Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland's fake tan use problematic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Y2K bug existed also, but a lot of work was put into stopping it from manifesting itself and minimizing it's impact, thus it had no impact.

It was a job well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

The decline of Irish journalism from a variety of different reporting styles and perspectives into a kind of cultural leftist-neoliberal synthesis, with its own boilerplate vocabulary, has made individual journalists generic and replacable.

Activist-journalists believe they can roll over any political opposition by presenting their shared social evaluations as a 'consensus'. They do this deniably and so never reckon honestly with their own unpopularity and fading circulation - blaming this solely on technology.

Apart from that, the future society they desire is clearly one composed entirely of bureaucratic, technocratic and commercial relationships only with zero interference from nationality, religion or any kind of non-controlled culture or opinion.

See Stephen Collins telling off the President for questioning globalist neoliberal materialism, complete with waffle about how any deviation from this trend is a return to all the worst aspects of the 1950s. Note the reliance on political cliché and the refusal to even think about the possibility of organic communitarian ideals separately from the specific difficulties and social environment of 70 years ago.

Post edited by growleaves on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Good article here from Village magazine published recently which discusses fading trust in Irish media.

Excerpt:

'Consider our media's fixation with abandoning our hugely popular position of neutrality. Editorial decisions were clearly made across a suspiciously wide range of our press to try to shift public opinion. Since the outbreak of the Ukraine war, we've been subjected to countless editorials and opinion pieces telling us its "outdated" and "immature".'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭creedp

Agree, seems to me that the priveledged white male is one of the only class of person not offended or outraged about tripe said or written about them at this stage. Or more to the point they are not allowed to be so. Me thinks the State should fund free assertiveness classes for the rest to make them more resilient in the face of normal life's adversities

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Y2K bug existed and was already there. Millions of man hours solved the problem before it hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Any sun tan apparently is bad for your skin. So if it avoids people sitting in sun to get a sun tan the invention is helpful. Personally I dont find it attractive at all. Not asmuch as i find those fake lips that make you thinks that their ex was Mike Tyson. Do any people find them attractive??? And what is also with people putting so.much filters on social media pics that they look like zombies. I dont get all this.

IT journalism is going down hill if they are trying to imply only women use fake than or sun beds. Why couldn't the journalist say "people who use fake tan" rather than "women who use fake tan"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭blackbox

As far as I am aware, fake tan is temporary and harmless to both the wearer and the viewer.

If it makes people happy, let them get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I reckon the IT will run with a "Sophisticated hoax, seeking to spread division", probably with a tacked on mention of the dangers of AI and potential reference to the alt-right.

The government and media know that traditionally it's seen as a good thing to have debate, discussion and pluralistic points of view within a society. It's hardly a coincidence that governments and societies (past and present) which have the least tolerance for public discourse, have little tolerance for a lot of things and are most likely to visit death and suffering on their citizens.

As a result, the government and media want to be able to say they facilitate diverse views and debate, but they don't want to actually have diverse views and debate. After all; those who disagree with you are wrong, and the proof of their wrongness is the fact they've disagreed with you. Their views are wrong by definition, and it follows that they're illegitimate or morally repugnant.

So how do they square this circle of wanting to look like an open tolerant society, while also shutting down any views contrary to the government/media consensus? The answer is to call the alternative views "divisive".

Flat out saying that your opponents should be silenced isn't a great look, so instead you dress it up as "divisive". It's not enough to simply acknowledge that they have an alternative view, and to persuade others of the merits of your view. The other view is to be treated as totally illegitimate and is to be censored. The implication is clear: "I speak the truth, anyone who disagrees with me is a small minority seeking to spread hate".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's a complete red herring. Journalists are almost certainly using the likes of chatgpt to write the outlines of their articles at a minimum and then building from there.

The problem isn't the AI, but that the IT saw fit to publish an opinion piece that at its heart was an absurd argument. Secondly that they didn't perform any checks on the author. A Gmail address was enough. Its the most basic stuff really and would make you wonder what other standards have been let slide. Do they verify sources? Is what they publish factually correct? Can the paper be trusted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Well if sun was bad, then how did our ancestors get Vit D which the sun is required for...unless your consuming liver

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

Exactly, the IT will present this as "an attack on press freedom by the far right" - there have already been several of the usual suspects on this thread pushing that angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Kind of. Yeah, it is broadly harmless, and no one is talking about banning fake tan.

But there is a valid question as to why usage of fake tan is so proportionally high in Ireland. What does this say about the expectations that social media is creating for young people, mostly young women, to spend more and more of their less and less incomes on meeting strange expectations of appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

That's can be literally said about a great number of social norms...

Like having to wear a suit at a wedding, women having to wear high heels, women having to wear makeup...all of this is pushed for a number of reasons...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Kind of. Yes, you could say the same about those things, but the extent of excessive fake tan usage does seem to be particularly high in Ireland, unlike the other examples you mention.

