Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Newcastle losing to Leeds here and they still need to play both Brighton and Chelsea away. A loss here and to either one of those and we could potentially overtake them. Starting to look very promising here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Leeds early momentum bubble has burst. That pen miss was pivotal obviously. I'd expect Newcastle to go on to win this now as Leeds defending is atrocious, and they look so nervous everytime Newcastle get in around the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'd also think it's very unlikely, given that we expect at least three departures from midfield (Milner, Keita and Ox) I can't see us offloading either unless they really pushed for it themselves

Also, Klopp is famously loyal to his players (arguably to a fault)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

You want to release 4 centre midfielders in one window? In a window where we already need to bring in reinforcements in that position. How many are going to come in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Tbf 2 of the 4 midfielders in question (Keita and Ox ) are injury prone and are not available for huge portions of every season, they have contributed next to nothing this season, Milner is pushing on, his flexibility and leadership will be missed but, doesn't have the legs anymore, all three are out of contract. If Thiago was the fourth to go, it wouldn't be a huge loss either, has missed around 70 games since joining, ( that's around 40%) plus his on huge wages, is he worth the huge outlay on wages when he's really only available for just over half our games?

Post edited by Girly Gal on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,693 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

So much for Leeds holding the Toon.

Bamford scores his penalty and it's a different story unfortunately.

Hello hello .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,693 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Well done Leeds, I never doubted ye!

Shame it couldn't have been better (damn you Bamford).

Newcastle getting 1 point is better then Newcastle getting 3 points.

Brighton next for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’ve said it before, but if we win all our remaining games, I’d fancy us to finish third.

Those two sides above us are absolutely nothing special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I've lobbed a wedge on Man Utd to win today - you can thank me later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yeah, I used to hedge bets on that as well. Either you win money or you're in a good mood!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We've given it a good go but Utd winning and Leeds not seeing that out have probably done for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Tbh I think it's the best place for him,either that or sell,but I can't see too many willing to take him off us,we'd be lucky to get 30 to 40 mill for him

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Well it's a good job we aren't looking to sell him then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Chelsea away looks like the easist fixture in the PL right now so I wouldn't be getting my hopes up there. They are an absolute shambles.

• Advertisement

Newcastle -Brighton Draw - 67pts

Newcastle- Leicester Win 70pts

Chelsea -Newcastle Lose 70pts

My only concern is Liverpool reaching their 71pts max

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Even if Liverpool wanted to sell Thiago, one of the hardest sales in football is moving on older players who are on huge wages! Nobody is coming in to take Thiago off our hands and give him 200k a week...for that reason alone he won't be going anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Think we have a very decent chance of top 4 if we win our last 3 games. I think Newcastle will drop more points. Not sure about United. They have very favourable fixtures which might save them.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

Good day’s results for us. That was always United’s easiest remaining game. Wolves’ away form is poor. They have no strikers. Not much to play for.

Away to Bournemouth will be tricky mainly because Uniteds away form is so bad. Then Chelsea who are starting to score goals. They only need to win one of those because I can’t see them not winning on the last day at home to Fulham with CL on the line

Newcastle dropping points again is good for us obviously. The players and fans will be getting nervous.

The big thing is for us to keep winning and get to the 71 points. Do that and we’ve a real chance.

Hopefully Leicester are still fighting to stay alive when they face Newcastle, Leeds not winning today at least gives them a better chance of fighting for survival

Also just some schadenfreude; Chelsea are all but guaranteed a bottom half finish now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That Fulham one will be very interesting on the last day though, with Mitrovic now back from his ban and scoring today - they'll be desperate to spoil Utd's party after that cup game.

We were led to believe in the past say several years that the role of a striker has adapted, that you need to be a Firmino, a Kane, even Aguero had great build up play, to be able to be part of the play always, defend from the front, go wide, go left, go deep, go right, hustle, it was the ''excuse' why Ten Hag didn't play Ronaldo, the greatest player every to play some argue, that Ronaldo didn't work, didn't have any contributions to the team as a whole, but then Haaland came along into the league, and Pep, obviously found a way to play with Mr 5 Touches,

he now plays 3-2-4-1 , and allows Haaland to just stand there, waiting to pounce. The two goal keepers , and all the subs, even those whose came on late, had more touches than Haaland in the Real Madrid game, but it's the case in most games, does Pep bench Haaland, call him lazy, scapegoat him, no, he adapted to the situation, unlike Ten Hag.

Should Liverpool have a player like this in our squad, or would Klopp simply not tolerate it like Ten Hag.

The gap between what Haaland offers and what Ronaldo offered last season is a vast gaping chasm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

If City lose the CL semi then questions will be asked of Haaland and whether he is the answer, if they win and people will believe he was the answer all along. Along those small margins people will make up their mind on the position and City as a whole. I still don't know if he has improved them as a team as their weakness is still on the break as their style is still possession based that leaves them open to speed on the counter. What he does bring them is hopefully, or not depending if you want them to win, the ability to finish the chances they create. Like most things in life it will come down to the end product, will they win the CL or not. If they do then it was all worth it, if they fall short then questions will be asked. We will just have to wait and see how it pans out.

Should we change our style due to Haaland? No, because he is a once in a generation player. There aren't many 1.94m fast strikers with an eye for the goal that you can just snap up. You are more likely to end up with a Wout Weghorst, 1.97m, than Haaland so there you have your answer. If you can have 9 players that are brilliant at keeping the ball and have excellent technique to go with your 5 touch striker that is big and fast and scores loads of goals, then you are free to change your system. But only City have that luxury in world football.

Is it, you can't judge Ronaldo when on the bench at United this season, that is the point, but when on the pitch last season he was contributing at least the same, but in reality a lot more than Haaland who basically doesn't do a tap whatsoever week in week out, but if you give him service he'll score, as a Ronaldo would. They just don't miss that often these players.

