Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

I know at least 20 pl9ayers at minor would have scored that free. Absolutely brutal. Basic skills absent again can't field a high ball can't execute a 20 yard pass

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Todd_UnctiousGael

Very lucky to only get yellow for both.

Rising and striking has been poor all round, tackling very weak, Galway walking through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I think I've said it here before but we just don't have the coaches. The development squads have been loaded with Kilkenny hurlers from the golden years but are they coaches? What level of coaching have they done before being brought into the county. What hours have they logged and at what level?

The level of coach education in the county is laughable. I haven't paid much attention over the last 12 months but before that when they bothered to have a session it was just the usual Kilkenny faces rolled out.

We're too arrogant to go outside the county. We should be begging Kinnerk to come down and take a session for a Saturday, promote the **** out of it and INSIST that every club sends in, at a minimum, a coach from their U15 and U17 teams.

Eamon O Shea does a great session. There's countless coaches outside the county that should be brought down to do a Saturday. Once a month would be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭blackcard

Should have had 2 red cards. Lads trying hard but basic skills like ball control letting some down. The goal came from a bad loss of possession

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

I don't disagree with most of the comment but love these new "ANALysts" that appear out of nowhere all of a sudden. Young lads are doing their best and someone is telling them they are good enough to play county but unfortunately many are not. They need an adult to lead them but no one suitable is standing on the sideline tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭randd1

To be honest, the only thing to be taken away from that first half is that it’s a good thing Galway are in Leinster at minor because it’s laying bare that our coaching at underage just isn’t good enough any more.

It’s hard to know where the problems are, but we’re not producing players with even the basic standard of skills. Our first touch and striking, as it has been in the main underage since 2010 really, has been poor. If you can’t do those two basics right, you’re at nothing.

And far too often our underage players just lack those simple qualities.

Im also shocked at how often we’re throwing the ball, had the ref bothered we’d have easily coughed up 20 frees. What’s more disappointing is that while we’re getting away with it, we’re not making use of it.

15 years ago in 2008, we won everything. We’ve won 3 underage titles since. Something’s badly gone wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

Think ye are being a bit hard on these young lads, this is reckoned to be the best minor team that Galway have produced by Galway hurling people themselves and that's saying something. We know how good Galway minors are, sure they are winning way more titles than any other county and they are rapidly closing the gap on the roll of honour. Having said that I'll bet we will get a few off that team that will make good seniors and that's what it's about as Galway will win the minor again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Greg Kelly has been very good here in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

Yes Galway minors are a bit like Sweden in the Eurovision. You often don't here of many after.

Fair play to Kk chaps. Fighting hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Todd_UnctiousGael

Niland is head and shoulders best player on pitch.

Kilkenny forwards working ball better in second half

• Advertisement

Young Rabitte the real gait of the father.

My lord Niland some score

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Hurlarious

That was really disappointing. From early on it evident that Kilkenny were completely outclassed. While facing a superior side is no excuse, what was truly unforgivable was the glaring lack of direction from their management.

The time for change has arrived. Kilkenny, from the very top must take a hard look at their strategies, or lack thereof, and make swift adjustments. As for the back room team tonight, very poor. Buggy may stick to the cars. This teams potential deserves to be harnessed and maximised, and it's crucial for all in Kilkenny to instill a competent board who can guide us back the top table. The status quo is no longer acceptable. Change is not an option—it is a necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭blackcard

Enormous credit to lads for giving it everything even if they were over zealous at times. But the first touch and ball control was nowhere near that of the Galway lads, taking a couple of attempts to rise a ball cost us a number of times. Teamwork was poor also. This is the second time this year where I have seen 3 or 4 of the team going down with cramp after 45 minutes, you have to wonder why.

I still think a number of players can go on to play senior if they improve their basics and their conditioning

Some First post 😳 you do know Bergin is the manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

That Galway team are no where near as good as the one Canny's younger brother was on. The last day I thought their backs could be got at with the right ball and interplay and I am of the same opinion again tonight. Kilkenny really need to look at the delivery into the corners and diagonally. That's nit a lot to work on to five ourselves a fighting chance. Humping high balls into the corners us madness of the highest degree

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

If the Co Board do not wake up after this week what is going on.

Did I say he wasn’t.

Sometimes you meet a superior team. No use knee jerk blaming. All you can do is work and improve. It's a long game in terms of development. Since minor went to U17, these are just big children. So much ahead of them.