All of this is pushed by retailers and advertisers for the reason of making money, like the whole fashion industry, which sells the big lie, particularly to women, that they'll be happy if they just buy one more product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Also would the ‘journalist’ have been paid? Are people paid for opinion pieces. If so, any idea how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Blut2

Fake tan was even more common in Ireland 20 years ago, before TikTok, Instagram, Facebook or even Bebo. It far predates social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I've just written a script outline for the next Martin McDonagh film with the help of AI and inspiration from fake tan and Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Once upon a time, there was a small village in rural Ireland where the people had pale skin that glowed like moonlight in the mist. They were proud of their heritage, their customs, and their unique beauty.

One day, a traveling merchant arrived in the village with a bottle of magical elixir. The elixir promised to darken the skin and make the villagers look like they had spent long days in the sun. The villagers were curious, and some of them were tempted by the possibility of a new look.

At first, the villagers were cautious, applying only a small amount of the elixir to their skin. But as they saw the effects on their friends and neighbors, they began to use more and more, until their skin was a deep, unnatural shade of orange.

As the villagers paraded through the streets, showing off their new look, they began to notice that some of the neighboring villages were looking at them strangely. They felt a sense of discomfort, as if they had crossed some invisible line.

As the days went by, the villagers began to realize that they had made a mistake. They had been so focused on changing their appearance that they had lost touch with their roots and their cultural heritage. They had forgotten that their pale skin was a symbol of their history, their struggles, and their resilience.

Worse still, they began to see that their use of the magical elixir was seen as a form of cultural appropriation by some of the neighboring villages. They were accused of trying to appropriate the look of other cultures and races, and of perpetuating harmful stereotypes.

The villagers were shocked and ashamed. They realized that they had made a serious mistake, and that their actions had consequences beyond their own village. They vowed to return to their roots, to embrace their heritage, and to never forget the lessons they had learned.

And so, the village returned to its peaceful ways, and the villagers learned that true beauty comes from within, from embracing who you are and where you come from, and from respecting the cultures and traditions of others.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This is absolutely hilarious 😂

I for one welcome our new AI overlords

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

People who live and work outdoors have been dying of skin cancers for many many years . It is among one of the cancers that reduced life expectancy for many working people in the past .

Long before sun factor protection was invented or thought of.

Women and men who worked in the fields or on boats wore head cloths that covered their necks , widebrimmed hats and long sleeved shirts . However these were the people who were most at risk of developing skin cancers . Not the more wealthy.

Nobody fashionable tried to 'get a tan ' before the 1920s when Coco Chanel and the likes made it popular.

It was considered uncouth and low class before that.

It then became a sign of affluence that you could afford to go to foreign climes and get a tan , and keep it year round if possible .

Yes , people ate liver and offal if they could get it . But rickets was endemic in people who could not afford to eat well ..this is disease from lack of vitamin D .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The Sindo is even putting the boot in on the IT. Apparently the IT is reviewing its editorial processes.

This is really damaging the credibility of the IT and it has even upset Fintan O'Toole. Next week's IT "technology" section should be fun. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,230 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

AI is just figuring out what YouTube grifters and shock jocks have been doing for years. Publish some makey uppy bollocks with a healthy dose of strawman nonsense and get the simple minded all riled up and pissing and moaning about "tHe lEft" and (I can't believe I'm about to say this) "Communism".

CAPTAIN'S LOG:

It must have happened, but I can't remember when. But I've somehow landed on Clownworld. I need to find out where I parked the spaceship and get the fuck off of this planet as quickly as possible.

On a serious note though. It's a relatively portentous learning moment on just how dangerous all of this AI business may get in the future. Imagine for a second that it was a important news item about a real world event.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Y2K only wasn't a disaster because massive amounts of money and massive amounts of effort were put in to ensuring it wasn't.

Had people taken the approach that it was going to be a non-issue, rather disasterous things were going to happen. Maybe not aircraft out of the sky, but you were going to have powerplant shutdowns, banks incapable of operating and so on.

First signs that Y2K was going to be an issue were US banks unable to issue new 25 year mortgages in January 1975 as the loan maturity date was now January 1900. It was known to be an utter disaster if not sorted; so it was sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Yeah.

If I told you your wiring was bad and it was gonna start a fire. And then you spent a thousand euros fixing the wiring to protect a 300k house.

Is the lack of a fire after the upgrade proof that the wiring was never bad after all?

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

So this wasn't simply just a case of the Irish times making a fool of themselves, but in fact, an elaborate ploy (worth losing their reputation over) to get clicks from....the alt right.

Sure, keep telling yourselves that.

That's not what I said.

But you keep telling yourself that. 😉

Would have been funnier if the "writer" was named Adrianna Ignacio-Boteres.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I would assume there's a different set of criteria applied to opinion pieces precisely because they're opinion pieces and not reportage. We don't have a case yet of someone duping the IT about actual news.

Advertisement