Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022/3 season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,315 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭johnnyk29

He has been probable all playoffs so I would say he is most definitely playing tomorrow night

Huge game tonight for Philadelphia I think this is the best ever chance for them to make the NBA finals since 2001....

Williams starting for Boston tonight, we will see are they championship material tonight. Looking forward to this game

• Registered Users Posts: 38,288 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So nervous, either dead or very much alive. Go Celtics!!!

They gotta change the way they defend Embiid and Harden, you just cannot read and react to those two. Too many fouls against high quality players on free throws.

They have to use Pritchard more tonight I think he could be a spark for you and Brown on Harden is key too

• Advertisement

Two point game heading into the fourth.

Tatum has been very disappointing tonight. He needs to turn up in this quarter.

Post edited by eagle eye on

Jayson Tatum had a clutch forth quarter scoring 16 points.

Back to Boston for game 7, let's go Celtics!!!

Jokic 4 rebounds, 5 assists and 14 points in the first quarter. Nuggets lead 44-26.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

81-51 at the half, that’s pretty embarrassing for the Suns, no excuses for that score

Also, was only watching sixers v Celtics in spurts so can’t give an accurate opinion but in the grand scheme of things, that’s a huge fumble by the sixers, they should of closed that out, fair play to Celtics and Tatum though, will be a great game 7 !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,689 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Is it finally fair to say Phoenix messed up just as much as Sacramento in the 2018 draft?

Ayton was a fantastic prospect and I still think he can become a great player, but Luka was still the obvious choice. They even had his National Team coach!

Tonight’s game should be good, bad news for Warriors as Wiggins is injured but still might play, rib cartilage fracture so will not be 💯 no matter what. Looks like Davis is good to go, you would have to fancy the Lakers unless we get game 6 Klay or if Draymond can come up with 15-20 points

It's a huge moment which could be the end of the Warriors great playoffs run and another series closer to Lebrons 5th ring

I think it could be a big Lakers win after hearing about Wiggins injury. I don't think Klay has the game 6 in his repertoire anymore

Davis playing is huge for LA and the Lakers know they need to end it tonight to get rest for Denver next week

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

My Boston thoughts from the other day…..so many….

IMO, Boston are the best team in the league with the best and deepest roster - and I’m not just saying this because I’m a fan. To a near championship winning team last year they have added Malcolm Brogdan, and White has improved significantly. So what’s going wrong?

Ok, first things first. The coaching….I said it last Sept., there would be a price to pay for the Udoka sacking, and that’s come due. It’s psychological. The players feared him (in a good way). They do not fear Mazzulla, that’s obvious. They also respected Udoka. I’m not saying they don’t respect Mazzulla; but they certainly don’t respect him as much. It’s one thing when a former NBA player and a respected coach over you; it’s altogether different when he hadn’t played at that level and he’s younger than your starting centre - youth shouldn’t be an issue but of course it is. It’s human nature - you’ll play harder and with more intensity for someone you fear v someone who’s “nicey nicey”.

Also on coaching….they didn’t just lose Udoka, they lost Hardy and Stoudemire too. IMO, Jay Larranaga should have gotten the job - and I’m not just saying this because I played with him. Jay was the No. 1 assistant before Udoka came in and then went to the Clippers. Mazzulla by contrast went from 4th assistant to the top job - I can’t recall that ever happening before. He also reportedly has the respect of the players, which I’m not sure Mazzulla fully has. Again, not saying the players don’t respect him, just not as much as others.

I’m not going to comment on the lack of timeouts and adjustments etc., as I already have in previous posts, save to say it’s bad.

Coaching again - watch the timeouts, Horford and Smart seem to be running them, not the coach. That’s a bad sign.

i saw a line today where someone said if Popovich was coaching this team they would coast 16-3 to a title. I find it hard to disagree with that. I’m not saying Mazzulla is bad, but he’s not great either. Maybe that’s to come, maybe not. I found it a strange appointment at the time, I still do.

Playing style: last year’s team was built on defence FIRST. This year that’s gone to the wall. It’s a different mindset to play D first, then offence. It sets a tone mentally and shakes everything you do. Boston’s defence was what that team was built on last year. They had the best ranked Defence from Jan - June Now it’s on the 3. Everything changes as a result….intensity especially. Take G1 v Philly. That was like a pick up game intensity wise - not a chance in hell that happens last year. Harden would have been picked up full court list of the game and run off a thousand screens to wear him down - like the Lakers do with Steph (and they are really “working” him). No easy buckets, and beat him up physically at every opportunity (screen) and just wear him out.