If it's me your asking, no you didn't but you registered at 8.45 and slated Buggy at 9.03 so I think it's personal (I'm open to correction)

• Advertisement

Tonight's result is not a knee-jerk reaction; it is a damning indictment of Kilkenny's underperformance in the past decade.

Let's face the cold, hard truth: Kilkenny has managed to win only one All-Ireland minor title in the last ten years. Cork went twenty years between winning minor titles, we are on a heading to do the same. This is simply unacceptable. It.is.not.good.enough.

It's time for everyone involved in Kilkenny hurling to take a long, hard look in the mirror.

We are losing the battle, falling behind while others counties surge ahead. The complacency and lack of progress are leaving us in the dust.

It's high time to reassess our strategies, reinvigorate our coaching staff, who have no question a dedication to the cause but poor application. Time to rekindle the fire that once made Kilkenny a dominant force. The war is slipping away, and immediate action is essential if we are to regain our standing in the hurling world. Right now, we are on a downhill curve and gaining speed. Address this before it’s twenty years between titles, which now is where we are heading.

That is a fair point. I can say it’s definitely not personal. I have lurked for a long time on this site but with the two defeats this week I had to come on and share the frustration I think we are all feeling. We have before redesigned the way hurling is played nationwide, it’s time to do it again, all credit to the hurlers but it’s just not working out and things absolutely have to collectively change.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

It's hard to know if Kilkenny are being left behind a bit re coaching or if the county board is to blame, I don't know enough of what goes on at that level of the game.

What I do know as a lifelong Kilkenny hurling follower is that we are not producing the kind of hurlers that won all Ireland's in the past .

Now maybe that's just a phase who knows. I would like to think we are just going through a bit of a famine and we will come good again. We still have a long way to go to reach corks level of famine.

Before lads come on here knocking young lads, have a think about it and maybe we just don't have them good enough in the county the last few years and we are just going to have to wait until a good crop come through. Just saying like.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Can I suggest our coaching issues might go back to the age 8 to 12 year old groups. This is a crucial time to learn the key skills of hurling, especially the 10 to 12 age group. It can be hard to get good coaches at this level as there is no limelight in it and often parents are too busy with work etc. Also they are not as many male primary school teachers so this may also effect things. Maybe our former all star hurlers could focus at this age level in their local clubs.

What’s very clear to me looking in from the outside is there is a palpable difference in underage coaching standards in Kilkenny over the past decade. When the development squad system was set up in 2001, other counties copied it, improved it and now the Kilkenny model has fallen vastly behind.

The success of Limerick's Talent Academies, set up by Shane Fitzgibbon, Liam Hayes, Eibhear O'Dea, Joe McKenna, Eamon Cregan, Joe Quaid, and Leo O'Connor, serves as a glaring reminder of Kilkenny's shortcomings. It's high time for Kilkenny hurling as a whole to take a hard look in the mirror and make necessary changes.

Do we try emulate Limerick's approach by honing young talent, elevating coaching standards, and fostering a culture of resilience and fierce competition or continue with a system that was setup over twenty years ago. It’s a difficult question but the discussion must be had.

Kilkenny's lacklustre performances both tonight and earlier this week demands a critical evaluation. The time for introspection and transformation is now. The failure to adapt is a sure path to irrelevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Marrooned

This question is opened to all and I hope everyone thinks about this. Who was the last man in Kilkenny to win a senior all Ireland that came up through the development squads. Answers please on a stamped addressed post card to the county board.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭conor05

Do the Kilkenny development squads work on running mechanics with their different age groups?

I read an article recently on the Cork and Limerick underage squads and they had coaches from athletics background teaching lads the basic running mechanics for sprint speed etc from the age of 14 to 17.

Looking at the under 20s Wednesday and minors tonight we don’t seem to have many speed merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

lads chill out a small bit , its u17 , its 15 , 16 , 17 year olds , judge them on later form this is tony foristal level normally , that galway team have a few generational players by the looks of it but as i say its far too early to judge

i would be slightly worried about the under 20s the other night though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

I'd agree although people do tend to overreact to underage results here at times. Personally think since it's an U-17 competition now that the Minor competition isn't anywhere near as Important as a future star indicator. Now it's not nice for the lads to lose as they did today but the result in the U-20s is more concerning as they're the players coming through in the next year or two and they didn't do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I think all avenues should be explored to rectify the current situation. One time everyone was trying to learn off of us so we should be doing the same now to try and improve. It’s all about learning. I would agree with the running mechanics I have heard of this before and athletes telling us that most sports men in the gaa don’t run properly it’s all about small margins now and and little tweaks to gain an advantage.

Advertisement