Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only pottered about that first Sky Island, but was like sitting back in a familiar, comfortable chair.

One thing I'd forgotten that I think doesn't get mentioned about these games: the vibe, as the kids like to talk about. It's so chilled, it's bordering on cosy. The music obviously is the most obvious aspect, but all the ambient sounds, even the UI haptics and audio FX or response are just so gentle, calming even. I just don't feel stressed playing these games; they're perfect for unwinding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ultra hand needs short sharp presses as opposed to a long presses on the dpad Ive discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Also has anyone managed to build or do anything useful or creative (very) early on with those stations with wooden planks and wheels scattered around?

Basic wagon, fans on back, dragon wheel things, fire things for aesthetics, and a korok mounted on the front to hurtle uncontrollably along to his mate. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yup, that's the real beauty of BOTW and hopefully (most of) this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭jj880

When you get to Hyrule you are pushed in a certain direction. So of course I went the opposite way to look at a few shrines. They look mind bending for sure but hopefully more abilities will make things clearer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

BotW had the previous best ‘tall mapping tower in open world game’ but the ones in this are better again.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep they are so much fun. The thing about open world Zelda is that the towers don't turn the game into icon hunting but turn the game into an orienteering sim.

Played loads of this yesterday. The opening sky island is massive. When I hit Hyrule I explored a bit but was really missing the paraglider so followed the story until I got it. Whole world has opened up now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The sheer satisfaction of climbing, followed by the reward of a new area to explore, were a gaming experience borderline peerless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Without going into specifics of how these ones work, they’ve kind of inverted that experience to quite delightful effect 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Don’t think anyone is going to be grumbling about enemy variety this time, I’ve gotten decked by all manner of novel monstrosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just picked up my luggage tag today. Though they forced me to take a small weird tasting card as well.

Listening to the radio in the car and they played Eurovision winner Why Me and the opening with the piano tinkling made me think of BotW. Who knew they ripped off a Eurovision winner? At least Ted and Dougal ripped off a b-side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's amazing that it's been 7 years since botw and we are still getting absolute open world dreck like red dead 2 and the Sony and Ubisoft games. It really should have been a wake up call to these companies and yet here we are 7 years later and another Zelda game is showing them up.

Hell the only open world game I've played that took mechanics from botw on boards was sonic frontiers of all things.

Yep the bestiary is excellent so far. I'm just hoping the end game isn't too damage spongey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I spent ages trying to get a crystal from 1 sky island to another with only the stuff I had in capsules.

Wing thing with fans and balloons and burning sticks and I have up after 30 mins of falling off to my doom 🤣

I'll be back when I get rockets 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Just discovered which ones were the rockets entirely by accident. Luckily was able to fish my creation out of the river.

Just did the Fixed Device shrine. The game’s a glorious troll of a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

That Sinakakawak shrine: An Uplifting Device had a pleasantly simple way out in the end. When you have so many tools at your disposal it's hard to avoid over thinking.

I looked at my phone last night and it was 12:40. Decided I needed to stop playing but had to see what was just over that hill.

Next time I looked it was 02:40. Going to be a few days of grumpy retr0gamer on work for the next few weeks. I'm shattered this morning and decided to not bring the switch with me for the weekend as I've played enough!

It doesn't even need to be a Zelda clone like they tried with Fynx. Just bring in some physics and an open world with a bit of thought put into it where you've got nearby interests while still taking you on your route to your next objective.

Having said that, it is still possible to wander off course. I stuck a fan on one of those floating platforms, skipped over some sections and ended up on the snowy mountain. After brute forcing my way most of the way up (including finding a winding path behind a waterfall) I ended up not being able to progress because I couldn't climb the slippery cliffs. I lost about an hour and had go back on my saves. Which by the way can be risky as I noticed the auto saves will overwrite your manual saves. Wander for too long and you could lose the ability to reset back to before you want a wandering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 srcmtrl

Fair, although I agree with you. It is amazing, I haven't played a game this long non stop and not been bored in a while. The way everything interacts with each other and how unexpected things manage to happen always makes me laugh, truly amazing. Feels like a true playground whilst also having a good story (from what I've seen so far). I just can't wait to continue unlocking new zonal devices, those things are super fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

My daughter has the switch and THE game 😒. Which is ok ...

honestly think it's amazing but I definitely have open world burnout. Which I didn't have with BOTW as it was my first open world game and have played a few since. Will clear off a few real world side quests and get to this after the summer.

The decent into Hyrule is beautiful. Finally they got the sky diving right from skyward sword 😁 Hyrule is like an old friend. 😁

Went for a real world walk today. The draw distance was terrible (the old fog trick) and I got anxiety trying to figure out what I needed to build with these trees ...😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Picked up my collectors edition today after misjudging the opening hours yesterday and arrived at GameStop after they closed at 6pm. Had to pay extra for the CE there but the gold coin looks pretty great so that took the sting out of it. Can’t wait to get stuck into the game when I get a chance.

I got a gold coin with mine. Binned it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i Keep forgetting I can fly through ceilings and fuse stuff together.

was in one of the chasms and couldn’t figure out how to get out… forgot I can teleport😂 and I’ve pumped over 200hours into botw.

im finding the building things with ultra hand a little infuriating at times tbh. Don’t seem to be great at realising what I can add to somethin. But when I played Banjo Kazooie nuts and bolts I was useless at that too.

it’s also really hard to go back to no hearts and stamina.

the story seems way better already. The intro was fantastic.

so far I’ve mostly been spending time dying, going from shrine to shrine and the towers to try open up as much of the map as possible. The story can wait.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Finally made it out of the starting area and made my way to that Lookout place. I wouldn’t be as gushing about the game as most folk on here, it’s decent so far but very similar to botw, which I wasn’t a big fan of. A lot of time spent accessing menus to do anything I’m finding. This will be a struggle to stick with tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That opening sky island is brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Spooch

Ascend doesn't get talked about enough when it comes to the new abilities. It adds a completely new dimension to puzzles and challenges, amazing game design

Oh my god this game understands ballast. Had my first powered boat and it drifted to the left and got stuck in a fence. Shoot. So I went back to shore and had a look around and at the lake. There were a couple of barrels sitting around the shore.

Hmmmmm. 🤔

So plonked a couple onto the right side of my second attempt at a boat. Chug chug chug, across it toddled to the other side of the shore. not a single tutorial or side character shouting at me how to make a good boat; just a game that gave me the parts and let me figure it out.

Now. Maybe this would be too abstract for a less technically minded player to twig ... but god Nintendo know how to make games.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well have to try and not make that a habit. Started the game at around 6 yesterday evening and stopped at about 3. And going by the progress I've made, this seems like it's going to take a long time to finish.

Still keep getting the controls mixed up. I blame the fact the last few games I've played were on systems where jump was where B is for the Switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Spooch

You can actually change the controls to B to Jump and X is to Sprint

Advertisement