Timelord - I’ve said many times he’s not their best player, but he may be the most important. His court time has dropped significantly, why? To accommodate the offence, he’s not a scorer, but he’s arguably the best or second best shot blocker in the league. He’s also the fulcrum on which the whole defence is built. Smart got DPOY last year but he wasn’t even the best defender on his team, let alone the league. Reduce Williams’ time on court and you make your defence worse instantly. Look at the players reactions post game the other night and you’ll see how energized and excited they were with Williams back over 30mins per game (he was below 20 all year). They know what he means to their chance of winning.

Over-reliance on 3s. Just a little too much - I know their stats are crazy when they shoot over 38%, but when they’re bad…..they are VERY bad.

i have more but I’m exhausted and going to bed. I’ll return on this tomorrow maybe.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

Lakers were up by 17 in the first. They were up by double digits when they took Davis out and ended the quarter up by 5.

Davis had an insane first quarter with 9 points and 10 rebounds. That's right, that is not a mistype, 10 rebounds in one quarter.

**** this game, we are lucky to be down by 10, can Klay turn up ??? Not looking good

LeBron had it tonight, when it was most needed. This has been a phenomenal series by the Lakers as a whole and Darvin Ham deserves a huge amount of credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Lakers be difficult to beat from here I think if Davis stays healthy. Warriors really poor tonight.

Well that sucked, Warriors absolutely trash, Klay was atrocious, I feel like Kerr was too loyal, I would of pulled Klay and switched things up, easy to say from my sofa but just felt like we were shooting like crap and needed to switch it up.

Fair play to the Lakers, they were the better team and got a lot from the role players

• Advertisement

I’m genuinely surprised the Lakers won the series. As I said from before the series started Davis (not LeBron) was the key to the series and so it proved. LA had a few things go their way re. scheduling and rest etc., but you still have to turn up and do it so fair play to them,

They will face a very different challenge with Denver however. Nice of the NBA to give the Lakers a nice rest period though!

The wider media (esp. people of colour who work in media) need to call him out on this BS. He’s a multi-millionaire acting like he’s oppressed. The whole thing is farcical. As you said he is a very bitter man. I’ve only listened to bits of him on podcasts but it’s all about how he was “done dirty” by the Warriors, how the white man is doing this and that, crazy stuff. If he was white and saying stuff like he does about other races he’d be cancelled immediately.

Lots of hard calls to make on personnel. Do you ditch Draymond and Klay (and others) and try and rebuild to give Curry one last shot? It’s the RIGHT thing to do putting emotion to one side, but I have a feeling they will be loyal to them and re-sign them. Klay will opt in so they’re kinda screwed on that, Draymond may do them a favour and walk. Look, I like Klay - it’s impossible not to like him - but he’s never going to be the old Klay again….to many injuries have taken their toll. Sighing Poole when they did yo a crazy contract when they didn’t need to was a huge mistake. Easy to say in hindsight but I (and many others) said it at the time. Poole had a great year last season but there was no need to sign him then! It was daft. If they had waited and seen how this season turned out he’d not be getting the contract he got and they still could keep him and not lose the asset!

the problem with their roster is apart from Curry their next 3 best players (KT, DG, and Poole) are way overpaid v current production, Because they’re so overpaid they can’t get a decent bench - and that’s even with the highest salary figure in the league, Then you have the Myers issue and what’s going on there.

They’re at a crossroads. They probably tried to be a little too clever in hindsight with the 2 time lines thing and they’re paying for it now.

Wow, that’s absolutely insane, my god he is such a narrow minded bitter man

Yea, some big decisions to be made, I feel like Curry will have a big say in things, it’s too early to predict what will happen, as you say the right thing to do is rebuild around Curry but Klay and Draymond have earned the right to stick around.

I would personally find a home for Poole, I don’t even care who we get in return, a poole for ayton trade would work for me

Its not the end of the world losing, tThe whole season was off so we can’t be shocked, Kuminga might be out the door also, I think there is a big issue with Kerr, Kuminga has a rep of being immature and sulky

• Registered Users Posts: 29,820 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Realistically, I'm hoping for a Nuggets Celtics final with Boston winning it but as a wildcard lover, I'm really hoping it's a Lakers Heat final :D

So am I with Lakers winning!! :) I have alot money riding on it :O

LeBron carried the team is what you seem to be suggesting. How about the guy with 20 rebounds?

• Advertisement

AD and Reaves were great, and super rotational minutes throughout from the entire team.

But LeBron brought the scoring, controlled the pace of the game, and impacted on defense.

Teams win games, but LeBron demonstrated a gear last night that we haven’t seen yet in the playoffs. Brilliant performance.

Advertisement