Kane could do what Haaland does, and he would probably get far more goals, but he hasn't it in him to be happy with 5 touches of the ball.

It's just Ronaldo was very much going to City, before Alex Ferguson stepped in, it would have been interesting what Pep would have done with Ronaldo, but judging by what he has done with Haaland, he would have indeed adapted the team to suit Ronaldo.

Great point Liverpool should just get Haaland not sure why they didn't think of that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Haaland is almost a cheat code striker.

He has everything and utterly excels at most things his position requires.

Strength, speed, an eye for goal, positioning/game intelligence, confidence, ruthlessness etc.

As someone else said, he's a generational player. You can't really buy someone like him 'cause there's only one of him.

They are going to win the treble

Has broken every goal record.

He has undoubtedly improved them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

MacAllister having a bad game here. Looking nowhere near the £70m quoted to us. Constantly losing the ball and not doing much to win it back.

• Advertisement

They got 93pts last season

They're on course for 94pts this season

Is that much improvement?

At that level any improvements will be marginal, since they're pushing the boundaries of what's actually possible anyway. It's the CL where we'll see the difference particularly. He's just a completely different weapon to what they've had before in that sort of tight nervy competition.

They are in the final of the FA Cup.

A one goal win away from the CL final.

And what Rebel said yes. It is getting a bit sad trying to portray a +/- 1 point above 90 as some sort of evidence Haaland has made them worse.

Ah no, I'm not claiming he's made them worse. Obviously he's a machine and his goalscoring is great. Like Rebel said though, it's so marginal at that level, I'm genuinely not sure he's improved them much. The biggest difference signing him may have made is simply making sure no one else has him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

He can't have been too bad if they beat arsenal 3 nil? I didn't see the game though

• Advertisement

A couple of points either way from season to season doesn't really tell if a team has improved or regressed. Only where there is a significant difference (around 10 points) can you really say there's a difference. City got 93 points last season because we pushed them all the way. They can get 94 points this season, but, after Arsenal's defeat today, City only need 2 more points to retain the title, because of their superior GD, 87 points will be enough, so they might drop off now as they have the title in the bag with games still to play.

Last season they really struggled to get over the line, this year they are finishing really strongly. Are in the FA Cup final, favourites to win it and have their best chance of winning CL. So the treble is definitely on, if they pull it off it's safe to say he has improved them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

The only thing stopping the city juggernaut this year is Real Madrid. In a weird way I want the treble to happen to shine some sort of light on the financial doping that's been going on at city for a decade and that most don't seem to care about - remember the 100 plus offences where has that story disappeared to? Winning the league most years doesn't seem to be doing anything to highlight it so maybe the treble will.

If it wasn't for the background there would be a lot to admire about city and in fairness to them they have done everything right in terms of building club up, hiring the best manager etc but the whole thing is just rotten to the core on the financial side.

City finished very strongly last season as well tbf.

Two draws in their last league 9 league games and one of them was us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

From last year maybe, but City at their best they got 100 points, scored 106 goals and lost only 2 matches. This year they have lost 4 already and can only get 94 points and have lost 2 more matches already. To match the goals scored in that season they have to score about 5 a match for the last three. They may not even be more clinical as Haaland is scoring from more chances, yet the team is scoring less than they did when they were lacking Haaland. They were creating more chances before he arrived. Maybe you can argue that is because he is there and they don't have to create as many chances, I would say the matches where he has 6-9 touches disproves this as they are not trying to create less but because of him in the side it is just a progression in the way they play.

As for winning the treble, they have done that already when they won all 3 domestic trophies. They lost in the QF of the CL to Tottenham when they had scored a goal but was chalked off for a very unlucky handball at the end of the match. Small margins but they could have won 4 that year just like we could have last year. They are a juggernaut of a team before Haaland came in, I don't know if he has changed them that much to be better. They are still competing for every trophy like they have done for the last 6 years. Now if they were blowing teams away like never before I would agree that he improved them, but what he has done is make them into a different side to play. Not sure you can definitively say it is better from last year or even from their best when they scored 100 points.

Liverpool 18/19 - 97 points + European cup.

Liverpool 19/20 - 99 points + Premier League title.

Liverpool 21/22 - 92 points + FA Cup & League cup.

Arsenal 22/23 - can’t hit 90 points + no silverware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Haaland is a beast and its his first season, I hope tf he doesn't settle in next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It's very simple - IF City win the PL, FA cup and CL this season it will be the biggest achievement they have made under Pep. Getting to 100 points is impressive but winning the big 3 is the gold standard for any team.

Comparing point totals across different seasons and saying a team got 5/6 more points here means they are better is a massively flawed system. Nobody in their right mind would claim the 100 point season was a better season.

If City win the lot then Haaland will be hailed as the missing piece, Pep gets his first CL in over a decade, it will be KDB crowning moment in a City shirt and so on... This side would instantly be City's greatest ever team.

Once you have won the league title it means absolutely nothing if you end up on 85, 90, 95 or 100 points. Fans will argue it was more "dominant" or whatever but to sweep up the big 3 in silverware is far more dominant. That means you went toe to toe with every team that was able to compete with you that season and came out on top, you won! Not that you didn't drop points away at Brentford or Wolves.

That would be how I'd see it anyway.

Even a CL alone would top the 100 point season! The CL is the holy grail for them.

They were 2 nil down on a few occasions in the run in last season and on the last day of the season they looked in real trouble, they had to dig really deep to get out of those situations, that hasn't happened this season, they've hardly conceded in the league in the last few months and are serenely heading for the title.

• Advertisement
Advertisement