in your local park, touched the phone on your screen 2-3 times and because of ‘technology’ other people can view it ? A ‘creator’ 🤪

there was always a geeky smug arrogance to people with an obsession with social media / IT and it’s obviously still prevalent….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭djan

It's definitely overused same as with self-proclaimed entrepreneurs when in reality it's really a hobby.

However, if you're at it full time making some money then fair play and fire ahead, it's a legitimate career for many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭fluke

Young lads out in the sticks who drive tractors like they're Subarus.

Post edited by fluke on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Be right back

The tik toker wans from Florida who videoed themselves floating on air mattresses, or something similar on a Florida river and were suprised to come across an alligator. OH MY GOD, JESSICA. But the friend continues to film. Thankfully all survived! As seen on the Independent.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,759 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Good job the alligator didnt figure out how to toss the mattress over!

An honourary Darwin award lets hope it scares some sense into them.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Be right back

Exactly, who would have thought you might come across an alligator in Florida?!🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They got views and likes, went viral…. The possibility of death by Alligator was probably worth it they are probably thinking. Attention is a currency…

People who put up youtube videos where they "rescue" an abandoned puppy/kitten etc and put up the video with sad piano music, then you have idiots posting stuff like "im not crying, im just chopping onions in the comments. 🤮 they are all fake as well if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Give us a break! You are well aware that for many "culchie" is a synonym for a country bumpkin, that it's an Irish version of hick, hillbilly, etc. - you know that, don't pretend you don't.

You're also well aware that while some rural people identify as "culchies" (usually ironically) people from cities and large towns don't and don't like to be referred to as such because they consider it inaccurate as much as anything else - you know that! If it's a joke then it's about as funny as hemorrhoids.

So don't call people what they don't want or like to be called and don't punch down

I had a weird encounter with a guy in work with “phd” and he/him/his in his email signature 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

one of them in work.... 'Dr Gobdaw,phd,bsc,bl blablablabla they,them,it abcdefghi+' oh ask me bollix and fuerk off

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,901 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

Anyone with a cat as their Facebook profile pic.

• Advertisement

Anyone with those aggressive stickers on their car windows that say stuff like "get off my f**king ass", guaranteed to be driven by someone with serious road rage.

Advertisement