Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I love the Eurovision and watch it every year, but I have to avoid comments regarding it on Social Media. Some Irish people are very bad losers.

Even the band, one of them said "Its so unfair, they never give Ireland a chance".

Ignorant of the fact Ireland has won it more than any other country.

Also apathetic to the fact RTE don't want to host it again.

A neighbour of mine just posted on facebook that "its not a song contest anymore, its a talent show, and Ireland should just divert the money to the GAA".

I'm sorry, but the GAA get enough money. I didn't comment because i dont want to fall out with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,488 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Think Ireland should bring 'The Mary Whollopers' next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I often hear this argument that the lads from Dublin performed so badly because RTE is underfunded.

what exactly does this mean?

Does it mean RTE have to finance the stage show in Liverpool?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The winning country has to host it. And as the national broadcaster, RTE would have to host it, and they don't believe they have enough money to do that.

Maybe if they stopped paying Joe Duffy half a million a year they might have a few more euros in the bank.

I can't remember which year it was, 1997 perhaps? the Eurovision was hosted in Millstreet in Cork. The arena there was basically built for Eurovision but has brought in huge amounts of money since then and helped the local comunity.

RTE Execs basically live in Dublin Central, so dont see major benefit to hosting another Eurovision, but there are towns and cities all over the country who would love the oppertunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Definitely and tge EBU run the show and I’m sure would cover much of the expenses. Also there has to be massive revenues from tge sponsorship and televising. Maybe 30 years ago the host country got stuck with a huge bill but I’d say that isn’t so much the case now.

Really they’d rather pay DArcy and Joe Duffy hundreds of thousands a year for a handy weeks work by anyomes standards. It’s disgusting at this stage. Listening to them blest about needing more money is like hearing an alcoholic complain about not getting enough drinks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,473 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The national broadcaster doesn't pay anymore. The big 5 pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

RTE pay for the staging aspects of their own performance, such as costumes, pyrotechnics, the LED screen display, dancers etc.

I'm not sure I buy the funding aspect though. There seems to be a general lack of creativity and imagination with RTE and Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The idea that RTÉ are simply choosing not to win the eurovision because they don't want to host it is like saying Longford Town are choosing not to win the Champions League because they don't want to pay for the air travel to games.

RTÉ have traditionally been the most eager to host. Every other country who won the eurovision twice in 2/3 years declined to host again, except us, who hosted it 3 times in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,437 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I think it was the qualifying process that they said they couldn't afford a separate show for.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,748 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's a totally different contest to when we won it.

Countries can sing in any language - before you had to sing in one of your official languages, and English was an advantage for us.

Voting was opened up to the public - we seem to do better with juries.

Huge increase in countries participating means there's now semi finals for qualifying.

So I think you can draw a line under 'old' Eurovision and under the new setup we've not made a dent in it apart from Jedward (favourably) and Dustin (notoriously).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Yes, they were claiming it was too expensive to hold a standalone National Song Contest at a venue outside RTE.

But they may well have to go down this route next year - holding it on the Late Late is just not working and is producing bad results.

Lol but a knock off like Dancing With The Stars is ok even though the BBC (which everyone here can see anyway) do a much better version and even the BBCs z-listers are way more high profile than the nobody’s we get. That’s what annoys me realky. They spend money on second class versions of franchise shows and won’t put that cash into shows that could actually be better overall. If we consistently finished top 10 In the final fur a number of years it would be great exposure for artists and technical stage people at an international level.

It's a good point. They've invested a fortune on things like the All Ireland Talent Show and Dancing With The Stars but never seem to have spent a fraction of that on Ireland competing in Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

Whenever I hear, no matter the source, Ireland leading the role of honour I laugh. Technically yes. But our performances were measured like many other disciplines, where points are awarded we might make 3rd overall.

The UK would be second with 5 wins and 18 or 19 2nd place finishes. Sweden would be clear number 1. Most years we can't get out of the semi now our last win was 27 years ago.

I didn’t realise Sweden had six wins to date. Our winningest country crown is probably going this decade I’d say.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

There's always a bit of revisionism when our act fails and 'oh we should have sent x instead'. But honestly, Connolly's song was pure shíte too and would've flopped just as hard as Wild Youth. There's absolutely no way whatsoever she'd have made it out of the semi final, or have been competitive in the final.

A lot of the early enthusiasm for a decent UK placing has disappeared now the live performance has been unveiled. Mae vocals are pretty thin to say the least, although apparently she sounded ok in last night's jury rehearsal.

Don't understand why they've done nothing to mask her vocals. The Polish singer is incredibly weak but she's been drowned out to the extent that she's almost miming to her own song. UK had a shot at top ten but looks like it might be gone now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Thought Georgia was one of the best acts of the second semi final, surprised it didn't get through.

Are there any other towns/cities who could host it though? There's a minimum arena size needed, think it's something around 8,000 seats. There's also a set number of hotel rooms needed for the thousands of fans and delegations who make the trip. You'd also need the space for the Eurovision village, Euroclub etc., it's a totally different kettle of fish to when we last hosted. It'd probably have to be Dublin, think even Cork would be too small nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,690 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

THREE HOURS TO GO!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,473 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Cork has an awful lack of hotels.

It would definitely be Dublin but I don't think hosting is anything we need to worry about any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ursula86

It absolutely will be, and maybe that's the kick up the hole RTE need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Another reason is Ireland doesn't want to win again 🙄 it's ridiculous to be honest in the 90s we won 4 times between 91 and 96 almost sick of winning ,at least we will hold the 3 on the trot for a long time maybe forever , it's just a shame we where in semi final 1 this year as we where up against alot of great songs, we would have gotten through if it where semi final 2 but hey ho doesn't and won't stop me from watching it , at this stage I'm used to Ireland not being in it

Fair play to Liverpool for putting on a great show and embracing Eurovision.

Went back yesterday (didn’t go in the Eurovillage this time as, naturally, the queues to get in were massive), but the whole atmosphere around the city centre was fantastic.

Sadly, I couldn’t find the hotel where Israel was staying.

(Whoops, shouldn’t have typed that.)

So who’s watching it on the BBC and who’s is sticking with RTÉ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,748 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Depends on whether Graham is on stage or commentating!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

True. All I want is to be reasonably competitive, for us to send a song for once that might be a top ten lock or even compete for the top five. We'll be waiting a while for that too though I feel.

Details have been sketchy, all we know is that he’s both co-presenting and co-commentating with Mel Giedroyc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭archfi

IMO, this is what is wrong with modern ESC - vocals have to be masked now cos some performers at a *SONG contest can't sing or hold a note!

It'll soon turn into a total mimefest as performance is deemed the most important aspect.

*Yes, being able to sing is pretty important as is the songwriting as that's what the prize is apparently awarded for.

Crazy stuff at a fluff tv show, I know ;-)

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Everyday, I fall in love with Dadi Freyr more and more.

Giving out ice cream and a short set in Queen Square… :)

• Advertisement

Dadi Freyr on ‘Pointless Celebrities’ right now!

Advertisement